Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

30 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Political Correctness Craziness Must Stop!, Examples of political correctness
Rabbie
post 7th Oct 2009, 10:21pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Only wimen go intae Labour, and ah heard that hurts..

So bugger that option.

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cash-Ma-Giro
post 7th Oct 2009, 10:27pm
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,023
QUOTE (27stowst @ 7th Oct 2009, 11:32pm) *
Honestly, could she no' jist huv said "Look Mr Hunter, ah know ye didnae know but there are some weans that are allergic tae nuts and ma son is wan o' them. Could ye be a bit merr cerrful in future? Ta" An' then if he ignored her request that wid be the time tae report him!! (Ah'm assuming the wean wiz ok??)

Perfect sense stowst, why could she not just have quietly said that to the poor guy.

QUOTE (27stowst @ 7th Oct 2009, 11:35pm) *
Sorry, just realised it would be a different eccent for an Embru wumman!!

End a Corstorphine one at thet dear girl.

QUOTE (Heather @ 8th Oct 2009, 12:01am) *
I don't know anyone who has any respect for the PC Brigade.
This Country has survived for centuries without them.
Who are they anyway and what good have they ever done ???

Exactly Heather, just who are these people? they never reveal themselves. Perhaps it would simply not be PC to reveal themselves, what.

QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 8th Oct 2009, 12:13am) *
A more meaningful term should be suggested.
On that note I can now place my vote.

Can always rely on you TeeHeeHee to come up with the perfect answer. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Remember, just above those clouds,
the sun is always shining.

+Quote Post
27stowst
post 7th Oct 2009, 11:25pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,716
laugh.gif laugh.gif @ Rabbie.

--------------------
Slainte Mhor

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 7th Oct 2009, 11:44pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Has anyone ever seen a Child with a Nut Reaction react when they're mistakenly given one?
I have....it is HORRENDOUS for the Child, their Eyes Bulge and roll back, their tongue swells and they gasp for breath.
Nuts can KILL Children who are allergic to them....Adults also.

Our boys School is a Nut Free Zone......there are posters outside those Classrooms that have Children with Deadly Reactions to Nuts inside them.
With a deadly reaction it means even the oil from the Peanut that is not even visible can kill them if touched.

Sorry Stowst, perhaps the Mum was a wee bit too horrified and scared with what COULD have happened to quietly on the side say to the Lollipop guy gaunni no dae that pal!
The Woman wis freaked...her Child could have died!

Lollipop mans a big boy, he should be acting like one and saying cripes never even gave that a thought, awfy sorry an ah'll make sure it's Nut Free sweets fae noo on pet.
I'm sure the Mans a good man and loves the kids...but he's lucky the wean never ate the sweet or it wouldnae be jist the huff he's in........he could have the guilt of an accidental death on his hands.

This was an accident, well meaning but everybody if they don't know SHOULD know that Nut Reactions are prevalent in todays World.

Och naw....on second thoughts, kin we no jist blame it on the PC Brigade....aye...moan...easy targets.

What exactly has anything Politically Correct got to do with this ?

Just my opinion.

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 8th Oct 2009, 12:48am
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
I've never reacted to nuts, Catherine; not the ones you're on about here, but I've always hated that strange feeling at the back of my throat when I've eaten peanuts. especially and maybe too many cashews or whatever.
Was my immune system sending me overload signals?

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 8th Oct 2009, 01:25am
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Maybe THH......I don't really know the why's or what's or hows about how Today's Society have picked up this Allergy.
Someone once explained it in Laymens Terms to me that it is because it is so widely used in so many Products that eventually there becomes a reaction to it.

The bottom line is it is DEADLY to many.

I feel for this Man who has proudly done a great job over the years, but at the same time his huffy reaction to criticism is a bit ridiculous, ESPECIALLY since it relates to his great love with the kids.
If I knew him I'd say it's okay, nobody is disputing the fact that you are GREAT for these kids....but you have to be careful.
Ce la vie.......If we aw jumped on the huff wagon the first criticism we had on a job , especailly after forty years, then we're talking Pride comes before the fall.

This isnae about the Lollipop man, and he's auld enough that he should get it........it's about a narrow escape.
He should be glad of the wake up call.

As for yourself THH, I know nothing about it, but Id be careful.
Maybe it's like Wasp Stings..the more you have the deadlier it can become?

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 8th Oct 2009, 01:37am
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Thanks Catherine.
I'm with you on the stings.
They also don't effect me too much but I know what they can do to others.
You're right about the Lollypop man though. No matter how good he is, or how experienced, he didn't know that and should have reckoned that that was a close call when it was pointed out to him instead of going off about it.
To my mind he was being more than just huffy.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 8th Oct 2009, 01:52am
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Thanks THH.....Hate tae tell ye and hope it disnae offend ye, {though in reading your Posts somehow I don't think it will} but ye'v jist agreed wae someone who doesn't always agree with PC Parliamo, but tries to understand the bigger picture it tries to represent and is more for than against laugh.gif

I have respect for the PC Brigade Heather, I don't always agree with them.........but I admire their 'try' of accomodating across the board ideals.
Hopefully this doesn't come as a shock to yourself and others, if it does then I have to step up to the plate a bit more.

