Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Memories Of Glasgow's Parks, How do you remember them?
GG
post 15th Aug 2003, 08:10pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Glasgow has five city parks - Bellahouston, Kelvingrove, Botanic Gardens, Pollok and Glasgow Green - and 12 district parks, including Queen's, Springburn, Victoria and Tollcross. There are also 57 local parks.
  • Do you have any fond memories of Glasgow's parks?
  • Which is your favourite?
  • Which one did/do you visit most often?

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
betty2
post 15th Aug 2003, 08:43pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 56
As a child i spent many happy hours in alexander park
it was there i rolled my easter egg ,played on the swings
fished in the pond. Many happy what seemed then to be long hot summer days. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
still here in glesca

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 15th Aug 2003, 08:45pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7
oh yes GG as a Glasgow kid I was brought up to appreciate our parks.Had grandparents that took me to Bellahouston ,man do I remember all those steps up to a statue for the 1938 empire exhibition.Went back last summer and was totally destroyed new trees had been planted that blocked the amazing view..

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 15th Aug 2003, 08:52pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7
Oh Betty you are setting off memories here.Remember my Gran telling me about painted eggs and rolling them at Bellahouston'.Got so much stuff I wanna ask them.

+Quote Post
betty2
post 15th Aug 2003, 09:10pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 56
scotslad90
nae chocolate eggs back then , hard boiled
and wur mammy's painted them , but it was fun rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

--------------------
still here in glesca

+Quote Post
big al
post 15th Aug 2003, 10:37pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 42
Always remember Maryhill park for the huge open spaces at the back of the park - they seemed to go on and on for ever - it was just a super park - I loved Dawsholm Park for the nature aspects - the birds and squirrels and the plants and trees - it was a great place for adventure - I loved the Botanic Gardens - Kibble Palace was just a different experience for someone who didn't have a garden - votes of thanks to the Glasgow people who established the concept in the city - its what makes it still a dear green place....

--------------------
That'll be the day........

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 15th Aug 2003, 11:55pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
to me Maryhill park was where you went to roll your easter eggs, your mammy jist boiled in the tea [it made them brown]
and we would watch the men and women bowling it had a nice bowling green ,the botanlic gardens ,what can you say is there such a plale in all the world we used to walk there from Kelvindale Rd doon the dale, through the monkey park, passed the old quansit huts to a wonderland and the bandstands on a Sunday were we lucky to have such a place so near to us ,I remember seeing a banana tree there that was one of my fav places and I always spoke about it to my children,I have such happy memories of it . biggrin.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Marg
post 16th Aug 2003, 12:19am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13
I have memories of Kelvingrove Park from my last visit to Glasgow in 84" it was very near where I stayed and I think this is why I remember it so well and then of my visits to the Botanic gardens which I have some lovely photos.

--------------------
God Bless this wee house!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+Quote Post
thebardau
post 16th Aug 2003, 02:19am
Post #9

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 20
The only Glasgow park I ever saw was naturally my favourite, & that was Tollcross Park. I've mentioned this park in other places on the board. The places I lived in [so many too!] didn't have gardens, although a few houses I passed on the way to school did, so Tollcross Park was an area of much beauty in my eyes. There was a glasshouse filled with flowering tuberous begonias & other exotic plants, & there was a Children's Museum with a marvellous, if somewhat tatty, tableau of "Who Killed Cock Robin - & I seem to remember, though I could be wrong about this, a stuffed & mounted large stag. When I lived in Shettleston, we used to roll our Easter eggs down the hill in Tollcross Park, this was a great treat, & the eggs had been hard-boiled with onion skins which turned the shells bright yellow. Then we'd roll down the hill ourselves & come home all dirty with skinned knees. When my Italian grandmother visited Scotland, she wanted dandelion leaves for cooking, they tasted horrid, maybe I'd think differently now, cos then I was ill-disposed towards them - I'd be sent to Tollcross Park on this errand & endure that taunts of "pee-the-bed" from other kids there who were playing kick-the-ball in the park.

