Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Central Station, Whats your memory?
stuarty
post 29th Sep 2008, 11:24pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
a love central station a went there to go to the WRAF and felt all alone but i was aww excited about all my new adventures and oh what adventures a had some good some very good and some very very very grrrrroooood whoooow happy days on basic training a loved every min of it , first train to glasgow central a was on it many's a time woosh a was on a pass and ran like a grayhound oot the traps runnin to catch the train and a made it every time by hook or by crook na got on that train central station still holds great memories for many years to come a hope please my god one day at a time

--------------------
gie me a wee minite
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 30th Sep 2008, 02:01am
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
The last time I was back,I made a point of going there and sat upstairs in that bar/restuarant for hours,just to people watch.

+Quote Post
Elma
post 30th Sep 2008, 03:25am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
Me too Wellfield, except I sat on the seats in front of the destination boards and watched the people wait for their train to be called and when it was they went whoosh (as stuarty says) to their platform.

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 23rd Sep 2010, 05:58am
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
Central and other stations are featured in this transport film from 1980.

Glasgow Transport 1980

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 5th May 2013, 07:57pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,685
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdtv39_ne...ic#.UYa6b7WThx4

This is the Great singer Neil young busking outside central station in 1976 i think.
Amazing piece of film. wink.gif

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 5th May 2013, 08:18pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
QUOTE (Purplefan @ 5th May 2013, 08:14pm) *
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdtv39_ne...ic#.UYa6b7WThx4

This is the Great singer Neil young busking outside central station in 1976 i think.
Amazing piece of film. wink.gif

I'm sure this should have been a famous event, but it's the first I've heard of it. Thanks for sharing.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 5th May 2013, 09:40pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Great stuff! Shame about the caption "outside a subway station".

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 6th May 2013, 10:42am
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,685
It's amazing ta think the great Neil young is playing the bango and moothy
and there's a bloke reading his paper. biggrin.gif

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 6th May 2013, 11:03am
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
First Neil Young album I got was After the Goldrush from 1970 and by the time he put in his appearance at the station he was a mega star but I dont think his reknown had reached Scotland.
All these years later Neil is still mega.
****Try Goldrush if you enjoy great music*****

+Quote Post
angel
post 6th May 2013, 03:05pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675

that was a great video David , I enjoyed .

My happiest memory of the Central Station
was waiting for my " soon - to -be husband "
getting off the train , coming back home from England. biggrin.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
southsider
post 7th May 2013, 01:04am
Post #41

Special Visitor
Member No.: 1,754
With regards to Central Station, it was with interest that I discovered recently while researching my ancestors, that they were married in 1866 in St Columba's gaelic church, which was in Hope St. It was demolished and is now underneath Central station. Apparently the railway purchased the land to build the station, and paid the church a very handsome sum, enabling them to build the present day St Columba's, in St Vincent st. The church was part of the village of Grahamston, comprised mostly of highland folk. I'm sure some of you Glasgow historians already knew this, I found it fascinating.

+Quote Post
*Guvin Boay*
post 8th May 2013, 12:45am
Post #42

I will always remember Central station as being a pivotal point in my life as a Glaswegian. When I left Glasgow I often came by train from Johnstone ( train stopping Irvine, Girvan, Troon and Ayr, and certain intermediate stations; that was when Britain had more miles of track than any other country in the world. There was the S.M.T. bus station across the road from the G.C.hotel, cant remember the name of the street, but that's where we got the buses to go doon the coast.
The highlight of my existence was when we left for Ardrossan from Central to get the Manx steamer to the I.O.M. I am shure many of yoose yins stood in yon endless queue of Glesga fowlk carrying their heavy suit cases and sandwiches that wound up frae the street platform 12?.
I had never seen the station properly until about 1985 when I returned and the station had, for the first time in about a hundred years been cleaned. The glass canopy is a world renowned example of the Victorian architecture in glass and cast iron and I was astounded to see it for the first time. I still sometimes have dreams about trying and failing to get a ticket at the station. Under the "Bridge" at one of the entrances there was a fancy tobacconist that for some reason always sticks in my mind.

+Quote Post
farrochie
post 9th May 2013, 09:01pm
Post #43

Super Resident
Member No.: 13,201
I went through Central Stn on a school trip to Stratford-upon-Avon on a special train for schools around 1965. We left on the sleeper train around 10pm.

The station was hoachin wi lassies because the Beatstalkers were also travelling somewhere that night.

Great video of Neil Young, btw.

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 9th May 2013, 09:14pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
My earliest memory, was taking my first ever train journey from there to London at the age of 4/5 on what I've always called a 'biddlyduff' (the sound the chuffer trains used to make over the old rails).

It was the equivalent of taking a trip to another world.

The station was chock FULL of people - with porters and everything going on. A real adventure.

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.