Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

40 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chilcot: Iraq War Inquiry, To be held next year
carmella
post 13th Nov 2009, 10:09am
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
From the Herald Scotland.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-i...E56T1GJ20090730

Not before time - this will be interesting to hear, I shall be glued when this is aired.

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 13th Nov 2009, 10:19am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Hmm, whos to blame?

Any bets that it won't be "The Usual Suspects"

Aye, will be a very interesting read and not withoot some fireworks too!

I remember flying through Kuwait the night the hostilites began, and thought to maself; "This rammy will make a many a good book."

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 13th Nov 2009, 11:30am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
You're right Rabbie, and I wonder if the questions with regard to Dr. David Kelly will be brought up - we shall have to wait and see.

I often enjoy (depending on subject matter) watching the interrogations before the Commons Select Committee.

It's too early to say if this will be broadcast live, probably not, probably just reported on a daily basis in the media. Given its importance, perhaps we will see some of the live coverage.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dugald_old
post 13th Nov 2009, 11:59am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,553
I read the newspaper article you mentioned Carmalla, and found it interesting. Enquires such as this concerning government behavior frequently lead to nothing being done, let's hope this will not be the case here. I detest this man Blair and would dearly love to see him keel-hauled! The one aspect of this inquiry to which I am really looking forward, is a confrontation between parents of dead soldiers and this man who had much to do with the Iraq crime... i'll be very surprised though, if such a confrontation ever takes place. I can imagine Tony-the-creep scurrying in and out a side door before any of the parents have a chance to say their piece!

The Dr. David Kelly affair, must I feel, feature to some extent surely? If this gent carrying out the "Enquiry" is as capable as his rank suggests he is, there might just be a chance of the Kelly suicide being brought up...it desrves some discussion. At the time it happened, I was so surprised and disappointed that there appeared to be so little attention taken of it. Wonder if Kelly would have taken his life had he realised it would hardly cause a ripple.

+Quote Post
auldbutcher
post 20th Nov 2009, 02:22pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,459
yep i won't hode my breathe here its odds on it will be a white wash ,still i live in hope if there was any justice in this world this guy blair would be standing along side these serb warlords who are standing trial for war crimes including genocide ,if not that then being tried here for lying to the house o commons, thus leading into the unfair invasion of another country and the subsequent devastation this caused. on a brighter note folks this grininng hyena o a man has had his hopes o european president,s job dashed, thus robbing him of another chance tae further the trail o corruption he leaves behind i.e the house o commons and the house o lords . the real blow would be the salary and perks he would have weaseled out of this jo, for as we all know he ,and the aussie kids cancer robber ie, his cherie ah more ,love the feel o the green back dollar.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 20th Nov 2009, 04:22pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
auldbutcher - I have also seen on one of the newsgroups, where individuals have expressed the same opinion that Blair and Bush should stand trial because of the war in Iraq as it was based on lies, lies and more damned lies. Blair has come in for a lot of flack because of his support for Bush during this.

I don't think he did actually stand a chance of being elected European President, but until this week Brown was supporting him - that has all changed. As you will probably be aware, people whom we have never heard of have been elected.

These individuals were duly elected during a Dinner, we have never been told anything about the decision process. Have you or any of the others contributing to this thread, ever heard of the two individuals named?

I haven't. The Belgian Prime Minister Herman Van Rompuy, apart from the fact that he is the Belgian Prime Minister - what do I know about him and why he was thus elected. Catherine Ashton, or to give her the title she appears to be known by Baroness Ashton of Upholland. She is one of the many currently unelected Labour stooges of this Government. Indeed, I don't know if she has ever had what we might call a 'proper' job - where did she come from etc. Well she has now been named as high representative for foreign affairs and security policy. I have read articles today that say she is so out of touch with the British people - like the rest of her party.

Anyway, I digress.

I think this Inquiry like so many before will not tell us anything other than a rehash of past lies, phrased differently. But, I shall stand to be corrected if I am wrong.

I watched Question Time last night, and heard Clare Short say that Tony Blair didn't have a chance of becoming President of Europe, and I think it's worth remembering too that when we went to war in Iraq much of Europe did not agree - that alone to me meant Tony Blair would not be elected, despite the fact that we are a member of the European Community.

Clare Short resigned from the Cabinet over the war in Iraq. I was looking at her book, where she stated when giving evidence to the Foreign Affairs select committee on 17th June 2003, a month after her resignation from the Cabinet over Tony Blair’s policy on Iraq, when she was asked if she thought she had been deliberately deceived by him in the run-up to the war, she said that she believed that Blair saw it as ‘an honourable deception’.

