Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Psychics, What's your thoughts on them
Alex MacPhee
post 30th Nov 2011, 11:40pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,183
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 30th Nov 2011, 10:59pm) *
Only for about $12,000

Gee whizz, I'm sorry to learn that. I guess these people are good at being plausible. Dante should have a tenth circle of hell for these wretches.

Lately I've been getting calls from people trying to persuade me I've been oversold credit protection insurance payments. Always come up as number withheld, and fishing around for information about our credit cards and loans and mortgage. I'm usually fairly polite before hanging up the phone on them. You learn to be really suspicious these days.

--------------------
Alex
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 1st Dec 2011, 01:25am
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (Alex MacPhee @ 30th Nov 2011, 10:59pm) *
Gee whizz, I'm sorry to learn that.

Not as sorry as I was. rolleyes.gif Me and a good few hundreds of others. It only came to light after 9/11 when Morrison Cross jumped the border; into Paragua if I remember correctly, to avoid investigation by the US authority.
Could have done with some psychic assistance then. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 1st Dec 2011, 01:48am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Sorry to hear a man of your caliper got stung, Tomi.. <snickers>. Remember my son. "Trust No one!"

Oh aye, regarding those cold calling chancers, I always feel slightly obliged to lead them on with the hope that they will a nice big juicy sale, with a few "can you hang on a few minutes" pauses thrown in and then dispense with the pleasantries.

Nothing pishes these numpties aff more than wasting their time. After all, time is their money. It is rather strange, yet quite fulfilling that further calls from thus treated pests are not forthcoming.

I can safely predict that as the world revolves, light follows day... Hmmm. might need to gen up again a wee bit on that one.

unsure.gif

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 1st Dec 2011, 08:38am
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 1st Dec 2011, 01:07am) *
Sorry to hear a man of your caliper got stung, Tomi.. <snickers>. Remember my son. "Trust No one!"

Aw that guid RAF trainin' gone tae waste Rabbie. wub.gif rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 1st Dec 2011, 10:16am
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
I've perhaps related this story before, but my age prevents me of remembering laugh.gif

Orsen Welles told a story on a chat show of, when he was a young actor, being a "fortune teller" at a fair, to make some money when unable to get acting work. He admitted he had no gift for seeing into the future though. He said one day a young woman came in,she was laughing and dressed in a bright floral dress and hat. He immediately said to her, "you've recently suffered a terrible loss" and she broke down crying. Her husband had died the week before and her friends had persuaded her to get dressed up and go to the fair for a break.

It was the last time he ever played the fortune teller. He equated what happened to the way, at the time, a hotel clerk could assess a customer in their short walk from door to desk and decide whether to offer a room or not. I guess when we meet people, there are always clues about what's going on with them, ..........whether we see them is a different matter.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 1st Dec 2011, 11:33am
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ashfield @ 1st Dec 2011, 10:35am) *
I guess when we meet people, there are always clues about what's going on with them, ..........whether we see them is a different matter.

I think that's true, there's lots of 'micro-signals' we pick up without being consciously aware of them. I guess too that, when someone has reached marrying age, such as the woman in the Orson Welles story, the chances are high that she's going to have some relative or acquaintance who has died anyway, because we've all had that experience and can probably all think of someone close who has gone.

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
zascot
post 1st Dec 2011, 12:14pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
Like when a politician`s lips move it`s a fair bet he`s telling a lie. cool.gif

