Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Memories Of Glasgow's Parks, How do you remember them?
jock
post 5th Sep 2003, 04:34am
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 32
Thanks scotslad. Nice to know Ruchill is still there, I used to play fitba on the ash pitches there.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
davyab44
post 5th Sep 2003, 06:11am
Post #32

City Key Holder
Member No.: 429
ANANIE LAURIE, I lived at 239 Langlands Rd. across from Elder park, between Uist St. and the Vogue cinema. My uncle lived on Fairfield St. BETTY & ISOBEL bring back memories of Alexandra park, rolling my Easter egg, (hard-boiled and coloured with crayons). I lived at the Toonheid end of Alexandra Parade and often walked out to the park with my penny cane and net to fish for "baggie-minnies". Do you remember the duck pond?
Thanks to TUMCHIE for the pics.

--------------------
Here's tae us, wha's like us? Damn few an' they're a' deid

+Quote Post
Margaret P
post 5th Sep 2003, 06:35am
Post #33

City Key Holder
Member No.: 25
ananielaurie sorry to take so long to answer you my granda lived 9 elderpark st when I was back 2yrs ago I went over there all new houses the park is still there but not as big as I remember do you remember the big big pond in the middle its still there

+Quote Post
anne
post 6th Sep 2003, 10:22am
Post #34

City Key Holder
Member No.: 35
Hi to all, this is my son Paul in Queens park and that's Victoria Rd inb the background. Long time ago, my son is now 38 yrs old and married with little girl called Chloe Jane. cool.gif

Anne, Perth Aussieland

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
thistle46
post 8th Sep 2003, 03:58pm
Post #35

Resident
Member No.: 216
Hi anne:
Do you remember the Ice Cream shop (I think it was called the Queen's Cafe) just outside the park on the right hand side on Victoria Road - great rasperry ices (to die for!!!)
smile.gif

+Quote Post
maggie2
post 24th Sep 2003, 12:36pm
Post #36

Resident
Member No.: 194
Thanks for all the grand memories! I used to go to Rouken Glenn park....was a lovely place! we rolled our Easter eggs and had jam sandwiches and a bottle of lemonade for a picnic.We would always wander off and explore, and were always being chased by the Parkie!blowing his wee whistle!!.Then as we got older out in the rowing boats with our latest fling!
Sunday school picnics were grand indeed, with boxed lunches, but not as much fun ,because our mothers had us all dressed up! and we dairen't get any muck on our sunday outfits!!And we had to be on our best behaviour too!
Queens Park and Elderslea park were also favourites of mine as a young lass...Used to walk there on a Sunday while courtin' lol then we would go to the local flea pit and watch a horror movie!

+Quote Post
albaliz
post 24th Sep 2003, 01:44pm
Post #37

Super Visitor
Member No.: 109
What a great topic. Alexander Parade park was where we went and I just loved the duck pond. Betty and Isobel, memories when you mentioned going to St. Thomas's school in Riddrie. My mammy was a cleaner in that school and every summer someone had to take the jannie's job while he was on vacation. My mammy did it a lot and that was how we spent the summer. Going in to all the classrooms and kidding on we were teachers. Great days. smile.gif

--------------------
LIZ

+Quote Post
andypisces
post 24th Sep 2003, 10:29pm
Post #38

City Key Holder
Member No.: 21
Hello Jock for some reason i didnt see your post about ruchill park. It is still therre and just looks the same. Every time i go home i go there and go up the flagpole just for the view of maryhill. It is great.You can still walk over the hill to ruchill. Used to slide down the hill towards firhill in the winter on a coal shovel, nae toboaggin. In the summer we would go doon the hill from the park to firhill on a roller skate with a book on it,sitting.The days were never long enough then and everything had its season. Fitba turned tae cricket wi wickets painted or pipe clayed on the wall.We had bools, peever, skipping ropes when we wanted tae impress the lassies. they were better than us at that ONE thing. Releaso,hoppin charlie all the different variations from calling out filmstars names to types of cigarettes. Chappin oan doors sometimes getting one person oan every landin and then shoutin oot and everybody had tae chap a door oan the landing an run like hell. Especially the wan oan the tap flair. Learned tae jump ten stairs at a time dain that.Ach better stoap the memories are a' jist too good........andra

+Quote Post
anne
post 25th Sep 2003, 10:33am
Post #39

City Key Holder
Member No.: 35
Hi thistle46, yes I do remember that cafe and the ice cream was great, we lived in Allison st accross from the Police station and up a bit, there was a lane and next to the lane was a bakery that made the greatest cakes and pies, we could smell it all day long. Across from us was a Mini Mart and the guy who owned it was murdered because he was a poof and he splashed his money around in the pub that was across from that cafe. It could have been the Victoria Arms, seniors moment !!!! unsure.gif

Anne Perth Aussieland

+Quote Post
jock
post 26th Sep 2003, 06:08am
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 32
Andy, chappin on doors also was fun when we tied the handles of two opposing doors together then chapped on both doors.

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 13th Apr 2009, 05:19pm
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
Thanks to Ronnie on Hidden Glasgow

There is a rather nice collection of cigarette cards with scenes of the 1938 Empire Exhibition in Bellahouston Park at the New York Public Library:

http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital...pire+exhibition

+Quote Post
MissTaylor
post 26th Aug 2009, 08:29am
Post #42

Settling In
Member No.: 7,365
In my mind you can't beat Bellahouston Park. Got a few tales to tell about that. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
enrique
post 27th Aug 2009, 01:34pm
Post #43

Lord Provost
Member No.: 1,842
I was fortunate to live between Elder Park and Ballahouston Prk, but the Elder was my favourite, they had a pond where you could use a net and catch tadpoles , and on the summer evenings all the old guys used to bring oot these beautiful racing boats that they had made and then they would race them up and down the pond, near one of the gates ther was one of those giant draught boards where the auld yins used poles with big hooks to move them around , there used to be big crowds watching them with there aye and naw hints to the players.
bellahouston was generally the posh park, this is where you walked your collie dug or had a stroll after church , i got used to it later when out walking with the lassies

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 24th Jul 2013, 07:01pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
All parks have something to offer, but everyone will have a favourite and mine is Kelvingrove. I was there at the weekend and it was as busy as ever. Sadly there was no ice cream van to be seen. Sadder still is the state of the old bandstand (apologies if there is a thread dedicated to it).
Here is an old piece of film from 1926 (well before our time) showing the bandstand as it should be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r80G4El9KiY...be_gdata_player

And by way of contrast have a look at a more recent film by Abandoned Scotland..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5bIcvydGco...be_gdata_player

+Quote Post
Jim D
post 25th Jul 2013, 10:16am
Post #45

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 91
A place I that I don't remember visiting as a child was Glasgow Green. As I got older I've been there countless times and always enjoy it. The People's Palace, the terracotta fountain, the drying green with the old clothes poles. There is also an adventure park.
The place is a great asset to the city for holding outdoor event such as rock concerts, fireworks displays and other events such as the World Pipe Band Championships each august, which this year is over 2 days.

--------------------
Jim D

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit - NO man is at all hours wise.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.