Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bad Manners, Do people not say thank you anymore?
maryhillgal
post 14th Jun 2008, 11:31am
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,960
This is a pet bug-bear of mine and I wonder if anyone else feels the same.

Does anyone else notice a sad lack of manners these days? In the last 6 weeks I have bought 2 x 50.00 gift vouchers [one for a neighbour's son and one for my son's friend who were married within a week of each other]. OK I know in this day and age 50.00 is not a huge sum of money but we are pensioners living on a fixed income and to me it is the thought that counts. Not one of these boys or their wives has chosen to acknowledge the gift and I am so angry.

I brought my children up as I was brought up, to always thank people for gifts [if they were on the phone then call them and if not write a letter].

About 20 years or more ago friends of ours who emigrated to Australia wrote and asked if my husband [who worked for a brewing company] could get optic measures and loads of other things for the bar they were building in their house. My husband duly did so and we posted off a box to them which cost us 25.00 to send. They never even said thanks but constantly complained about the duty they had to pay on the stuff and not once did they offer to refund the postage. I don't mind doing things for friends but I thought this was a bit rich!!

How do others on the Boards feel about this?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Melody
post 14th Jun 2008, 12:54pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Sometimes Maryhillgal, I feel that good manners are a thing of the past sadly. Everywhere we go we seem to see examples of bad manners. sad.gif Remember in days gone by when doing business in the bank or doctor's surgery or even just shopping, people used to be quite discreet when attending to you, gentler. Nowadays your business seems to be announced to the world and his brother wherever you go. I find myself getting angry with the world at times and it's often down to and as simple as being exposed to bad manners. I wonder why good manners are not as important to people any longer? Mibbe I'm just getting old.

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 14th Jun 2008, 01:16pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
Am with you 2 ladies on this topic as civillity costs nothing, and some people that are in my life keep pulling up my son and his daughter but when this person and their family do somthing we are supposed to ignore it as im a wee scottish woman a bite my tounge,,,, but if a ever let go on this person about manners they will wish they never heard of the word and that is going to happen sooner than they will realise as a think 11months is a long time to keep quiet and I have told my son to keep this person as far away from me as possible because he knows im at my low tolerance point and the emergency button on my pressure cooker is just about to blast off . thanks MHG for a good topic welldone that lady wub.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
tammy
post 14th Jun 2008, 03:26pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,054
MHG, I agree with you....i think it is very bad mannaers and quite rude actually for those two couples to not give you at least a simple thank you for your gifts to them. A gift is simple a wonderful thing..let's the person know you thought of the..not he amount spent. Unfortunately some think otherwise. I ofte am quite shocked when I see wedding registry's and gifts that are on the lists now. Don't get me wrong, I think they are helpful in other ways, but some gifts I think wow never in a million years would I ask or expect someone to buy me that. If you know what I mean? But it's common curtesy that I have a problem with. The day to day please and thank you manners. The thing that makes me see red is the lack of mannrs in the shops when I am buying something. And 9 times out of 10 if when I'm paying and I don't get a please or a thank you I mention it to the person serving me. Sadly I think manners are a thing of the past. And I still believe in a thank you card or wedding gifts, graduation gifs etc. Recently we also gave a card with money to a friend's son for his grauation nd we have yet to hear a thank you and I said to Phil that is very rude. So, I understand what you're feeling.

+Quote Post
maryhillgal
post 14th Jun 2008, 08:06pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Thanks for all your comments. I am so glad everyone is in agreement. What does it cost to say "thank you?" Two wee words but a helluva big meaning. I am glad I got that off my chest.

+Quote Post
stratson
post 14th Jun 2008, 08:24pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Think those persons treated you very shabbily MHG. If it was 50pence I'd expect a "Thank You.".never mind 50, by the way I think 50 is a lot of money.
Shocking to say the least. Bad manners is one of my two" Hates". The other is being taken for granted.
You will in time have your opportunity to address the people concerned without you being bad mannered. mad.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 15th Jun 2008, 01:49am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
A simple "thank you', costs nothing , but sadly an awful lot of just simply do not have the good manners to use it. mad.gif sad.gif

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post
Elma
post 15th Jun 2008, 07:27am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
I have to tell you what happened to me today. I was at the Greyhound station to pick up the box of DVDs for our store. The man in charge has hurt his back and said he couldn't carry the package out for me, it is quite heavy. I was about to pick it up when a young man in his mid-twenties who was standing behind me said, "Let me take that for you." He then picked it up and carried it out to my car. When I thanked him he stated that he couldn't stand there and not help me. I was delighted to think that chivalry is not altogether dead.

+Quote Post
maryhillgal
post 15th Jun 2008, 03:08pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
What a nice young man Elma. Well done to him.

+Quote Post
tammy
post 15th Jun 2008, 03:23pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,054
Well, that is very nice to hear Elma. He's been taught well. smile.gif

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 15th Jun 2008, 06:43pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
MHG, I think you are very right here and I for one have a huge issue when I feel that some people are not being mannerly, rude people are a big turn off to me, think there is nothing nicer than having great manners and and great personal hygiene.

+Quote Post
Macbeast
post 16th Jun 2008, 07:22am
Post #12

Super Resident
Member No.: 2,656
Thank you for bringing this up, MHG biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
petalpeeps
post 16th Jun 2008, 04:21pm
Post #13

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,923
Maryhillgal , As my wee granny Borland used to say to me , manners cost nothing. I totally agree , that you should have been given a verbal thankyou at least , regardless of size or amount of gift . A small thankyou card would have been even nicer .

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 17th Jun 2008, 03:58am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
I think it’s dreadful if you give a gift and then don't get a thank you. I waited eight months to get a card for a wedding gift. The story goes they were waiting on the special thank you cards with their picture. When we booked the photographer for my daughters wedding last year, it was one of the things I asked about. I was told it was not unusual to wait about six months for your thank you card.
Sorry I said that’s not good enough we had our 's in four weeks. Same think this year for youngest daughter wedding they have been told four weeks is the longest we will wait.
So many things are taken for granted now, but not everyone is the same. I did something for a wee girl who is a friend of my daughters; she arrived at my door with a card for $20 for Tim Horton’s coffee shop. She said oh no I just had to thank you in person. Nice eh!
So manners are still out there.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 17th Jun 2008, 11:41am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Yes Isobel absolutely manners are still out there I attended a graduation supper on Sunday night, next morning (Monday) I recieved yet another thank you this time by way of email for the gift that I had given, and a wedding that I attended two yrs ago,,,still no thank you cards have been sent out!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.