Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ripped-off Glasgow: Hogmanay Punters, Forced to pay 3 for drinks in plastic cups
enrique
post 18th Dec 2009, 12:01pm
Post #61

Lord Provost
Member No.: 1,842
once again i think the auld way of doing things is coming up trumps , in my day you wid never think of paying to bring the bells in , Billy Connelly has quite a few sketches drawn from real life and if you remember the one where he says in Glasgow on a Saturay night all you had to do for a party was buy a carry oot and walk doon the street listening for a party welling from the windaes, well it was even more so at Hogmany, guys would save up to buy there bottle and then brag about who had the best , wis it the vat 69, bells , Crawfords 5 star , or maybe an export whisky like Chivas Regal, and the bloke that wrote about meeting people in the street and ending up somewhere completely different than the place you should be, is exactly right
great days
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 18th Dec 2009, 01:27pm
Post #62

Fifty years ago as a teenager I also saw the New Year in with my family but that was at the Tollbooth. My recollection is that there weren't many people around in George Square as we travelled back to the West End.

+Quote Post
**Lesley**
post 19th Dec 2009, 11:29am
Post #63

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH just found out tonight we are not permitted to take our own booze…SHOCKING!!! I have been going for 4 years now but this year if that rule stays I shall be demanding a refund of my ticket. How can 3 or 4 bars cater for so many? I don’t want to spend my night in queues,rather spend it at my local. I wasn’t over excited at the line up,but I had already got my ticket and was still planning a great night with friends. sad.gif

+Quote Post
frame
post 22nd Dec 2009, 09:12pm
Post #64

Super Visitor
Member No.: 2,486
I remember distinctly the years 1957 to 1960 and in all three I was present when we celebrated hogmanay at the christmas tree in George Square. As I said in my last post, nothing on the scale of today's celebrations but nevertheless there was a fine turnout.
If that went unobserved by people on their way to wherever, then I'm not sure how that could be.
George Square didn't spontaneously start sprouting people in large numbers to celebrate Hogmanay.
My guess is it started small and built up over many years. People caught on that it was the perfect place in Glasgow to celebrate the coming of a new year.
Also an excellent venue for rallies and demonsrations and of course, the supreme place to honour our dead soldiers.

--------------------
speed bonny boat

+Quote Post
*Julia*
post 23rd Dec 2009, 05:32pm
Post #65

You CAN get a refund after all, i complained via email and told them how angry and disappointed I was. Took them a few days to reply and they didn’t really offer any adequate response directly to the cmplaints but did say I could get a refund. Here’s part of the email so they cant give to one and not to everyone…

I do hope that you do decide to attend Glasgow’s Hogmanay, however should you decide against this, please contact Mark McArthur, mark.mcarthur@csglasgow.org who will make arrangements to offer you a refund.

Yours sincerely

Dr Bridget McConnell
Chief Executive

If phoning or visiting please ask for Gavin Lightwood
Direct phone 0141 302 2846

Get your money back people, stand up to them!

+Quote Post
GG
post 27th Dec 2009, 07:41am
Post #66

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
The decision appears to have affected Glasgow's Hogmanay rankings in people's favourite destination to see in the bells. From a survey of revellers' fav New Year's Eve locations reported in the News of the World today:

And what of Scotland's biggest city? Glasgow didn't make the Top 10... instead it limps in at No20.

Considering our nation's the home of Hogmanay, it's not what officials might have hoped for.

Fingers crossed that 2010 will see it rise in the rankings...