There's room for change in us all, so the saying goes. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 8th Oct 2009, 02:02am
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Catherine, I can be wound-up ... go on, try me, tongue.gif ... but my days of being offended are long long gone since I learned that one either takes offence or doesn't ... so I don't.
By the way , it was Mary taught me that. Int she clever?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cash-Ma-Giro
post 8th Oct 2009, 08:44pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Catherine @ 8th Oct 2009, 03:30am) *
<cut>but at the same time his huffy reaction to criticism is a bit ridiculous, <cut>

I took a different take on it Catherine. He acknowledged he made a mistake with the nutty bar, and hopefully he recognized it was a very close call.

I must own up and say, plonker that I am, and in my ignorance, the nut allergy reaction has never entered my head when I hand my grandchildren and their little friends sweet's. So there's a positive outcome from all of this by highlighting "nut allergy awareness", and hopefully raises awareness to others like me.

It was the high five that threw him. The parents accepted the high five was a sign of friendship between him and the children. It the was the high five reaction from the council he couldn't understand.

Perhaps it was the final straw for him as far as the 'Elf and Safety" are concerned.

Latest I heard is that local politicians are asking the council to re-think its decision, and Councillor Ricky Henderson, Labour's education spokesman said "I think they have taken it a bit too far"

Don't think this might be a criticism against you, I promise you it isn't.

Shalom smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 8th Oct 2009, 08:57pm
Post #41

It was the high five that threw him.

Where does it say that?

+Quote Post
Heather
post 8th Oct 2009, 08:58pm
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I think it went a bit too far with the Lollipop man and the Council over re-acted with the high fives.

This tells us about nut allergy.

Nut allergy can produce:

A tingling feeling in the lips or mouth
An itchy nettlerash (urticaria, hives), either where the nuts touch you, or elsewhere
Swelling (angioedema), either where the nuts touch you, or elsewhere
Swelling in the throat, causing difficulty in swallowing or breathing
Asthma symptoms
Vomiting
Cramping tummy pains
Diarrhoea
Faintness and unconsciousness
Death due to obstruction to breathing or more rarely extreme low blood pressure (anaphylactic shock)

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Cash-Ma-Giro
post 8th Oct 2009, 09:18pm
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Heather @ 8th Oct 2009, 11:03pm) *
I think it went a bit too far with the Lollipop man and the Council over re-acted with the high fives.

This tells us about nut allergy.

Nut allergy can produce:

A tingling feeling in the lips or mouth
An itchy nettlerash (urticaria, hives), either where the nuts touch you, or elsewhere
Swelling (angioedema), either where the nuts touch you, or elsewhere
Swelling in the throat, causing difficulty in swallowing or breathing
Asthma symptoms
Vomiting
Cramping tummy pains
Diarrhoea
Faintness and unconsciousness
Death due to obstruction to breathing or more rarely extreme low blood pressure (anaphylactic shock)

Thanks Heather, your post is an excellent piece of ecucation for me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jim D
post 8th Oct 2009, 09:58pm
Post #44

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 91
I was involved with my sons school for many years, including being chairman of the school board (school committee). If a school had any children who had a peanut allergy the staff would declare the school a "nut free zone". That involved teachers, parents, kitchen staff - the works! The staff would be trained in administering the "epi-pen" in the event that the child went into anaphylactic shock. The pens were kept separately in a central place for easy access. Kids were not allowed to bring sweets into school, just incase they contained traces of nuts. I would have expected the lollipop man to have been made fully aware.
If a child goes into anaphylactic shock they deteriorate very quickly. So I can understand the parent but I can also sympathise with the lollipop man, who has not been made aware of the dangers of giving the kids sweets.

--------------------
Jim D

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit - NO man is at all hours wise.

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 9th Oct 2009, 03:27am
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Hi guys,

Over here, kids have their Epi pens in the class, and also spare Epi Pens in the Office.
Jim it is rampant for want of a better word in the schools here, most Schools are Nut Free Zones.

To be quite honest if it is a known fact in Scotland about the same {Nut Allergy} then I personally find it shocking that this Lollipop Man was not made aware of it through the nature of his job alone far less his being off the School grounds.
That said, the more it is spoken of the more the info gets out there.
That's the Positive and it's great.

Cash I agree....the High five seems to be an add on, but Id like to think it was more the sweetie exchange than anything and how lucky was THAT brigade that pays the Lollipop man, they're jist trying to flannel with more add ons and hope to hide the fact they screwed up with a MAJOR....and don't have a bigger negligence issue on their hands.
Must be Friday your side...Shalom Shabbat biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

30 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.