I bet she will be glued, if not actually called, to this Inquiry to see what comes out of it.
I think it will be interesting to see who gives evidence.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tommy Kennedy
post 20th Nov 2009, 05:39pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 54
Yes, it will be a white wash with a lot of 'Ah,well, if buts' - like sport, when 'your' team loses - it was because of, this/that and that lousy ref.

My first post on the board when Iraq was accused of having WMDs was '

'Liars, Liars, Liars, pants on fire''

I said then, and say again: The absolute proof that Iraq had no WMDs was that the the U.S. invaded it!!! - U.S. losses would have been great and.....according to Blair, Cyprus would have been attacked with a WMD within 45 minutes.

The 4 major conflicts the U.S. has been involved in since WW2, Result:
Korea - Draw
Vietnam - Defeat
Iraq - a disaster, plus loss of credibilty thru out the world
Afghanistan - a fiasco

Major result: Smaller, less powerful countries have learned the military power of U.S. can be challenged.
There is a similarty here to Britains 'Boar war'; altho' Britain won in the end it was the beginning of the end of the British Empire, colonies learned that Britain's supremacy could be challenged.

Iraq/Afghanistan is the beginning of the end of the American Empire, for as said, other countries are seeing that their military might can be challenged. Add to that while U.S. is 'wasting' it's resources; the countries that U.S doesn't 'Like' is growing in 'ecconomical & military might.'

The U.S. Neo-Cons declared plan of 'Full Spectrum Dominence' is in tatters!

+Quote Post
auldbutcher
post 20th Nov 2009, 06:06pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,459
an honourable deception rolleyes.gif she sounds like a true blairite next time i,m in court givin evidence an perjure mysel al say sorry yer judgeship its an honourable deception .you see what i mean the bigger yer wealth and standing you are above the law.blair, i detest him, for all its faults the old labour was based on truth and integrity, and if you like was the one party that sought to better the welfare o the common man ,enter blair who turned it into a corrupt version o the tory party ,his policys have left us with scroungers that don,t ever need tae work ,feral kids wie nae discipline i.e mammy who,s ma daddy ffs. and the war that bleeds us of money and man power that a small country like oors can ill afford .and in doing so destroyed the labour party ,hi but what the hell ,he made himself a klondyke how do i rate him as a labour leader JUDAS comes tae mind .

+Quote Post
carmella
post 20th Nov 2009, 06:15pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
My dislike of Tony Blair is well documented, and for all the right reasons, some of which have already been pointed out or discussed here.

He did ok out of his time as PM as we all know, and because his wife Cherie fell in love with the late Sir John Gielgud's Wotton House stately home, he bought it for her at a cost of more than 4 million - not bad eh! He is still making money, and she is too of course. And the wee hoose, is open to the paying public in the summer months - more money, but I guess a place like that needs a lot of money for it's keep biggrin.gif Another who did very well springs to mind, Lord and Lady Kinnock who made a pile out of working in the EU Parliament. - but perhaps that's another story for another time.

Here's a wee article.....

http://www.propertyinvestmentproject.co.uk...n-stately-home/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tommy Kennedy
post 20th Nov 2009, 06:28pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 54
Another forecast I made of Blair was the he was a' Religous fanatic' - that this was his reason for going with Bush on Iraq - not that Bush was a fanatic, he was/is a phony Christian

+Quote Post
carmella
post 20th Nov 2009, 06:31pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Tommy Kennedy @ 20th Nov 2009, 06:26pm) *
Another forecast I made of Blair was the he was a' Religous fanatic' - that this was his reason for going with Bush on Iraq - not that Bush was a fanatic, he was/is a phony Christian

Hear! Hear!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 20th Nov 2009, 06:43pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Nice to see everyone is keeping an open mind about the outcome rolleyes.gif

Carmella, I don't think there is enough paper to record all of those from all the parties who have done well on the back of being at the Palace of Westminster.

Now, can someone remind me, at the time of the invasion, which of the major parties leaders disagreed with the action based on their access to the information avalable at that time? Answers please on a very small peice of paper unsure.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
wombat
post 20th Nov 2009, 09:39pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
aye tommy but hes a phony christian that nose the pope laugh.gif or shood that be brown nose ,now that he's in " their" club he can get a papal pardon bestowed on him ,see the method in his madness ?,aw this mob pull each others puddins ,an no a grain o trooth among thim .

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
andypisces
post 20th Nov 2009, 11:05pm
Post #14

City Key Holder
Member No.: 21
you should read...."the prosecution of george w bush for murder" written by vincent bugliosi. Vincent was the prosecutor on the charles manson trials. he makes a strong case agains t bush....Andy

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 20th Nov 2009, 11:51pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,183
Another forecast I made of Blair was the he was a' Religous fanatic'

What are the defining characteristics of a 'religious fanatic', and how does Tony Blair demonstrate these?

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post

40 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.