Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

30 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Political Correctness Craziness Must Stop!, Examples of political correctness
murn
post 9th Oct 2009, 04:46am
Post #46

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,825
For ten years children have queued for his high-fives. It was only on his Birthday and Christmas that he would give them a chocolate.

As this has been happening for ten years and with what I have read, everyone in the area knows this friendly man. So I tend to think that this parent is new to the area. It does not say how old the child was but if it was me I would have ingrained it in them to just say no thank you. And then let me know so I could explain to the person about the allergy.

There was no need for the complaint, the deed was done, all that was needed was to make the lolly pop man aware of the dangers of nuts to some. I am even sure this kind old man would have went out of his way to start buying nut-free candy.

The complaint of the high fives also came from the same woman. Not only has she ruined it for the other kids she has perhaps taken away an old mans only happy moments of the day.

One mother said: "He is warm and friendly to all the children, and even remembers their birthdays and gives them cards. He also attends school concerts and so on"

"Mr Hunter has done what he does for years and the children all think he is great. It is such a shame that it takes one parent to complain to spoil the enjoyment of the children."

Sorry Stowst, perhaps the Mum was a wee bit too horrified and scared with what COULD have happened to quietly on the side say to the Lollipop guy gaunni no dae that pal!
The Woman wis freaked...her Child could have died!

Sorry Catherine, bit where did you read the woman wis freaked. From what I have read it tells you nothing of this woman I don't even think the other parents know who it is. I tend to think there is a bit more to this story than what is being told, Why on earth would she also complain about the high fives huh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cash-Ma-Giro
post 9th Oct 2009, 10:22am
Post #47

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,023
The reports I've read murn, all say the woman complained that a child, not her child was offered a nutty bar. Niether have I read anywhere that the child involved actually did have a nut allergy, we are left to assume the child had a nut allergy.

Like yourself, I think there's more to this story. It'll be interesting if the press follow this story up.

--------------------
Remember, just above those clouds,
the sun is always shining.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 9th Oct 2009, 10:25am
Post #48

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
It looks like we have another topic that has nothing to do with it's title. CMG, I am surprised that you don't know why the "gollywogs" were removed, they were used to caricature black people and then was used as as term of abuse towards them. I read the term "PC brigade" and it reminds me of references in posts on other threads like "power-that-be", "bleeding hearts" or "do-gooders" but I have said enough about that in the past. Let's look at what PC is,

political correctness - avoidance of expressions or actions that can be perceived to exclude or marginalize or insult people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against

I don't see what any of that has to do with Mr Hunter, whether his treatment was fair or not. If anyone is saying that they are not PC then are they saying it is ok to make racist comments, acceptable to use discriminating language towards people with disabilities, that older people should be denied work opportunities because of their age or that it is fine if woman get paid less than men for doing the same work?? I am (what Rabbie describes as) an ex-shiney ersed cooncil employee and I have witnessed how some people have used political incorrectness as a means of exerting power over others. I still see inappropriate references being made on the boards but I don't think for a minute that the intention is to offend but rather that the authors are uninformed.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
murn
post 9th Oct 2009, 10:50am
Post #49

Mega City Key Holder
Ashfield I think you will see if you look at CMGs post that in the case of Mr. Hunter he was referring to "Elf and Safety brigade"

QUOTE (Cash-Ma-Giro @ 7th Oct 2009, 08:39am) *
Now it's the 'Elf and Safety brigade's turn go bananas (again)

PC, HR, H&S were reasonable and fair minded organizations with good intention to begin with, but any respect they once had is diminishing by the day.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 9th Oct 2009, 02:12pm
Post #50

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (murn @ 9th Oct 2009, 12:55pm) *
Ashfield I think you will see if you look at CMGs post that in the case of Mr. Hunter he was referring to "Elf and Safety brigade"

Doh!! Thanks Murn, I can see that the Mr Hunter issue was something different, my apologies. Having said that the prison issue is nothing to do with PC and generally I think the concept is more actively positive than negative and has changed things for the better.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cash-Ma-Giro
post 9th Oct 2009, 07:19pm
Post #51

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ashfield @ 9th Oct 2009, 04:17pm) *
<cut> the prison issue is nothing to do with PC and generally I think the concept is more actively positive than negative and has changed things for the better.

