Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glenconner Park ( The Coup ), Black ash pitches in Royston
*BigArturo1*
post 20th Jan 2011, 02:12pm
Post #1

Does anyone remember playing football on Glenconner Park, known locally in the Garngad as "the coup". There were four back ash pitches which stretched from the end of Charles Street to the railway line. They were absolute murder to play on with the uneven playing surface and any tackle that involved you going to ground would result in a black gravel rash on arms and legs. Some of my pals who played amateur football with Cowglen claim they still have some black ash under the skin of their knees from the 1970's ! I remember a local Caley works tournament when one of the players hit the ground face first after a hefty tackle and came up looking like Al Jolson !

The last pitch which bordered the railway line to Springburn was the one to avoid as any shot that went over the bar invariably ended up down the embankment and on to the line. Many a game was help up until someone volunteered to climb down to retrieve the ball and dodge the trains. As kids we acquired many balls for ourselves after the teams had gone home as we played around on the railway line, placing our tin cans with a stick inside it on to the railway line for a train to run over it and flatten the can giving us a ready made tomahawk to play our cowboys and Indian games.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 31st Jan 2011, 08:43am
Post #2

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
BigArturo, I remember playing on the black ash pitches a few times and, as you said, it was not an enjoyable experience at all. The black ash would become engrained in your feet and legs for days. There were also sizeable chunks of black stones lurking just under the top layer – a thoroughly unpleasant playing surface.

There's a good article about the history of Glenconner Park here:

The park, however, remains. Glenconner Park was gifted by Sir Charles to the City of Glasgow with one, overriding condition: that it should remain a green space. A handwritten disposition sets out his wishes. "No building or structures of any kind shall at any time be erected on the said portion of ground, except such as may be required or desirable for the more full use and enjoyment as aforesaid of the park and recreation ground." And so it has been ever since.

Generations of Royston residents have enjoyed its football pitches, bowling greens, playgrounds and trees. And so, one might have imagined, it would remain. Glasgow's own strategic review of parks and open spaces, published this year, upheld the conservation of its small parks "to provide tranquillity, repose and recreation for our citizens". ...

http://news.scotsman.com/magnuslinklater/L...land.2669850.jp

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 31st Jan 2011, 10:17am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
I remember playing on Glennconner somtime in the early sixties against a team known as the Dirty Dozen, well named both as to their style of play and for the fact that every chance they got they would try to get an extra man on the field, if you didnt have someone constantly counting their men you would end up playing against an extra man for at least half the game.
Not my favourite ground both for the black ash causing damage to you and the feeling that you were trying to run through a bog to get to the ball.

+Quote Post
irrie
post 31st Jan 2011, 12:25pm
Post #4

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,735
Morning all. Dont recall playing on these pitches but i have got part of Cowlairs parks just below both knees been there since the 60s.

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 7th Feb 2011, 09:32am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
QUOTE (irrie @ 31st Jan 2011, 10:03pm) *
Morning all. Dont recall playing on these pitches but i have got part of Cowlairs parks just below both knees been there since the 60s.

The "fifty pitches" in Govan were clinker ash pitches. When I was at St. Gerard's we had a kid lost his leg after getting a load of ash in it and not having it seen to right away.

+Quote Post
irrie
post 7th Feb 2011, 12:26pm
Post #6

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,735
QUOTE (Dunvegan @ 7th Feb 2011, 09:10am) *
The "fifty pitches" in Govan were clinker ash pitches. When I was at St. Gerard's we had a kid lost his leg after getting a load of ash in it and not having it seen to right away.

Thats a tragedy for that boy and makes me feel like a lucky man.

+Quote Post
0141black
post 30th Sep 2011, 06:45pm
Post #7

Visitor
Member No.: 11,825
I well recall playing on the coup.

Why anybody ever thought it was a good idea (or even a legal one) to lay down that toxic surface for people to "play" on, is a mystery. Even in the days when most pitches were gravel (albeit red blaes), the coup was a different beast. Never much silky soccer performed there.

--------------------
website - facebook - (please "like) - twitter - @glasgownoir

+Quote Post
stevieb65
post 3rd Aug 2012, 01:15am
Post #8

Unpacking
Member No.: 13,195
QUOTE (BigArturo1 @ 20th Jan 2011, 03:27pm) *
Does anyone remember playing football on Glenconner Park, known locally in the Garngad as "the coup". There were four back ash pitches which stretched from the end of Charles Street to the railway line. They were absolute murder to play on with the uneven playing surface and any tackle that involved you going to ground would result in a black gravel rash on arms and legs. Some of my pals who played amateur football with Cowglen claim they still have some black ash under the skin of their knees from the 1970's ! I remember a local Caley works tournament when one of the players hit the ground face first after a hefty tackle and came up looking like Al Jolson !

The last pitch which bordered the railway line to Springburn was the one to avoid as any shot that went over the bar invariably ended up down the embankment and on to the line. Many a game was help up until someone volunteered to climb down to retrieve the ball and dodge the trains. As kids we acquired many balls for ourselves after the teams had gone home as we played around on the railway line, placing our tin cans with a stick inside it on to the railway line for a train to run over it and flatten the can giving us a ready made tomahawk to play our cowboys and Indian games.

played every sunday for wee archie grants team royston united saturday morning played for the wee roch primary change sometimes in charles bin rooms or the caly .black as black every time still have the scars .saturday afternoon played roch guild across from the hibs royston rd loved it miss it memories the coup .70 80s 90s as you said gettin the ball back from rail lines time wasting pitch 4 . just new to site .dont no much about computers so hope this make sence.stayed roystonhill all my life love it.went to st rochs pri 70s tryin to get kids my twin boys to play football but no one runs local teams anymore bring back the black ash. just a basketball and 5 aside pitch now .new talent basketball player from glasgow

+Quote Post
*Joe Rankint*
post 18th Oct 2015, 03:58pm
Post #9

I played for St Rochs school teams in the late fifties at the coup with some great player's. Some of these guy's went on to play senior football.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 18th Oct 2015, 04:17pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (Joe Rankint @ 18th Oct 2015, 06:06pm) *
I played for St Rochs school teams in the late fifties at the coup with some great player's. Some of these guy's went on to play senior football.

I am sure I remember you Joe, I was at the Roch in the late 50's also. You were one of three brothers if I have got it right.

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 16th Dec 2015, 12:40pm
Post #11

QUOTE (BigArturo1 @ 20th Jan 2011, 02:20pm) *

I cant remember the exact location of the "Fifty Pitches" in the vicinity of Govan, but they were extensively used ash clinker pitches, that were there some time after the 50s. every little team or just blokes going for a practise game on a Saturday used them.

A sorry tale came from them, as an aspiring young soccer player from St.Gerard's team when I was there in the 50s, got a very bad gravel rash there and did not go to hospital but let them clean it out at home. He lost his leg to gangrene a few days later. Although I did not know him very well IO found it distressing that this could happen to a talented and impressionable young man.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.