Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Firhill Park Boxing
possilboy
post 16th Dec 2008, 02:11am
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
can anybody tell me the last boxing match at firhill my father talked about it when i was young i think the fighter came from possil it was for world champ he said fighters gloves where full of blood at the end i cant mind of name back in fifties cheers jw
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Elma
post 16th Dec 2008, 02:30am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
Was it Peter Keenan you were thinking of, John? My dad used to go to Firhill and other venues to boxing matches. He was a very mild mannered man but really enjoyed watching boxing and used to get up in the middle of the night to listen to boxing matches with Joe Louis and others from the US.
I don't know when the last match was at Firhill but I'm sure someone will be able to help.

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 22nd Dec 2008, 02:15am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
thanks elma flam and hudgey let me know through the possilpark sight it was peter keenan he was a pal of my late fathers i just couldnt remember name cheers jw

+Quote Post
*Eddie McGeough*
post 10th Dec 2012, 03:20pm
Post #4

Hi Possilboy,

My Uncle fought in the last open air fight in Scotland which was 19th June 1960 at Firhill.

I have a photo of him knocking Chima John Agwu ( Nigerean ) to the canvas and it has pride of place in our home.

Cheers

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Jun 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.