Hiya ashfield,

If you go Here and scroll down to Post # 8
You'll see my reply to Catherine who also said it had nothing to do with PC.

You will see I further mentioned the following in Post 25
PC, HR, H&S were reasonable and fair minded organizations with good intention to begin with, but any respect they once had is diminishing by the day.

QUOTE (Catherine @ 9th Oct 2009, 04:32am) *
Must be Friday your side...Shalom Shabbat

Shalom Catherine biggrin.gif but if you meant Sabbat ohmy.gif lol

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 9th Oct 2009, 07:51pm
Post #52

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
My first reaction on reading this article was that it was a bit OTT.

Never gave the Nut thingy a thought but now I am better educated in this matter and I will be very carefull in future with my Grandchildrens Friends.

The High Five is a bit of a red herring.!

He appears to be just a nice guy who likes children.

I understand he was not fired but took the pet. ?

Pity.

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
Cash-Ma-Giro
post 9th Oct 2009, 07:58pm
Post #53

Mega City Key Holder
Mail Headline...Brucie blasts the PC brigade in Strictly race row.

Old hoofer Brucie (Forsyth) was at war with the BBC last night after he refused to apologise for dismissing the word P**i (see, I'm being respectful) as a nickname.

Dearie dearie me, I don't know how many times I've been called a "Baldy Jock" down in England but I just laugh back at the eejits. Funny thing is they just laugh back.
Well I am a baldy Jock. laugh.gif

What should have been uttered to me was "Smooth Craniumed Scottish Personage Adorned With The Traditional Scottish Kilt Of His Specific Clan.

If it offended me, I'd probably join the furtherance of the Politically Correct Education Society so that I could sue them. It would help pay for my return flight ticket, and a wee hawf intae the bargain.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 10th Oct 2009, 08:44am
Post #54

Mega City Key Holder
CMG, it's a pity you didin't wait for the late newspapers yesterday when Brucie was forced to apologies and acknowledge that the term used by A De B was derogatory. Well I suppose if he can learn anyone can rolleyes.gif I don't think your compariso of terms works either, as a semi-baldy jock. I wouldn't take offence either. The other word is a pernicious term of derision. Can I also say that my earlier post was not drected at you but to try and redress the balance of mainly negative posts that have benn made here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 11th Oct 2009, 04:50am
Post #55

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
..And for that I thank you Ash.....ahv been swingin in the wind an it gets awfy lonely an scary tryin tae bat the baw back an forth an stay oan the Court an in atween the lines so tae speak laugh.gif

Least ahm no masel noo in the Polls, ah'll thank the person there annaw.....talk aboot a walkin target , then again ahm a helluva Wummin daen a helluva joab in ma ain wee world...jist humour me laugh.gif

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 11th Oct 2009, 04:59am
Post #56

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Cash...Nae Witchcraft intended laugh.gif ....ah jist meant enjoy yer dinner with Peace and surrounding love biggrin.gif

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
Cash-Ma-Giro
post 12th Oct 2009, 02:00pm
Post #57

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ashfield @ 10th Oct 2009, 10:49am) *
CMG, it's a pity you didin't wait for the late newspapers yesterday when Brucie was forced to apologies and acknowledge that the term used by A De B was derogatory.

Blackmailed you mean, Ooops I can't say that. Ermm, you mean he was threatened with the sack if he didn't apologise.

QUOTE (ashfield @ 9th Oct 2009, 12:30pm) *
CMG, I am surprised that you don't know why the "gollywogs" were removed, <cut>

Didn't say that ashfield.

<cut> I don't think your compariso of terms works either,

Don't kid yourself ashfield, I didn't include the manner in which I was shouted at, neither did I include the first word used by those eejits...."you f.... baldy jock".
Some poor chaps are extremely sensitive regarding their loss of hair and for them that phrase would have been terribly offensive and derogatory to them, so the comparison does work.

The other word is a pernicious term of derision.

Pernicious! what's more offensive to some people, a subtle remark,or a full blown no mistaking remark.

