Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

18 Pages V  « < 16 17 18  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Do You - Did You - Have A Pet?, Tell us about the wee character here
Rating 5 V
TeeHeeHee
post 15th Oct 2019, 04:16pm
Post #256

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
This givees a gook explanation of the treatment and risks involved in handling Heartworms in dogs ...

https://richmondspca.typepad.com/richmond-s...with-risks.html

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 19th Oct 2019, 10:16am
Post #257

Mega City Key Holder
I've been given to understand that the video I posted of Dylan, my dog, could not be viewed so I've adjusted the Youtube privacy settings: here it is ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qesBkApfP4

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 5th Nov 2019, 11:09am
Post #258

Mega City Key Holder
Two weeks ago we took Dylan on a 30 mile trip to an animal clinic to undergo an ultrasonic scan on his heart. Mary's car was in dry dock getting its MOT so we had to ask Jasmin for her car. She came with us but gave the wheel to Mary because she gets nervous on the autobahs out here where need for speed is catered for tongue.gif
We had trouble getting Dylan into her car via the front passenger seat so I had to wheech him onto the back seat where I joined him.
What is it about visits to the vet which has immediate effect on an animal's mannerism?
When we got him onto the table, which meant me lifting him up with his new weight of 21.95 kg (definite proof that he suffers no loss of appetite which is one of the symptoms of advanced infection) the vet asked if she should put a muzzle on him. I didn't think that might be neccessary, going by his body languag, but she asked me to stand at his head anyway; in favour of her assistant, and to keep him still and after shaving him in a few places she began the scan and with me being at his head I was in a good position to see clearly what was taking place on the monitor from close up.
I was staring into a regular beating heart with no sign of adult heartworms and I'm sure the tension could have been physically measured on a seismograph as it fell from me to the floor, my worse fears being allayed. This meant that the heartworms were still in the stage between infancy and juvenile since they were still not big enough to be seen wriggling around in his heart: what we saw happening on the screen for the next ten minutes was as clear as a bell.
With great relief we thanked the doctor, paid up a mere 120 pounds or there about, and left.
Back at the car, Jasmin had hardly had the door open by about six inches when Dylan was pushing her out of the way to spring up over the front passenger seat and onto the rear seat before she could move the passenger seat forward for us. laugh.gif
The discussion then began a few days later after, our vet got the results, about which treatment we should use. I was still in favour of using Immitticide but Mary and the vet vetoed that as they both felt the risks involved coupled with the extreme discomfort and restrictions of excercise for the dog over the period of treatment were too great. I researched Advocate, the treatment in favour, and called the doctor who had conducted the scan and who had also been involved in the successful treatment of a couple of dogs with this disease before. She was in favour of the softer treatment using Advocate (from Bayer) since the heartworms were still either in the microworm stage or in infancy.

I'm still reeluctant but, almost condescendingly, gave in to Mary and our vet's better judgement ( Jings: women, what chance do we have? unsure.gif )

So last week Dylan was started on a ten month course of tratment involving a monthly dose of the Avocate medication which is administered subcutaneously by us at home and; for this first month, a treatment consisting of a daily anti bacterial tablet to combat Wolbachea, the bacteria which showed up in the blood test that signifieed the presence of feemale heartworms: only the female carries this bacteria which in effect is the parasite's parasite and must be illiminated to insure that the Advocate has an open field to do its work.
The eye-opener from all this is that the disease is now in this part of western Europe had not been brought with Dylan when he came to us from Rumania, as some people thought might have been the case.
Being in the early stages I can now almost pinpoint when he was most likely to haveebeen got at by the mosquito which infected him through knowing wheree we were at a particular time.
But something which is beginning to make me slightly paranoid is that the method of transmition is not restricted to mosquitoes which is something i have only recently learned in my reasearch of Advocate which mentioned thee treeatment for "Freench Heeartworms". These heartworms aree transmitted to the dog when it eats a snail or slug: I'm supposing `French' because the French have a reputation for eating snails.
The cycle is similar to that of thee mosquito but with a notable difference ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angiostrongylus_vasorum
... with the result that every time I see Dylan stick his nose into a pile of leaves when out walking now i'm giving it "Dylan NEIN" ( a multi-lingual rescue dog laugh.gif ) and calling him back in case he fancies a snail snack.

