Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Springburn Public Baths, Anyone remember them?
Kayleigh
post 16th Jan 2004, 02:25pm
Post #31

Lord Provost
Member No.: 248
Teeny hen never a dull moment in Springburn, ah remember wan Friday night an ah wis cumin hame fae the brownies, ah jist walked in the close tae go up the stairs an ah heard a scuffle looked doon the dunny an sumbudy wis being stabbed ah ran aw the way up the stairs screaming fur ma mammy, next thing the polis wis everywhere, an aw the neighbours were oot tae see whit wais wrang wae me, ah hud the nightmares fur ages an ah didnae go doon the dunny fur ages masel efter that. ohmy.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jan Williams
post 16th Jan 2004, 06:13pm
Post #32

Super Resident
Member No.: 628
Hi Kayleigh, I can remember that incident in Kay St, I was about 11 or 12 at the time, hey maybe not as the memory likes to be selective these days, must ask the wee mammy. Where did you go to the brownies, I went to the brownies in the Salvation Army halls in Edgefauld Rd I think it was, the street down at the bottom of Reidhouse St and at the bottom of Northcroft Rd. If the memory is in working order tonight I think there was a derelict movie house somewhere around there. When I was about 7 (I think) there was a big accident there that involved a big truck.
Well I remember the swings in Springburn Rd, do you remember the ones off Edgefauld Rd, we called them the wee swings. Can't remember the streets name. My sister had a bad accident there and we were never allowed to go back.

+Quote Post
Teeny
post 19th Jan 2004, 02:21am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 37
Gawd Kayleigh, nae wunner ye hid nightmares hen. That wid be enuff tae frighten onybiddy, n'er mind a kid. Did ye ever find oot whit happened tae the poor soul?? Ah'd imagine ye'd hiv gein the perpetrator a real fright wi' yer screamin and cood well huv saved the poor victim's life!!

Teeny tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Kayleigh
post 19th Jan 2004, 10:16am
Post #34

Lord Provost
Aye Jan ah remember the salvation army halls, if ma memory's right thats where we went oan a Friday night tae watch the cartoons tant they pit oan fur us weans, popeye, mickey mouse an that. Ah went tae the brownies it the Johnstone church jist across the road fae Sellyns. Ah used ta go tae the wee swings jist aff the Edgefauld road, ah wisnae allowed tae go tae the big swings ah wis too wee tae the croas the road, although ah did withoot ma mam knowing, but wan o the neighbours seen us an telt ma mam an ma da pit me ower his knee an skelpt ma backside raw.
Teeny hen ah didnae hing aboot tae fun oot whit happened, an ma mammy didnae talk aboot things like that in front o us, (she thoat she wis protectin us, too late fur that) ah wiz only 7 years auld it the time. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Teeny
post 20th Jan 2004, 02:33am
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 37
Shoor enuff Kayleigh, the parents o' those days dinnae discuss such things wis the weans, bit ah thoat thit ye'd hiv heard awe the neeburs discussing it o'oer the gerdin fence (when ye wur playing tig amongst the clean sheets oot oan the washin' line). rolleyes.gif

Teeny

+Quote Post
Kayleigh
post 20th Jan 2004, 10:05am
Post #36

Lord Provost
Aw Teeny hen, gerden fence, washing line, ye must huv been dead posh, ah didnae know whit a gerden fence wis hen, naw we hud a back yerd wae middens nae washing lines in oor tenements in Northcroft road, it wis doon the steamie wance a week, an it wis only in the school holidays ye goat tae go tae the steamie wae yer maw, an if ye wur lucky ye wid hear aw the wummen gossiping then, if they furgoat ye were there that is. Ah bet ye hud an inside toilet anaw pal. wub.gif

+Quote Post
MaryC
post 20th Jan 2004, 03:09pm
Post #37

Unpacking
Member No.: 439
Great to be back - love the new look. I remember Woodside baths and Springburn (lived in Possil between the two). My memories of Woodside was in the Summer it was great to go there. If your time was up you could grab your clothes and run outside and join the queue to pay in again. Great times. Do you remember the old woman who lived low down in one of the streets nearby selling toffee apples and table out of her windae? Springburn baths was great for the fritters in the roll fae the chippie.

+Quote Post
Kayleigh
post 3rd Feb 2004, 03:26pm
Post #38

Lord Provost
Dus oanybudy remember John Carrick Street in Springburn, it wis wan o the streets it the tap o the Northcroft road hill, an dus oanybudy know oanybudy thit used tae live there. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Heather
post 6th Feb 2004, 01:14am
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Mary
I remember a woman who used to sell toffee apples out of her kitchen window. I think she lived in either Raglan St. or Lyon St. both off the Garscube road, you could cut through there on to North Woodside Road down where the Woodside Bath were.
The toffee apples were great. We used to knock on her window to ask when they would be ready. They were fresh made everyday. yummy.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
donny
post 14th Feb 2004, 01:14pm
Post #40

Unpacking
Member No.: 954
remember springy baths well also went tae toonheid remember them

+Quote Post
*colin weir*
post 23rd Dec 2007, 04:40pm
Post #41

QUOTE (Kayleigh @ 3rd Feb 2004, 03:33 PM) *
Dus oanybudy remember John Carrick Street in Springburn, it wis wan o the streets it the tap o the Northcroft road hill, an dus oanybudy know oanybudy thit used tae live there. wink.gif

i lived in john carrick street 1963-1965 no.12 my mate lesley lived across the road.there was a scrap yard at the top of the road,

+Quote Post
Tennscot
post 1st Feb 2008, 01:23am
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,796
Grew up in Wellfield St. Went to Kay st Baths at least once a week Swimming and or a bath. Went there with the school too (Albert ) Went tae the Steamie wae mah Mammy tae help her carry the Washing. For a trip on the Red car to Pollockshaws was nearly an all day adventure. Townhead Baths... My kitchen window looked in to it from Morrin Square. After I was Married.My daughters had it a bit easier,weatherwise They done all their swimming in So.,California. I have great memories of Springburn. That Vibrant Springburn no longer exists. Sad in so many ways.

+Quote Post
*David Aitken*
post 12th Feb 2008, 09:23am
Post #43

I distinctly remember and have fond memories of the public baths in Kay St.
I was a member of the St Rollox swimming club that used the baths every Monday evening from 9pm to 10pm (if memory serves me right), along with school friends who were also members.
On your way home, the first stop would be the "chippie" in Kay St for the "must have" bag of chips and a couple of onions.
Albert school also used the baths for a period of time.
This all happened in the late fifties and early sixties.

+Quote Post
*pauline liddell*
post 25th Feb 2008, 10:31pm
Post #44

QUOTE (colin weir @ 23rd Dec 2007, 04:47 PM) *
i lived in john carrick street 1963-1965 no.12 my mate lesley lived across the road.there was a scrap yard at the top of the road,

i was born in john carrick street in 1969 i was in the tenement flat top floor i have been trying to get information as i left when i was two when it got knocked down.

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 4th Apr 2008, 02:14am
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
QUOTE (pauline liddell @ 25th Feb 2008, 03:38 PM) *
i was born in john carrick street in 1969 i was in the tenement flat top floor i have been trying to get information as i left when i was two when it got knocked down.
There is mention of John Carrick St on oldspringburn.wetpaint.com it's about the earlier history when Springburn was a vibrant area, Good Luck.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.