Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

10 Pages V  « < 8 9 10  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> What's For Ye, Won 't Go By Ye, Glasgow Family at War and into the 60's
Rating 2 V
Marion Niven Dou...
post 14th May 2007, 02:28pm
Post #136

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,715
Iam the one who mentioned JEALOUSY and I'll say it again. There are lots of Glaswegians who are soooo jealous when a fellow Glaswegian does something really good,
Enuff said. I admire Georgia x x x
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 14th May 2007, 03:58pm
Post #137

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
Self publishing is a burgeoning industry in North America. You can take it a step further by making the story into pages, then positioning the pages in correct sequence for printing (in pairs), setting margins, selecting fonts, type sizes, etc. All this can be done on the computer if you have "PageMaker" or "Quark Express" installed. dry.gif

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 14th May 2007, 05:27pm
Post #138

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
georgia, if what you say is true that you are big enough to take criticisms then you would leave your post alone , like some of the board members who have been criticised and i see that some of that criticism has come from you.

+Quote Post
Marion Niven Dou...
post 14th May 2007, 06:16pm
Post #139

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,715
Glasgowlass how would you feel if it were you being attacked????

+Quote Post
dunkey
post 14th May 2007, 06:45pm
Post #140

Lord Provost
Member No.: 4,736
QUOTE (Lennox @ 13th May 2007, 11:47 AM) *
is )
Dunkey you seem to know a lot about the book world, Who is Ben Elton?

Sorry Lennox never noticed your question until now. Ben Elton is a comedian and had several books published and plays staged in the West End. Personally he is not my cup of tea but he is well known.

I am only going by stuff I have sent off. The production companies will send it back saying this is not what we are looking for at the moment, yet you read every paper and the comedy on British Television is slated as completely dire.

I sent a couple of chapters and a synopsis off to many publishers and the basic answer came back, sod off we don't know you.

Some did give some helpful advice but on the whole they are looking for the fast easy money. A few letters came back saying how many manuscripts they get a year and how many new writers they take on. That's why I said it's not that easy to get published.

Talent is often overlooked, how many knocked back the beatles and how many knocked back Harry Potter and that JK Rowling one.

I would now consider self publishing as 1. You can finally get the monkey off your back and see it in hard copy and 2. It would cause a riot in here (Only kidding) 3. I think if you self publish you must have a belief you can recoup your layout. That would be my prime aim so it didn't cost me a fortune.

It's not that hard to get a letter published or an article in a magazine but it is difficult to break down the door because mostly you find it's friend of friends who get them in the door. Jounalism being notorious for it.

As for the television, nearly all the comedians all came from the same little clique from college

Only Fools and Horses was going to be binned after the first series and it took John Sullivan 10 years to get in the door. It was so bad he went to work as a stage hand with the BBC to get close to producers.

I'm certainly not having a go at anyone, both sides are entitled to their views on this but surely we should not be falling out over such a trivial matter.

+Quote Post
Avril
post 14th May 2007, 07:53pm
Post #141

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
QUOTE (glasgow lass @ 14th May 2007, 06:44 PM) *
georgia, if what you say is true that you are big enough to take criticisms then you would leave your post alone , like some of the board members who have been criticised and i see that some of that criticism has come from you.

I wasn't going to post here again but let me say this once more:

FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME, I WELCOME FEEDBACK OF MY NOVEL ON THIS POST, GOOD OR BAD, BECAUSE THIS IS MY FIRST BOOK AND I LEARN FROM IT..........HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO REPEAT IT TO SOME FOLK!!!!

Glasgowlass, I CAN take criticism, I have debated and disagreed with others points of view on the boards (isn't that what we are encouraged to do?) but I have never been rude or verbally abusive towards anyone! What is out of order is attacking and defaming a person's character!

I have been accused by two members of using this topic to sell my novel. If this was the case then why did GG admin not delete the post when it was started in the summer of 2006. If these members thought this then they should have taken it up with GG admin and not attacked me on the boards!

I requested that the topic be removed to prove to these two accusing members that my book topic was not posted for self gain but merely because I thought that fellow Glasgwegians on GGBB would share in my delight and give me their support and encouragement......let's say I was 99% right!!

I have made lots of lovely, genuine friends on the GGBB whom I will be keeping in touch with.

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
GG
post 14th May 2007, 08:12pm
Post #142

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Unfortunately I've not got time tonight to read all the posts in this topic to see what's been happening and why some people are unhappy with the topic. However, without blaming anyone - or even saying that anyone is to blame - I am going to close the topic in the meantime, as georgia has just posted and she started the topic.

I did see the topic some time ago when it began and I was/am happy to give georgia the opportunity to raise awareness of her book... I haven't read it yet, but hopefully soon.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 8 9 10
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.