Anyway, we'll have another happy Christmas this year now that we know Dylan is on the mend.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
taurus
post 5th Nov 2019, 07:41pm
Post #259

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
OMG ! I am in love !!!! that is one beautiful dog rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 6th Nov 2019, 08:30am
Post #260

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
That's a bit of good news Tomi, hopefully the meds will do the business for Dylan thumbup.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
carmella
post 6th Nov 2019, 08:45am
Post #261

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
The way dogs are treated in Romania is cruel and so awful, and I find it unbearable to watch programmes now about this, all because they don’t have spaying or castration, It is so sad. They just don’t seem to understand. I am a big dog lover, I have 3 and love them dearly. A friend also has two from Romania.

This wee Dylan now has a happy life with people who genuinely love him. Your video showed how sad he was till you came along. He will be fine. Such a beautiful dog.

Bless you Tom👍

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 6th Nov 2019, 09:12am
Post #262

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (taurus @ 5th Nov 2019, 08:41pm) *
OMG ! I am in love !!!! that is one beautiful dog rolleyes.gif

Agreed ... and Dylan's not bad lookin' either laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 6th Nov 2019, 09:33am
Post #263

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ashfield @ 6th Nov 2019, 09:30am) *
That's a bit of good news Tomi, thumbup.gif

Thanks, Ash. I spoke last night with a fb friend who runs a shelter in Duisburg and had `rescue' dog of her own which also had heartworms in the microfilaria (L3) stage and was successfully handled with the treatment that Dylan is now on ... but the treatment went on for 2 years in decreasing stages ...
Hello back, yes my Melli took a total of almost 2 years, the drug for 3 months every week, then once a month for 3 months, then 3 times once every 3 months on the drug. Then everything was gone. It helps, you just need patience. LG Marion

The main thing is that we know that it does the trick.

... hopefully the meds will do the business for Dylan

For my Dylan, yes ... But Prof. Dr. Dr. Tee von HeeHee doresn't think they did the business fpor the other biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 6th Nov 2019, 10:00am
Post #264

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (carmella @ 6th Nov 2019, 09:45am) *
The way dogs are treated in Romania is cruel and so awful,...

Hi Carmella, The part in the video where Dylan id behind bars was when he'd travelled 250km to be with Mirella Mia's shelter (the woman seen cuddling him before he came to us. That was her `Quarantine' for what it was worth. She cared, privately, for almost 40 dogs somr of which were in bad health when she rescued them. In their case `reescue' meant saved from being put down.
She now has many sponsers who help with small donations and one in particular, with whom I'm also a fb friend, drives lorry loads of food and equipment to her from Germany and takees caree of many vet feees for cadtration and medications. He is well off of course but well meeaning too.
Mireella now has been able to buy a neighbouring field wheree work is almost compleeteed in the building of a `hangar' type house for the dogs in her caree with elrctricuty and running water, The field now has a high fence around it and the dogs have a place to run around in the grass.
On average she passes about 10 dogs a month,: and afew cats, to adopters which means she has place for at least 10 more. Her man works in Italy and comes home every threee months with hard earned moneey to support here shelter, so theree are those who do their best
Theree is a shelteer in Rumania which is reeckoned to be thee world's biggeest but don't ask me how that runs with between 5 & 6 thousand animals but you can Google it.
Castration programmes are being financed with donations from many shelters in Europe but it's along haul;
I've seen videos of Mirella Mia's friends and helpers facing up to the council's dog-catchers who seem to have an enjoyment in only doing their job in their brutal handling of the animals beeing taken away for euthanasia.

Different strokes for differeent folks, I guess.

--------------------

+Quote Post
carmella
post 10th Nov 2019, 06:13pm
Post #265

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
There are some wonderful people in the world. Some of the stories I have heard are heartbreaking, and I cannot for the life of me watch docus about this, otherwise I would never sleep.

This lady and those who help deserve a medal for their kindness.

It is wonderful to see how happy the dogs are when with loving people.

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 16 17 18
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th Nov 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.