<cut>
Can I also say that my earlier post was not drected at you but to try and redress the balance of mainly negative posts that have benn made here.

You know it's a true saying, "The reader of the written word is unaware of the attitude behind the writer of the written word", and the same must be said regarding this post, so dinnae worry.
btw I'm a complete baldy, chrome dome, shiny top.

QUOTE (Dylan @ 9th Oct 2009, 09:56pm) *
I understand he was not fired but took the pet. ?
Pity.

You know dylan, I haven't read or heard he took the pet or went in a huff, are you sure people just assumed he did.

QUOTE (Guest @ 4th Oct 2009, 10:24pm) *
CMG,
I neither tell racist jokes nor allow them to be told in my presence. I will gladly be described as politically correct because of that.

Most humble and sincere apologies.
When you posed the question = "Would we all be allowed to post our favourite racist jokes on this board, for example?"
I naturally assumed you included yourself in that remark, and myself come to think of it. As a matter of fact are you accusing me of being a racist and a teller of racist jokes?

QUOTE (Catherine @ 11th Oct 2009, 07:04am) *
Cash...ah jist meant enjoy yer dinner with Peace and surrounding love

laugh.gif And we did too.

Shalom an' peace tae wan an' awe.

--------------------

+Quote Post
murn
post 12th Oct 2009, 02:23pm
Post #58

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Catherine @ 11th Oct 2009, 12:55am) *
..And for that I thank you Ash.....ahv been swingin in the wind an it gets awfy lonely an scary tryin tae bat the baw back an forth an stay oan the Court an in atween the lines so tae speak

Know jist how yee feel rolleyes.gif try a baseball bat wink.gif

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 12th Oct 2009, 06:22pm
Post #59

Mega City Key Holder
Cash, thanks for the reply.

I was quite well aware that Mr F would have reversed his thinking on the "advice" of his advisors at the Beeb, nevertheless, he did and that was a recognition that the original remark was inappropriate.

In relation to the removal of "gollywogs", you used it in your example of "the namby-pamby, negative effect, PC brigade" and if you understood why it was removed then I am surprised you used it as an example. It this instance you refer to the "innocence of childhood", spot on. The problems occur when that innocence is destroyed by bigots and racists who impose their values on the children.

As for the third point, the whole context is changed with the additional word. The original remark is the sort of thing that can either be said in jest or as an insult. The new context with the expletive is not funny in any shape of form and this is, in my view, racist abuse (as it would be used in relation to any other Nationality). I understand you saying that you did not take offence but that is not the issue, it is the intention of the person uttering the remark that's important.

I used the word "pernicious" meaning "to cause great harm, destructive". You are right, sometimes it is obvious as in the shouted insult and other times it can be done in a more insidious manner, but the damage it causes is no less painful to those on the receiving end. I have recently been sent a chain email containing a story purporting to be a true account of an Iraqi women arguing with a shop assistant wearing a St Andrew's Cross lapel badge( I will not go into details but if it comes your way I suggest hitting the delete button). It did not take a Sherlock Holmes to work out that this was a piece of fiction or from where it probably originated. Some might be taken in and that's how the damage is done.

--------------------

+Quote Post
murn
post 12th Oct 2009, 10:28pm
Post #60

Mega City Key Holder
jist a wee list

Broken Home - Replaced by Dysfunctional family.

Bum - Replaced by Homeless Person.Calling a person a "Bum" implies that the person is a moocher that is too lazy to get a job. Referring to him as a "Homeless Person" removes this stigma, and implies that he would be a perfectly normal citizen if only the government would give him a house.

Crazy - Replaced by the term Mental Illness. And, since it is an illness, it may be treated in the same manner as other diseases - with drugs. Of course, this idea is nothing new ... people have been using drugs to treat depression for centuries.

Criminal - Replaced by behaviorally challenged. This is one change that makes sense. A lot of the people in prisons today are not really "criminals" in the classic sense. Thanks to the "War on Drugs", there are a lot of people in jail because they failed to "behave" properly.

Eastern (As when used when discussing Asian Culture) - Too Eurocentric. Instead, use Africa as your frame of reference. When discussing European culture you should now use the phase "Northern", and when discussing Asia use the phrase "North-Eastern". Now isn't that better?

