Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Memories Of Glasgow's Parks, How do you remember them?
Isobel
post 16th Aug 2003, 08:22pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Alexandra Park brings back so many memories. Like Betty rolling my egg, fishing for the little taddies. Carrying them home in the jam jars. Betty do you remember the bandstand. Its funny I can remember long summer days, walking up there with my pal and our doll prams. Another story ,used to walk through the park home from St Thomas's school, came out at Sannox Gardens. One winter day I took so long that me and my wee pal got locked in.That was back in the days when wee girls could walk through the park. These days have long gone.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ananie laurie
post 17th Aug 2003, 08:02pm
Post #17

Unpacking
Member No.: 361
laugh.gif Where about in Elderpark Street did your Granda live Margaret,????
I remember Elderpark very well, I remember the beautiful roses that grew at the entrance from Langlands Rd beside the libarary, I believe a lot of the Govan Rd entrance has been change now, the little swing park and the sand pit has gone, I have been told, have not been there for a few years<<<<<<<<

+Quote Post
jannymac
post 17th Aug 2003, 08:09pm
Post #18

City Key Holder
Member No.: 48
the rouken glenpark on the south side of glasgow, or east renfrewshire, is where I rememebr going on our sunday school picnics, its still a nice park to-day

+Quote Post
Kayleigh
post 18th Aug 2003, 11:09am
Post #19

Lord Provost
Member No.: 248
cool.gif Springburn Park is my favourite, Sunday after Sunday school my dad would take my wee sister and I to the park and we would watch grandad play bowls, feed the ducks and have a wee boat ride with grandad. wub.gif

+Quote Post
betty2
post 18th Aug 2003, 02:33pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 56
Lot of building going on at alexandra park just now i think its a school, as you say isobel way back then kids could play safely in the parks not now mores the pity i also went to st thomas's school in riddrieDo you remember the boat pond you it was hard work paddling those boats but we loved every minute of it Then came the cry c/min number nine yir times up biggrin.gif

--------------------
still here in glesca

+Quote Post
Jim D
post 20th Aug 2003, 01:27pm
Post #21

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 91
I remember walking up the Broomloan Road to Bellahouston Park in the summer. playing football near the band stand (now a dry ski slope). Rolling my painted hard boiled egg down the hill at the Empire Exhibition Monument at eastertime. A few decades later, I used the same hill to do "hill-runs" while training.

Now the park has a renovated sports centre, swimming pool, astro turf hockey pitch etc.

--------------------
Jim D

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit - NO man is at all hours wise.

+Quote Post
thistle46
post 26th Aug 2003, 07:08pm
Post #22

Resident
Member No.: 216
Great post - also share the same memories as Paul G re Queen's Park. I remember once my Dad had to plunge into pond to help a little girl that had fallen in.

Always had a "pokey hat" from the vendor at the Shawlands exit.

Making daisy chains and watching the entertainment at the bandshell.

Used to play jacks at Charlie's Swing Park near Queen's Park.

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 26th Aug 2003, 07:28pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
When the family lived in Govanhill, Queen's Park was the nearest of the parks and we went there to hear the music at the bandstand. My father insisted later that when I was very young he took me and my sisters to see Glenn Miller and his Orchestra perform there, early in the war. I do remember that during the war there was a barrage balloon anchored up near the flagpole. In my teenage years I missed the parkie's closing whistle and accidentally got locked in the park with a companion. We climbed the big iron gate on the Pollokshaws Road side and got out. Years later, I happened to meet up with the companion (who was by now a clippie on the trams) and she told me that whenever she passed by the gate on the caurs, she would say to herself "How the H--- did I ever manage to climb that thing"!

+Quote Post
isa
post 2nd Sep 2003, 11:16pm
Post #24

Lord Provost
Member No.: 425
this is for thistle,
can you tell me when your dad fished the little girl out of the pond, i too was fished out by a kind man, this was around 65-67, sorry cannot remember exact year as i was just little when it happenedi was wearing litle white ankle socks, birthday sandals and had a knitted cardigan on over my dress.
we used to go there and meet our grandmother(on our birth mothers side)once a week, we loved it there.

--------------------
gonnae throw us doon a piece Ma

+Quote Post
thistle46
post 3rd Sep 2003, 02:13pm
Post #25

Resident
Member No.: 216
Hi Isa: thanks for your post - we came to Canada in 1957 so it would have been around 1954/55 - must have been another good Samaritan (lol).

We visited the Borders area last year and had a day trip to Glasgow - just had to have a walkabout in the park - very quiet though not like the "old" days. Just a few folk walking their dogs.

Catch you later...thistle smile.gif

+Quote Post
jock
post 3rd Sep 2003, 11:47pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 32
Enjoying the 'parks' postings. Have been to most of them many years ago. But no one has mentioned Ruchill park. Is it still there? As I recall it was up the street and across the canal from Firhill.

+Quote Post
Meg7
post 4th Sep 2003, 07:43am
Post #27

Unpacking
Member No.: 97
QUOTE (PaulG @ 16th Aug 2003, 11:35 AM)
Queens Park was very close to where I lived and I have some great memories of it. It always seemed so big but I suppose when you are little, lots of things seem big.

Firstly there was the pond where you could sail your model boats or go out on a paddle boat. Then there was the "pitch and putt" course and the bowling greens. Bowling was always seen as an old mans game but someone gave me and my mates a little try and after that we played quite a bit.

There was the flagpole, the highest point for miles where I used to take my grandad's binoculars and look across to Shawfield stadium and Parkhead. I watched an episode of Taggart the other year and saw someone get shot there.

There was the green houses which were well looked after at the time. There was "hill 60" where you might endulge in a bit of "winching" with the girls.

My earliest memories are of the pony rides. There used to be an oval dirt track just inside the main Victoria Road entrance where you could ride on a pony or take a pony & trap ride. This all dissappeared in the mid 60's.

Well Paul G you brought back memories of Queens Park as it was also one of my favorites. I remember waiting for the first time the pond froze over and we would all go Ice Skating and like all the other postings roll our Easter Eggs down hill 60. I think that all Gladwegens hand painted their Easter Eggs I haven't been back in Scotland for years . You said that it had changed in the 60s what did you mean? cool.gif

+Quote Post
Meg7
post 4th Sep 2003, 07:54am
Post #28

Unpacking
Member No.: 97
Hi Paul G well you brought back memories of Queens Park it's many years since I was last there but I can see my big brother sailing his boat on the pond and panicking that he would'nt get it back but always did. Then in the winter when the pond froze over we would all go ice skating on it. And last but not least rolling our Easter Eggs down hill 60. and not forgetting a pony ride. Reading the postings I think that every household was up the night before Easter boiling the eggs in the teapot to make them brown then painting them. Happy Memories Meg

+Quote Post
Cameron
post 4th Sep 2003, 06:51pm
Post #29

Super Resident
Member No.: 27
I liked Maryhill park playing onthe putting green with my pals and betting thrupence a hole ,and playing on the pitch and putt at dawshome park ,i used to play junior fitba at dawshome park where they had a lot of pitches and when i was older taken my girlfreind when i was skint round the Botanic gardens there was lots of little quite areas wub.gif

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 5th Sep 2003, 03:20am
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7
Ruchill Park is still there Jock but I am ashamed to admit I have never been in it and I don't live all that far away. unsure.gif

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.