Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blue Trains
bilbo.s
post 5th May 2013, 09:11am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Farrochie,

I used to go to school on the steam train , to Charing Cross- first from Carntyne and then from Mount Vernon. Later on I used the Blue Train from Airdrie to Queen Street, whwn I worked at the central Hotel in the 60s. I remember the signalman at Carntyne letting us change the signals with the big levers.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
farrochie
post 5th May 2013, 09:24am
Post #17

Super Resident
Member No.: 13,201
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 5th May 2013, 09:28am) *
Farrochie,

I used to go to school on the steam train , to Charing Cross- first from Carntyne and then from Mount Vernon. Later on I used the Blue Train from Airdrie to Queen Street, whwn I worked at the central Hotel in the 60s. I remember the signalman at Carntyne letting us change the signals with the big levers.

bilbo.s

For a while I took the steam train in Coatbridge from Langloan to Central Station, for 1d in old money. The bus fare was 1 1/2d (that's a penny ha'penny) at the time and was a shorter walk to school, but 1/2d was worth saving.

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 5th May 2013, 11:48am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,685
QUOTE (farrochie @ 5th May 2013, 09:20am) *
Purplefan.
See the guys working on the electrification, nae hard hats as they duck under the supports; nae gloves for pulling the wire along!

I used to travel Coatbridge - Queen Street regularly, but I still remember the steam engines on that line.

They were proper hard men, back then. Nae health and safety: they were doing it standing on top of a moving train. Amazing old film.

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 5th May 2013, 03:50pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
Great film Purplefan thumbup.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.