The park was surrounded by massed rhododendron bushes with their large flower trusses, and there was a large "monkey-puzzle" tree which seemed so exotic to my eyes - the same trees are common beachside plantings in NSW! I wonder if the park would seem so huge to me now - it extended from Tollcross Rd to Shettleston where the steamie used to be. When we moved to Tollcross, I'd walk through the park on my way to Wellshot Rd school, always choosing different ways through it, & did the same when at Eastbank Academy, so as to admire the various flowerbeds, especially the marvellous roses. Invariably I'd be chased away by the cranky park-keeper, & to this day I wonder if those attitudes towards children were what caused park vandalism by the kids. But my own admiration of the flower plantings there remained with me, & stood me in good stead when I planted gardens of my own.

Sorry for the boring botanical dissertation, but it was the Tollcross Park plantings that stuck in my mind - I'm sure there were swings & other play areas there, but I have no memory of these!

+Quote Post
sjmac
post 16th Aug 2003, 02:56am
Post #10

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 44
I used to go to Rouken Glen to roll hard boiled eggs at easter,then when I was older used to cycle there to hire the rowing boats.In winter it was skating on the frozen lake What a fun time in that park.

--------------------
Stuart. Melbourne. Aus.

+Quote Post
Margaret P
post 16th Aug 2003, 09:31am
Post #11

City Key Holder
Member No.: 25
The best park I remember is Elderpark in Govan my grandad lived in Elderpark st cool.gif

+Quote Post
PaulG
post 16th Aug 2003, 10:18am
Post #12

Settling In
Member No.: 14
Queens Park was very close to where I lived and I have some great memories of it. It always seemed so big but I suppose when you are little, lots of things seem big.

Firstly there was the pond where you could sail your model boats or go out on a paddle boat. Then there was the "pitch and putt" course and the bowling greens. Bowling was always seen as an old mans game but someone gave me and my mates a little try and after that we played quite a bit.

There was the flagpole, the highest point for miles where I used to take my grandad's binoculars and look across to Shawfield stadium and Parkhead. I watched an episode of Taggart the other year and saw someone get shot there.

There was the green houses which were well looked after at the time. There was "hill 60" where you might endulge in a bit of "winching" with the girls.

My earliest memories are of the pony rides. There used to be an oval dirt track just inside the main Victoria Road entrance where you could ride on a pony or take a pony & trap ride. This all dissappeared in the mid 60's.

+Quote Post
Tumchie
post 16th Aug 2003, 11:48am
Post #13

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 11
When I was really wee we lived on Burghead Drive in Linthouse. So the park we used to go to was Elder Park. I don't remember too much, only that my parents would go to the Elder Park Library. I grew up close to Bellahouston Park where there used to be donkey rides. I don't recall ever rolling Easter eggs, though. Later, my mother moved to Sannox Gardens which is across the road from Alexandra Parade Park. Each time I visit her I'm so impressed with how well the gardens are maintained. There's also a pond, where we always go to feed the ducks. Over the years whenever I'd be visiting my brothers and their children would meet at my mother's and we'd all trek across the road complete with slices of bread. The park gives my mother so much pleasure as she can sit at the window and gaze onto it. Also, she likes to go for a stroll and admire the beautiful flowers, then she sits on a bench just outside the park overlooking the Parade. That way she gets to see all the people entering and leaving, and all the hustle and bustle of the Parade.

This post has been edited by Tumchie: 16th Aug 2003, 12:02pm

+Quote Post
Tumchie
post 16th Aug 2003, 12:07pm
Post #14

Super Lord Provost
Here's another photo of Alexandra Parade Park. This is of the entrance. I have another of the fountain, but I think I can only upload one photo per reply. Och. sad.gif

+Quote Post
Tumchie
post 16th Aug 2003, 12:12pm
Post #15

Super Lord Provost
Here's the fountain in Alexandra Parade Park.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.