Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Glasgow Trams, ...do you remember these?
George Muir
post 20th Dec 2003, 07:28am
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
rolleyes.gif David, this is a district that is near and dear tae my heart, Eglinton Toll with Victoria Rd. on the left and Pollokshaws Rd. on the right, looking towards Queen's Park. I remember as a kid watching this transformation taking place. McNees Pub on the left, with the Plaza dance hall nearby and further up Butterbiggins Rd. with Larkfield Garage and the New Cinerama at the corner. All you southsiders will recognize this scene. Those were the days
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
david lowson
post 20th Dec 2003, 08:06am
Post #32

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 470
Goodness me george how things have changed,1946 was my birh and I drove the 43 bus from Ruchill to Cathcart on that route.
when jean (sjmac) was here I told them a wee story aboot that route, it wis a rangers v celtic Scottish cup final (say no more).
Did the trams run out of Larkfield?

+Quote Post
Luceo
post 20th Dec 2003, 08:19am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 18
That is a fascinating picture of Eglinton Toll, George. I passed the Toll only a few days ago and I was dismayed to find that the building which formerly housed McNee's pub is gone. While the pub has been gone for some time the building had survived and I think it had various other uses. I am pretty sure that the Plaza is still there but I don't know if it is used as a dance hall these days. I would doubt it, somehow.

I cannot say for sure but I think that it was only buses which ran out of Larkfield, the trams running out of Coplaw Street Depot which is only a short distance away. The tram depot housed the Transport Museum for a long time and more recently has been home to the Tramway Theatre.

Regards,

Luceo

--------------------
Never give a sword to a man who cannot dance - African Proverb

+Quote Post
ewanmac
post 20th Dec 2003, 08:33am
Post #34

Visitor
Member No.: 94
The trams never run out of Larkfied, but they did run from Langside Depot

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 20th Dec 2003, 12:02pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7
Anyone any idea what was a normal school in Maryhill????

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
david lowson
post 20th Dec 2003, 12:22pm
Post #36

Super City Key Holder
Yes Iain the normal school was Dundas Vale at the Cowcaddens. If I recall right going down new city road , before you get to the junction of Garscube road the school was on the left hand side.
past the old Cambridge picture hall and Dales cycles, there was also a large garage there, I think it was called SMT then the normal school.

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 20th Dec 2003, 12:29pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
What did they mean by normal David? Don't remember the Cambridge or any of the other places you mentioned but there is still a little school on the left hand side on Garscube Rd but I think it might be modern -maybe 80's or something not too sure.

+Quote Post
Luceo
post 20th Dec 2003, 12:32pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
As a child I supposed that the "Normal School" I saw on the destination boards on the trams meant that the school was "normal" as opposed to "special" and it puzzled me for a long time. After all, weren't most schools "normal"?.

I looked the term up a few years ago and if memory serves me a "normal school" is an institution for the training of primary teachers. I think the term is derived from the French where "norme" means a standard (or norm?).

The destination referred to in the photograph was the Normal School which I believe was in New City Road. I am not at all sure about that so perhaps someone from that area can confirm it.

Regards,

Luceo

--------------------

+Quote Post
david lowson
post 20th Dec 2003, 12:37pm
Post #39

Super City Key Holder
Dont Know Iain but it was also a nursery school. The normal school was on New City Road. Long gone now I think it is an overpass now. Surprised you have never heard of the Cambridge picture hall.

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 20th Dec 2003, 12:40pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Luceo I am rather confused about this.Was this particular tram like a school bus because where on the Garscube Rd could the tram be turned around if that was simply its destination-did they have a drivers cabin at both ends??

+Quote Post
david lowson
post 20th Dec 2003, 12:43pm
Post #41

Super City Key Holder
Luceo Normal school was a primary school (Dundas Vale) I went to secondary school with a few of my friends who attened that school.
My school was St. Georges Road.

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 20th Dec 2003, 12:45pm
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Have heard people talk about the Cambridge David but I have no idea where it was?

+Quote Post
david lowson
post 20th Dec 2003, 12:54pm
Post #43

Super City Key Holder
yes before the road split one to cambridge street the other to new city road. They changed about 100 metres from the junction o the gas pipe. the rails had a x cross go foreward then change the points or whatever they called them.
Anniesland cross had the same system.

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 20th Dec 2003, 06:51pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
Luceo, you're right on. According to "The Second City", Sabbath or Sunday Schools were introduced to Glasgow by Dr. Thomas Chalmers, minister of the Tron Church and later Professor at St. Andrews University. They were for formal rather than religious education. In the late 1700s and early 1800s, with the growing population, and not enough schools or teachers, David Stow, a city merchant, in collaboration with Chalmers, came up with the idea of a school for the training of new teachers, resulting in the formation in Cowcaddens of the Normal School for the Training of Teachers in 1836.

+Quote Post
Luceo
post 20th Dec 2003, 06:57pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Thanks, George, that is a clearer description than the one I was able to come up with.

Trams did have a driver's cab at both ends and the backs of the passenger seats could be flipped over so that passengers were always facing forward.

Regards,

Luceo

--------------------

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.