Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Barnhill Poor House, Family History
cathy52
post 21st Jul 2012, 01:41pm
Post #31

Super Resident
Member No.: 11,625
my gt aunt susan kelly was in barnhill poorhouse 1922-24 after her husband left her and her son, would she have been seperated from her son during her stay there and then she asked to be transferred to kyle poorhouse in ayr. sad.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 21st Jul 2012, 01:58pm
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
It would depend on how old her son was Cathy52. If he was old enough to work, most likely he would have been separated from her. Mary

+Quote Post
cathy52
post 21st Jul 2012, 04:57pm
Post #33

Super Resident
her son would have been 2 or 3, hope she got him back. sad.gif

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 21st Jul 2012, 07:25pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
I think it would be safe to say that he probably stayed with her at that young age. Hope she didn't stay long. Mary

+Quote Post
cathy52
post 21st Jul 2012, 10:58pm
Post #35

Super Resident
going down to ayr in the next two weeks to see if i can find any information on her while she was in kyle poorhouse, as she was in and out of different poorhouses and hospital for a few years after her husband left her and her son. hope it has a happy ending for her as she was only 22yrs till about 25yrs old. sad.gif

+Quote Post
GlasgowVisitor
post 7th Jul 2013, 04:05am
Post #36

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,699
I've noticed a couple of posters referring to poor law records held when this place was Barnhill, would the Mitchell hold any similar information relating to it as Foresthall, my mum spent a short time in a homeless unit there as a little kid in the 70s. Her parents were very proud people and after they got back on their feet, their time in Foresthall was never spoken of sad.gif

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 7th Jul 2013, 09:05am
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
GlasgowVisitor, Barnhill and Foresthall are one and the same, the name changed in 1945. As far as I'm aware, the Mitchell Library hold Poor Law records up until 1923 but they might be able to tell you where to find further info. Mary

+Quote Post
Tennscot
post 10th Jul 2013, 03:08am
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,796
I just happened to notice Barnhill posts. As a boy I lived just around the corner in Wellfield St.,Went to Wellfield Elementery School. A class mate of mines lived there. I

+Quote Post
Tennscot
post 10th Jul 2013, 03:21am
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,796
I just happened to notice Barnhill posts. As a boy I lived just around the corner in Wellfield St.,Went to Wellfield Elementery School. A class mate of mines lived there. I had a very different perspective of the place. His father was Chief or head engineer and lived in a lovely big house with a garden. I think they even had a piano. I think this would be around 1942/3/4.Of course I really didn`t see the rest. I was mesmerized with the nice grounds etc. Later on while rationing was still on, this punter who worked in Barnhill used to sell my father a couple of pounds of meat(probably nicked out of the kitchens) then he`d use the money to put a bet on with my father. Win Win situation me thinks.!!

+Quote Post
*carole oconnor*
post 19th Nov 2017, 09:25pm
Post #40

HI there

Just been reading all the info on Barnhill Poor house.

I am writing a book on Scottish Suffragettes, however some of my chapters on areas of Scotland cover women's work, health and education in the 19th century leading up to women's votes.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who may have relevant info and photos.
thanks carol_oconnor@sky.com

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Feb 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.