Factory - Replaced by Plant. The word Factory is a place where mistreated laborers toil long hours to produce pollution that billows forth from gigantic smokestacks. The word Plant is preferred since it is more difficult for this term to carry a negative connotation since this term is also used to describe nature. Its counterpart noun describes plant life (Plants, as in flowers, shrubs, etc). And the Verb form, to plant, is the process of lovingly placing a seed in the ground so it may one day grow into a mighty oak. Who can complain about having a new plant in their backyard?

Failure - Replaced by Deferred Success.

Fairy - Homophobic. Replaced by Petite airborne humanoid which possesses magical powers. The term fairy should be avoided when discussing these mythical beings, regardless of how gay they may appear.

Fat - Replaced by Enlarged physical condition caused by a completely natural genetically-induced hormone imbalance. Of course, this is very difficult to say in one breath-- so people will find it easier to not say it at all. The term "fat" is simply too short and to direct. It all too clearly points out that the reason that an obese person's skin appears so swollen is because it is being buttressed by large amounts of... well... Fat.

Foreign Food - Replaced by Ethnic Cuisine. The word foreign is generally used when one wishes to refer to something that alien to ones own country -- something that is not normally found within the jurisdiction of your own particular political unit. But with the increasing power of multinational organizations (such as the U.N. and large corporations), nothing can be said to be truly 'foreign' anymore. In a world where you can find a McDonald's in Moscow, a Disneyland in Japan, or a single currency throughout Europe, the word 'Foreign' is losing its meaning.
The word 'ethnic' provides a more accurate way to refer to these cultural traits which are continually growing fainter as we move away from the world of the past, in which different areas of the world were actually unique.

Founding Fathers - Too Sexist. Instead, use the term The Founders. We wouldn't want to exclude all those great female leaders of 18th century America would we?

Garbage Man - Replaced by Sanitation Engineer – A Garbage Man picks up garbage. A Sanitation Engineer engineers it.

Ghetto - Replaced by Economically disadvantaged area. This term is used by politicians who believe money from the Government would solve their problems.

Girlfriend/Wife - Replaced by Unpaid sex worker laugh.gif

Handicapped - Replaced by Physically Challenged, or even worse, handicapable

Housewife - Replaced by Domestic Engineer. This is to remove the necessity of marriage from the task of raising children.

Illegal Aliens – Replaced by Undocumented Immigrants. The phrase ‘Illegal Aliens’ implies that these people are a bunch of law-breaking creatures from outer space, while ‘Undocumented Immigrants’ suggests that they are good old-fashioned immigrants that simply have not gone through the hassle of being ‘documented’ yet.

Janitor - Replaced by Custodial Artist. No matter what you call it, this is a person who is paid to clean up shit.

Jungle - Replaced by Rainforest. A Rainforest is a happy place where Disney characters dance and sing ... a jungle is a scary place with lions, tigers, malaria and natives that want to cut off your head and boil it for dinner... who in their right mind would want to save that!?!

Man’s Job and Woman’s Work - Replaced by Traditional Gender Role. These are basic practices that are followed in one form or another by most of the life forms on this planet, and have been part of human culture for thousands of years… and as with most other ‘traditions’, a lot of people believe that it is time for a change.

Midget - Replaced by Vertically Challenged. (me)

Natural Disaster - replaced by Unnatural Event caused by man's destruction of the environment. Every hurricane, mudslide, and flood sould be blamed on Global Warming, even though these events have been occurring for millions of years. (I'm still waiting for somebody to blame the last Ice Age on the campfires of cavemen) laugh.gif

Secretary - Replaced by Administrative Assistant – The word Secretary comes from Latin and means ‘Confidential Officer’ – And for some unknown reason this is a bad thing.

Sex Change - Replaced by gender re-assignment.

Swamp - Replaced by Wetland. Swamps are full alligators, bugs, and disease. If anybody went around saying that we need to "save the swamps", people would think they were out of their friggin' mind!

Trailer Park - Replace by Mobile Home Community.

Ugly - Replaced by Visually Challenging.

and then one of my favorites
War on Terror - overseas contingency operations.

+Quote Post

30 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.