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 27th Dec 2009, 07:56am
Post #67

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
Whats happened to Hogmany?I swear that once upon a time you could land in Scotland from another planet and know there was something going on , there was a magic feel in the air , a hidden excitement , a totally wonerful experience.
In these days where things have changed so dramatically, think yerselves so lucky to have experienced a traditional , old fashioned Hogmany to have experienced the magic, the fun , the moment .
For i truly belive it has gone sad.gif

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post
GG
post 5th Jan 2010, 10:31pm
Post #68

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
There was a great article in The Scotsman yesterday in which Lesley Riddoch lamented the demise of Hogmanay events in Scotland: changing from events driven by spontaneous neighbourliness and community spirit to regimented, packaged and commodified opportunities for exploitation of people's inability to entertain themselves. Unfortunately I can't provide a link as it is 'Premium Content' at The Scotsman, but if you want to pay for it you can go here and subscribe:

How our packaged Hogmanay has lost its old Scottish soul
http://news.scotsman.com/edinburgh/-How-ou...anay.5952703.jp

A related full article – in which David Hayes forewarned of the emerging problems – can be found on the openDemocracy site:

In Search of Hogmanay
http://www.opendemocracy.net/people-debate...article_317.jsp

An extract from the latter article:

There is a national dimension too. While rootless revellers and the agencies which need them might feed off and recycle the seductive resource-pool of Scottish ‘uniqueness’, the intricate layers of an emerging Scotland impel work of imagination towards an altogether different, consciously comparative and modern, form of self-understanding.

There is no way back to the affective communities of old. That kind of intimacy and security, as well as oppressiveness, is gone forever. But the Edinburgh template, with its sundering of generational bonds and confiscation of public space, is no answer. So, where to turn? If the newly-commodified Hogmanay is still, after all, only the latest version, not the sinister corruption of something pure and timeless – what is it really?

Ms Riddoch concluded her article with the following observation, one which begs the question why is George Square effectively closed off to the general public at the very time when we should be opening our public venues up, and welcoming a range of ages and groups into public places:

Last time the decade turned we were worried in vain about technical Armageddon. This turning decade presents us with a more potent problem. Social meltdown. A collapse in our inability to experience ourselves and connect authentically with one another ... and then the world.

If Scots truly cannot entertain themselves any more, the organised Hogmanay must change. Why not open our public world at Hogmanay insted of closing it? Schools, leisure centrs, swimming pools, galleries and museums could open with special events all night. ...

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 6th Jan 2010, 01:08am
Post #69

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Why not just grab a bottle, piece of cake, coal or salt and go furst fittin' ?

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 6th Jan 2010, 08:36am
Post #70

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
I was replying to an email from a close friend who has been living down south for quite a number of years when it hit me just how much Hogmanay has changed. The organised event has largely taken over from family parties or spontanious gatherings around Glasgow. My neighbours are all nice people but they would not be happy with uninvited guests appearing at their door and, being honest, so would we.

When I was younger, buying a "bottle" was a big deal and partying rare. Today, it is entirely different, and Hogmanay follows a period of Christmas celebrations like we never experienced 30/40 or 50 years ago. Hogmanay does not seem to hold the same significance, It's just not a big deal any longer. People will talk it up but, in reality, most will stay up for the bells then go to bed. The organised events seem to be directed at tourists and more about money making than keeping a tradition alive. In my view, Hogmanay and the traditions of first footing died a long time ago.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
Harrymc
post 6th Jan 2010, 01:28pm
Post #71

Special Visitor
Member No.: 5,658
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 6th Jan 2010, 01:06am) *
Why not just grab a bottle, piece of cake, coal or salt and go furst fittin' ?

Great idea but ah've jist had a horrible thought; in this politically correct world ah'd probably end up wi' an asbo if ah knocked on somebody's door at that hour cerryin'a bottle an' a lump o' coal!!

+Quote Post
Heather
post 6th Jan 2010, 04:38pm
Post #72

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
How true. laugh.gif

When I was old enough to go first footing with the family, I was always the one in a house first as I was the dark haired one of the family. Lump of coal in one hand and dad's bottle of whisky in the other. laugh.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 12th Jan 2010, 07:11pm
Post #73

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
So, now that it's all over, did any one from the boards go see (Martin?) or were you all too busy celebrating in traditional style?

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
*angelwing*
post 28th Jan 2010, 03:23am
Post #74

I was there but I got my own drink in a wisna payin fur drink but hid ta cough up 1.50 fur a can a coke, sorry a canny tell you how a got it in, am female and it was easy biggrin.gif I enjoyed myself and got the free bus hame.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.