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 1st Dec 2011, 12:44pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Ash, Orson Welles the fortune teller, reminds me of a story when I was at RAF Chessington (Joint Services Rehabilitation Centre). An anonimous benefactor sponsored a day out at the races (The Derby) for those patients fit enough to make the short trip from Chessington to Epsom; a couple of miles by bus. It was my first ever occasion at an actual racetrack and I was totally amazed by the fun-of-the-fair scene; stalls with striptease dancers, Gipsy Rose Lee fortune tellers, jugglers, trick-cyclists, etc.. One stall had a Gipsy who claimed to have X-ray eyes. He could not only see into your future but tell your age by seeing through your skin.
One of my mates, another wee Jock, who had fallen off some rigging on a naval training ship and was lucky to be alive never mind walking, went up to him and said in a voice filled with wonder, coupled with a Glesca dialect, "Hey Jimmy. Huv ye' really goat X-ray eyes?"
"That is the gift I have"
Then swinging one of his legs onto the guy's table, the wee yin says, "How's ma effin fractures daen?"
The dozens of people assembled around his stall were laughin' their heids aff as the Gipsy rained down more curses on the wee barra than he had plates, screws and stitches in his legs and elsewhere on his body. laugh.gif
(My carreer as a scrap metal collector hadn't started at that time so no comparisons please tongue.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 1st Dec 2011, 04:27pm
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 1st Dec 2011, 01:03pm) *
"How's ma effin fractures daen?"

Superb. Only a Glaswegian!

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
Tam C
post 1st Dec 2011, 06:39pm
Post #40

Super Resident
Member No.: 10,534
QUOTE (Alex MacPhee @ 1st Dec 2011, 04:46pm) *
Superb. Only a Glaswegian!

Pure class THH

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 1st Dec 2011, 11:07pm
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
laugh.gif The laffs ye huv tae brek yer legs fur. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 4th Dec 2011, 02:25am
Post #42

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Maybe of interest:
Psychics wanted for call centre

Is there anybody there? Yes, and they will answer the phone. Psychics are being recruited in Scotland to staff a phone service which offers to provide readings and attempt to put the bereaved in touch with the deceased.

Applicants will be put through a range of rigorous tests to ascertain whether they have clairvoyant abilities and a “connection with spirit” – an ability to communicate with the departed – before being offered a job. More than 150 candidates have already been turned down for not being able to prove their psychic skills.

The man behind the job offer said he is trying to offer a genuine psychic service. “I was sick of people with no psychic ability doing so-called readings,” said William O’Connor, who has worked as a medium in Glasgow for 31 years. “I wanted to set up a phone line where you would speak to a genuine clairvoyant or medium and have a genuine reading.” ...

Full story here:
http://www.scotsman.com/scotland-on-sunday...entre_1_1990915

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 4th Dec 2011, 10:46am
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
7.44 an hour full time? Is there a nightshift rate?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 3rd May 2012, 08:08am
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 26th Nov 2011, 08:15am) *
The third question was does anybody here have a brother that commited suicide by hanging himself, this got me puzzled as my brother did commit suicide but not by hanging, he poured petrol over himself and lit the match,

Just a follow up to this post, after my brother died we lost touch with his ex wife and daughter, it turned out that his ex wife would not tell her daughter anything about her father or his family and when the mother died at the age of 43 her daughters step father destroyed all photographs and documents that would have enabled my niece to find us, however my nieces maternal grandmother was good enough to tell her to search for the Grieve family which she did on Facebook contacting any Grieves she could find and asking if there was any chance of being related, luckily she found my sister living in Newcastle England and with my sister arriving yesterday for a months holiday my niece who it turned out lives in another part of Joburg will be joining us for a BRAAI/BBQ on Sunday. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 3rd May 2012, 09:19am
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 3rd May 2012, 09:13am) *
my nieces maternal grandmother was good enough to tell her to search for the Grieve family which she did on Facebook contacting any Grieves she could find and asking if there was any chance of being related, luckily she found my sister

Bravo to the grandmother, and to your niece for perseverance and determination. And a kick in the clackers to the stepfather for destroying family records.

I've spent the last few years engaged in family research, and that's one way of coming to an appreciation of the value of even the slightest document or piece of evidence. After my father died, my mother threw away piles of old photographs, not out of any wish to prevent anyone seeing them, simply because it was part of her grieving process, but the effect has been similar. I remember he had many old photos from his time in the Merchant Navy during the war, when he sailed on, and was torpedoed in, the notorious Convoy PQ17. Pictures, navy pass book, memorabilia, all gone. Today's photographs are future history, and even the most seemingly insignificant and ordinary can have a great significant and value in thirty or forty years' time.

Bet you've a lot of catching up to do on Sunday, and I hope you let us know how it goes.

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Feb 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.