Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

40 Pages V  « < 38 39 40  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chilcot: Iraq War Inquiry, To be held next year
bilbo.s
post 16th Mar 2010, 05:42pm
Post #586

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Another nutter - a lot of them about.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
murn
post 16th Mar 2010, 06:05pm
Post #587

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,825
jeez I am actually in agreement with Bilbo on this one rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 16th Mar 2010, 06:13pm
Post #588

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
S--t happens! tongue.gif Is there hope yet for the world? biggrin.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 17th Mar 2010, 12:38am
Post #589

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (murn @ 16th Mar 2010, 06:15pm) *
hope there are no young children living within the vicinity of his office dry.gif

I found it hard to believe that any one, regardless of his opinion of the military, could actually make such a statement. I really do expect that he'll regret having been so stupid.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
GG
post 4th Jul 2016, 09:50pm
Post #590

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Alex Salmond: The coup against Corbyn was planned to stop him calling for Blair’s head after Chilcot

In normal political times Wednesday would see the most dramatic event of the year.

Thirteen years after the Iraq war and seven years after the start of his Inquiry, Sir John Chilcot will deliver his findings. In particular for the relatives of the 179 service personnel who died, but also for everyone living with the consequences of this conflict, it has been a long time coming.

However, such has been the all enveloping chaos in Westminster too little attention has been paid to the coming Chilcot report. When the European roof is falling in on one Prime Minister it is difficult to concentrate on just how a previous one destabilised the planet.

Behind his increasingly furrowed brows Gordon Brown might be forgiven for thinking that his own rocky premiership will be reassessed as a period of relative calm between two great disasters.

It would be a mistake to believe that Chilcot and current events are entirely unconnected. The link is through the Labour Party.

I have been puzzling as to exactly why the Parliamentary Labour Party chose this moment to launch their coup against Jeremy Corbyn and just what explains the desperation to get him out last week. It can hardly be because of a European referendum where Corbyn's campaigning, although less than energetic, was arguably more visible than that of say the likely big political winner Teresa May?

Would it not have been more sensible and certainly less damaging simply to put up another candidate against Corbyn and argue the case to the country? It certainly would have made for less of a pantomime and, with both establishment parties holding simultaneous leadership elections, it would have minimised the damage. So what exactly was the urgency in getting the removal vans to visit the Corbyn's office last week?

I had a conversation on exactly this point with veteran Labour firebrand Dennis Skinner. He answered in one word “Iraq”. The Skinner line is that the coup was timed to avoid Corbyn calling for Blair’s head next Wednesday from the Despatch Box. Indeed many would say that when Corbyn stated that he would be prepared to see a former Labour Prime Minister tried for War Crimes then he sealed his fate as leader of the Parliamentary Labour Party. [...]

Full story here:
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1459494...d_after_Chilcot

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
GG
post 4th Jul 2016, 10:00pm
Post #591

Administrator
Group Icon
An update form 2015:

We don't need to wait for Chilcot, Blair lied to us about Iraq.

Here's the evidence.

Two weeks ago I found myself in conversation with Dr Hans Blix, head of the United Nations weapons inspection team ahead of the Iraq invasion in 2003.

Dr Blix told me that Tony Blair’s claims about Saddam Hussein’s weapons of mass destruction were simply not an accurate reflection of the intelligence provided to the British government.

"The big difference in the British dossier,” Dr Blix told me, “was that they simply asserted that these items are there. But when Mr Blair asserts that there were weapons, well that's an assertion and it was not supported by evidence. Both the UK and the US replaced question marks by exclamation marks. I certainly think it was a misrepresentation."

He was talking about how cautious assessments were turned into bold statements by Blair and the UK government. For example, intelligence chiefs gave this assessment on March 15 2002: “Intelligence on Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction and ballistic missiles programmes is sporadic and patchy.”

Three weeks later, the prime minister stridently claimed: “We know that he [Saddam Hussein] has stockpiles of major amounts of chemical and biological weapons.”

Shaken by the force of his testimony I eventually said to Dr Blix: "That's devastating. And so basically you are telling me that Mr Blair misrepresented the truth, lied indeed to the British parliament in order to make the case for an illegal war?"

He paused. Then he said: "Well, I'm a diplomat, so I'm not using such… such words. But in substance, yes. They misrepresented what we did and they did so in order to get the authorisation that they shouldn't have had". [...]

Full story here:
https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/peter-obor...-heres-evidence

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dykejumper
post 4th Jul 2016, 10:09pm
Post #592

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,271
Campbell is already off the hook, imo Blair will be criticised but it will be the head of MI6 at the time who will cop for the blame.

+Quote Post
GG
post 6th Jul 2016, 10:26pm
Post #593

Administrator
Group Icon

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
wombat
post 7th Jul 2016, 12:22am
Post #594

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
rolleyes.gif another toothless tiger/whitewash .

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post

40 Pages V  « < 38 39 40
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.