Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Family History
RonD
post 16th May 2008, 02:58pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
I was looking at Kathleen B. Cory's book Tracing Your Scottish Ancestry and while thumbing through it I came ipon a list of antiquated terms that apply to wills and land hold ters. Once was "umqhuile" it means late or deceased so possibly that's why the "U" was placed in the certificate even if it seems redunded. The clerk may have been someon of the old school that felt a need for Latin terms on the certs.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chookie
post 16th May 2008, 03:17pm
Post #17

City Key Holder
Member No.: 318
Thanks Ron and woudln't you know, I have that very book. Ma pal aye tells me if all else fails read the directions....duh! That explanation fits better than my stab at "U for Ulster"...So here's me still daein' the Genealogy Two Step....wan step furrit two steps back!

--------------------
Ahcumfiglesga

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 16th May 2008, 08:49pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Hi Isobel, was Holy Cross Church Dixon Avenue,your Parish in Glasgow or your present Hometown in ONTARIO.?

Stratson sorry I never did answer your question. Its here in Georgetown my parish is named
Holy Cross.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
RonD
post 17th May 2008, 12:49pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
You know ye're gettin' auld when common words don't right but ye don't know why. Ah meant tae say "redundant" never mind the rest o' the typos!! tongue.gif

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
*Joyce Devlin*
post 11th Feb 2009, 10:43am
Post #20

HI,

My Devlin line arrived in Scotland in the 1850's there were two brothers John Arthur and Patrick. Father John Devlin and Mary Usher.
I have traced the name Devlin back to Co Tyrone in Nr Ireland and if you got to http://www.devlin-family.com/devlinnamehistory.htm there is five pages of info which might interest you. there is also a good web sight called tribalpages.com where you can join for free and create your own family history page. hope this helps. most of the Devlins in Glasgow are descendants of these two brothers. you never know we may be related.

+Quote Post
Treeza
post 10th Mar 2009, 09:09pm
Post #21

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,649
JOHN DEVLIN

I know it's been a while since your post, but I just googled Devlin and found you! This is too much of a coincidence.......... My grandmothers maiden name was Mary O'Brien Devlin b. 1912. Her parents were William John Devlin (he went by John) b 1873 and Jamima Nelson b 1897. WJ Devlins father was also a William John Devlin, married to a Jessie Douglas. It's just stricks me odd that there is the O'Brien thrown in there. Who was she named after? Was it your Mary O'Brien?

+Quote Post
*stacey..*
post 15th Jul 2014, 07:59pm
Post #22

Hi. My name is Stacey. I have not read all the comments on here. However I just noticed all the talk about the name Devlin. I am currently on behalf of my mum trying to find her biological father John Devlin of spring burn Glasgow. If anyone could help I would appreciate it a lot. thanks x

+Quote Post
*john devlin*
post 19th Aug 2017, 08:30pm
Post #23

Hi All

Thanks for all your notes .Not been on site for a long time.

Yes my father grew up in Carfin and his Father Hugh Devlin was one of the families that built the grotto. Most of Carfins residents in the early 1900's were Irish coal mining communities and many related. Still pursuing the family history.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.