Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Springburn Public Baths, Anyone remember them?
Kayleigh
post 5th Jan 2004, 09:58am
Post #16

Lord Provost
Member No.: 248
Hi Jan, I lived round the corner from you in Northcroft road, no 36 top floor single-end, in between the butchers and the barbers. My aunt, uncle and wee cousin lived round the corner in Reidhouse street the first close as you turn into reidhouse street from northcroft road. I went to Albert left in 1971, but knew a lot of people that went to Colston.
Scotslad you've come up trumps again with the photies, the wee chippie where we got our rolls and fritters after the baths, thanks. wink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jan Williams
post 5th Jan 2004, 07:17pm
Post #17

Super Resident
Member No.: 628
Hello Kayleigh,
I couldn't remember if your close was up or down Northcroft Rd,what I do is that there was newsagents on the corner of Riedhouse St and facing that there was the co-op butchers (I think) and wee Albert was behind there, there was a street that ran along side that leading to the school and sort of behind Woolies, no idea what it was called. My Gran lived facing the Boundry Bar in Springburn Rd, my other granny live above the Hawthorn Bar in Hawthorn St, the Possilpark end.

+Quote Post
Kayleigh
post 6th Jan 2004, 04:11pm
Post #18

Lord Provost
Hi Jan I lived straight across from the Lorne bar, Lenzie street was also straight across from our close which led to the srap merchants and wee Albert, I'll never forget my first day at the wee Albert. We were the second half of the hill, and just before you turned into Reidhouse street there was the bookies, I think my auntie was number five Reidhouse street. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Heather
post 8th Jan 2004, 11:07pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Hi David, If you are referring to the baths along North Woodside Road then I also remember them. They were our local baths. There were two swimming pools one each for male and female. The boys pool was much bigger than the girls pool. Mixed bathing was allowed in the boys pool on a Friday night, but the girls used to sneak into the big pool on other days because our own pool was so small. Some attendants turned a blind eye but others would chase us back out.
During the School summer holidays we would queue for an hour or more to get in. We would only be in the pool 20minutes then we would be turfed out. It was better to go early morning as you got longer in the pool. The attendants stood around and made sure everyone used the sprays before going into the pool.
There was a small swing park in the same street and we could play there whilst waiting to get into the pool.
They also had the hot baths. They would be very busy on a Friday night/Saturday morning with the adults getting cleaned up for the weekend.
There was also the Steamie and you could go in there through a door in the boys pool area if the attendant had forgotten to lock it.

Memories from the corner of my mind.

smile.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
jock
post 9th Jan 2004, 12:00am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 32
Thanks Heather, I too remember the North Woodside Rd. baths. Learned how to swim there. Also remember the steamie and the hot baths, The attendant would use a wrench to turn on the water and run the bath then take the wrench and leave.
Good memories.

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 10th Jan 2004, 04:23am
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Does anyone remember the Dennistoun public baths. I remember we would have to line up for ages to get in . You were hardly in when someone would blow the whistle and sure as hell it would be a piece of my clothing being held up ,usually underwear ,so that ment my time was up. Oh but it was worth it .

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
Jan Williams
post 11th Jan 2004, 05:49am
Post #22

Super Resident
Member No.: 628
Hi Kayleigh, now I remember Lenzie St, just couldn't remember the name. I also remember my 1st day at wee Albert,my dad took me to school and I thought I was so smart in the uniform,my "playpiece" was 2 double digestive biscuits with butter on them. I can remember the boy sitting next to me was someone by the name of Ralph Adamson. The name has always stuck in my head. In those days nothing mattered to us we were all carefree and could play in the streets without being worried about anything. Oh!! We lived in No 27 and left when they started to demolish all the tenements in that area.

+Quote Post
kas
post 11th Jan 2004, 06:18am
Post #23

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 8
Isobel is that Whitevale street baths/steamie off the Gallowgate? my inlaws lived there, it must be all demolished now, I heard theres high flats& many changes, cheers Jess

--------------------
Arizona, USA.

+Quote Post
kas
post 11th Jan 2004, 06:36am
Post #24

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 8
GG adm; Martin any info on a public baths &swimming in the St; Andrews square area, & perhaps dates, family story that my great grandfather died after an accident, on opening day, Ive tried to find out but no luck, thank you kas

--------------------
Arizona, USA.

+Quote Post
Mercy
post 11th Jan 2004, 02:20pm
Post #25

Super Resident
Member No.: 812
Finally, someone mentioned Whitevale Baths...a went there awe the time..whit a great wee place tae swim. Then there wis the Shettleston Baths..anither great place....FRITTERS....furgoat awe aboot them until noo..deeeelicous! Ma mooth is wattering! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
jessiemac
post 11th Jan 2004, 04:39pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9
Pollokshaws baths was our local swimming pool, I'll bet thats where everyone from Nitshill,househillwood ,priesthill, pollok, maybe, thornliebank, Carnwadric, & Shawlands went to swim, happy memories to all smile.gif

--------------------
Santa Monica CA

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 12th Jan 2004, 08:06pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Kas thats right Whitevale , some great memories . Mercy also spent lots of happy time at Shettleston Baths.That was years later when we move to Ruchazie.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
Mercy
post 13th Jan 2004, 01:34pm
Post #28

Super Resident
Member No.: 812
Isobel..at the Shettleston Baths I always remember wondering if the wee fellas could see intae the "dress cubicles" when we the wee lassies were getting intae or ootae oor clothes...Lassies oan the top(second) floor..guys down below. ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Kayleigh
post 16th Jan 2004, 10:12am
Post #29

Lord Provost
Ah wis talking tae an auld boyfriend fae Springburn last night an he reminded me o the seige that happened in Kay street in the 1960's. Apparantley a man hud hijacked a coal lorry in Cowcaddens an the polis followed him aw the way tae Springburn, the boys were aw playing fitba in the american swings in Springburn when this man came charging through the swings wae a gun an the polis chasing efter him, (ma auld boyfriend an his wee pals still carried oan playing fitba true glaswegian style), the man wis chased tae Kay street up a close an the polis shot him. Any o youse fae Springburn remember this, it wis aboot the mid 1960's.

+Quote Post
Teeny
post 16th Jan 2004, 11:05am
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 37
Well Kayleigh, awe's a kin say is ah'm gled a came fae Castlemilk, nice 'n peaceful therr laugh.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Aug 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.