Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

87 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Partick Thistle, Anniversays next year
irrie
post 6th Nov 2012, 06:25pm
Post #166

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,735
Disappointed its not the old strip Jagz but im still going.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 6th Nov 2012, 08:34pm
Post #167

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (irrie @ 6th Nov 2012, 06:42pm) *
Disappointed its not the old strip Jagz but im still going.

Good man irrie, bring a friend too, and remember kids and armed forces personnel get in for free biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 10th Nov 2012, 07:21pm
Post #168

Mega City Key Holder
Partick Th 5 Dunfermline Ath 1. Great game, great goals, great crowd, great to see us back in Red n' Yellow, shame about the injury to Scott Fox, but as for everything else...........Great thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
irrie
post 11th Nov 2012, 05:49am
Post #169

Super City Key Holder
Agree with all you say Jagz. Hope we go 6 points clear at Hamilton on Friday night.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 11th Nov 2012, 06:44am
Post #170

Mega City Key Holder
I hope so irrie, it will be interesting to see how many fans we take through although due to work i won't be able to make it myself.

Irrie, there was more at our game yesterday (5200) than any of the SPL matches.

Mon the Jags thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
irrie
post 11th Nov 2012, 07:51am
Post #171

Super City Key Holder
If my young nephew can manage I will get a lift through but it depends on his work.

+Quote Post
A Mackinnon
post 14th Nov 2012, 01:23pm
Post #172

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,012
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 11th Nov 2012, 07:01am) *
I hope so irrie, it will be interesting to see how many fans we take through although due to work i won't be able to make it myself.

Irrie, there was more at our game yesterday (5200) than any of the SPL matches.

Mon the Jags thumbup.gif

Better be careful with comments like that Jagz, the lads from the east end are a wee bit on the sensitive side when it comes to size of the crowds tongue.gif

Anyway don't you know that the SPL is "booming" and making large profits rolleyes.gif since Rangers left according to the Dundee U. chairman!!

Glad to see the "Jags" going back to wearing the old strip, funny, when I think of them, it's always with them wearing the red & yellow. They are playing well so I hope the crowd continue to increase. "Mon the Harry Rags"

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 14th Nov 2012, 02:51pm
Post #173

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (A Mackinnon @ 14th Nov 2012, 01:40pm) *
Glad to see the "Jags" going back to wearing the old strip, funny, when I think of them, it's always with them wearing the red & yellow.

It was never a case of not wearing the Red and Yellow through choice Mac, it was a production problem with the manufacturers (Puma) that caused a delay in the new home strips being delivered.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 18th Nov 2012, 11:40pm
Post #174

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
Hello JAGZ1876

It's me, Danny Harris, coming to this topic to haunt you!

Thanks for your questions regarding my Granny and my Dad.

I don't have any record of how much she was paid for washing and ironing the Partick Thistle strips. It is safe to say she would have been paid 'washers' if you will excuse the pun, because my first wage as an engineering tradesman in 1952 was 5.00. So she would probably have been employed when Thistle first moved up to Firhill from Partick. My Dad was born in Firhill Road in 1909, so he was a lifetime Jags supporter, like his father before him.

I remember seeing one of my Dad's season tickets a few years ago, so I will have another search for it. He died in 1959 at the age of 50, so obviously this season ticket will be from the fifties.

It was actually my grandfather who took me to see my first footbal match at Firhill. It must have been about 1934 or 1935, prior to me starting school at Oakbank School in 1936. I know this because my grandfather never tired of telling people that I asked him what that man was doing in the tent. That man was Jerry Dawson, the famous Rangers goalkeeper.

He would rattle off the names of some Thistle greats, long before my time, but unless I see their names being referred to in some publications, I keep fogetting them

One or two Thistle characters my Dad and I both had the pleasure to see, were players like Peter 'Ma Baw' McKenna. If a team mate wouldn't pass the ball to him he would just go up and take it off him. I kid you not!

Another was Jimmy Mc Gowan. A wonderful servant of Thistle's at right back. He used to get a cheer all to himself if he kept the ball in the park! I went to his testimonial game in the 1950's It was a full house.

I could go on, but I better stop, and end by saying that I saw the great Liverpool manager, Willie Shankly, play as a guest for Thistle towards the end of World War II, and I was at the match which changed Andy Kerr from being a top class defender into a forward. He was playing right back for Thistle against Hearts, who had a great team in those days. Andy got injured and played on the left wing. Substitutes weren't allowed in those days. He scored two goals and the game ended 4-4. He went to Kilmarnock shortly after that and played centre forward.

I know I said I would shut up, but I must finish with this wee story. I actually played for a five a side team in the early 1960's One of my team-mates was the great Thistle international winger, Johnny McKenzie. Eat your heart out all you old Partick Thistle fans! Hey Hey!

Regards to all

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
irrie
post 19th Nov 2012, 05:42am
Post #175

Super City Key Holder
Hi DannyH I remember all the players you mention. My da and granda started taking me to Thistle games in the early 50s and i have been a fan ever since. My da went to Oakbank probably just before you. Cheers.

Hi DannyH I remember all the players you mention. My da and granda started taking me to Thistle games in the early 50s and i have been a fan ever since. My da went to Oakbank probably just before you. Cheers.

+Quote Post
irrie
post 19th Nov 2012, 05:43am
Post #176

Super City Key Holder
OOPS. must have had a senior moment there.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 20th Nov 2012, 07:17am
Post #177

Mega City Key Holder
Great post DannyH, you should try to get a photograph of your dad's season ticket book on here (Although i'm still in the dark about how to post pictures on here) and can you remember the opponents and score in Jimmy McGowan's testimonial?

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 21st Nov 2012, 12:09am
Post #178

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
Hello Again Jagz1876

This game was played in the mid-1950's, so I have forgotten some important facts.

I can't remember the score, but I am sure the guest opposing team was a Glasgow Select team, and not all necessarily players who were still playing first team football. I remember a very overweight, George Young of Rangers fame playing, and a young wing half who still played for Third Lanark, named Kelly. This guy could run for 90 minutes and still look fresh. He had the well deserved reputation of being a human dynamo. Also in that team was a Celtic player. I am sure he was Neil Mochan. What I do remember about him was that he came on to the pitch looking immaculate, played a great intellegent game, and finished the match without a hair out of place!

It was one of those games that nobody cared about the result. We were all there, including all the players, to let Jimmy McGowan know that we all loved and respected him. There are not many present day players who get the same affection from supporters and players from all the other Glasgow Clubs. It was a privilege to have been there.

Regards to All

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 21st Nov 2012, 12:36am
Post #179

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
a few old photos of the jags

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 21st Nov 2012, 12:41am
Post #180

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
another

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

87 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.