Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

16 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow: Worst Schools In Britain?, City bottom of UK qualifications league
wee davy
post 22nd Sep 2011, 02:31pm
Post #166

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
Thank you, THEE.

One of only two original copies of Marcus Aurelius's 'Meditations' is held by the Vatican! (somewhat ironically, Bill Clinton's favourite book, apparently)

How's about THAT then lol

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 22nd Sep 2011, 02:38pm
Post #167

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,183
QUOTE (Dylan @ 22nd Sep 2011, 04:12pm) *
You did not say it was your opinion , you said Secularism was to blame.

This is a peculiar pedantry. What else is offered on board like this except opinion? Should every statement of yours not preceded with 'in my opinion' be assumed to be an established fact?

When you write, unqualified,
You have none, it is simply you looking for someone to blame.!

are you stating an established and proven fact, or merely expressing your own opinion of what you think goes on inside someone else's head?

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 22nd Sep 2011, 03:40pm
Post #168

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
QUOTE (Alex MacPhee @ 22nd Sep 2011, 03:24pm) *
This is a peculiar pedantry. What else is offered on board like this except opinion? Should every statement of yours not preceded with 'in my opinion' be assumed to be an established fact?

You are fat-stating a fact.

I think you are fat--stating an opinion.

Nothing pedantary, peculiar or otherwise.

When you write, unqualified,

are you stating an established and proven fact, or merely expressing your own opinion of what you think goes on inside someone else's head?

YES.

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 22nd Sep 2011, 03:50pm
Post #169

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Dylan @ 22nd Sep 2011, 05:26pm) *
You are fat-stating a fact.

I think you are fat--stating an opinion.

On this board, since you do not know me, you have no way of stating as a fact that I am fat.

"are you stating an established and proven fact, or merely expressing your own opinion of what you think goes on inside someone else's head?"

YES.

I think you are confused about the question that was put to you.

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 22nd Sep 2011, 05:32pm
Post #170

Mega City Key Holder
I never said you were fat..

It was showing an comparison between an opinion and a fact !.

I am confused about the question that was put to me.

Ambiguity and lack of clarity do not lend themselves to good debate.

I took a stab at it. !!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 22nd Sep 2011, 05:50pm
Post #171

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Dylan @ 22nd Sep 2011, 07:18pm) *
I never said you were fat..

It matters not a jot. You are unable to prove it either way, concerning me or probably anyone else on this board. Certainly not without first defining what 'fat' means, and whether your definition is clinical or casual.

I am confused about the question that was put to me.

You confirm that my opinion was indeed fact...

Ambiguity and lack of clarity do not lend themselves to good debate.

When you wrote to 'wee davy'

"You have none, it is simply you looking for someone to blame."

I wanted to know whether it was a statement of fact (I need not explain the statement above, since it is your statement), or whether the sentence was merely your opinion, these being the two alternatives you yourself offer for any statement given on this board. I'm not sure how I can make your own statements simpler for you to understand. However, if you can tell me what confused you, I can try to make it clearer.

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
angel
post 22nd Sep 2011, 05:53pm
Post #172

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
Secularism: A definition

Secularism – what does it mean exactly?
Over the years the meaning of the word Secularism has become confused and misunderstood. As well as changing its meaning, and being open to interpretation in different ways, the word has also been misrepresented by some religious interests who fear the influence of secularism on privileges that they have enjoyed for centuries and taken for granted.

The following definition, by Muriel Fraser, who edits the Concordat Watch website is nearest to the understanding that the NSS has of secularism.

There is a thorough and wide-ranging examination of what secularism means in different parts of the world and how it is put into practice by some states called Secularism and Secularity – Contemporary International Perspectives, published here by the Institute for the Study of Secularism in Society and Culture.

A further description of secularism and the areas it covers can be found on the website of the Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (RSA).

What is secularism?
By Muriel Fraser
Many opponents of church-state separation try to distort the meaning of secularism. Some redefine it as state neutrality to allow their group (among others) to get state funding. Others try to discredit it by conflating secularism with atheism. Thus there are several senses of this word that we can safely ignore.

• Let’s skip the mediaeval origin of the word, where secular meant parish priests who were ‘in the world’ (in saeculo), as opposed to the monks who withdrew to a cloister.
  • Nor need we concern ourselves with the nineteenth-century meaning of the word secularism that was originally coined to express the personal philosophy of one George Jacob Holyoake. He used it for the whole bundle of things which he felt would lead to human happiness, such as well-being, science and doing good. His word has survived, but not his definition.
  • Let’s also skip the special pleading of some humanist and certain religious organisations for something variously called healthy secularism or state neutrality, that appears to be meant to justify all of them getting handouts from the state. They reject as 'radical secularism' any attempt to get them to pay their own way.
  • Finally, let’s ignore any clerics who try to conflate secularism with atheism

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 22nd Sep 2011, 06:30pm
Post #173

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Alex MacPhee @ 22nd Sep 2011, 06:36pm) *
It matters not a jot. You are unable to prove it either way, concerning me or probably anyone else on this board. Certainly not without first defining what 'fat' means, and whether your definition is clinical or casual.

You confirm that my opinion was indeed fact...

When you wrote to 'wee davy'

"You have none, it is simply you looking for someone to blame."

I wanted to know whether it was a statement of fact (I need not explain the statement above, since it is your statement), or whether the sentence was merely your opinion, these being the two alternatives you yourself offer for any statement given on this board. I'm not sure how I can make your own statements simpler for you to understand. However, if you can tell me what confused you, I can try to make it clearer.

I do not think you are fat. Somebody has obviously lied to me.

Sorry did not realise you were so self conscious.!

Mea culpa.

You said I was pedantic !!!!!

Dazed and Confused.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 22nd Sep 2011, 07:43pm
Post #174

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Dylan @ 22nd Sep 2011, 08:16pm) *
I do not think you are fat. Somebody has obviously lied to me.

Strictly speaking, you're only offering an opinion here, since there's no proof anyone said anything about me to you.

Sorry did not realise you were so self conscious.!

You keep introducing these assertions without prefacing them with 'in my opinion', since you cannot know whether I am self-conscious or not.

Mea culpa.

tua maxima culpa.

You said I was pedantic !!!!!

Merely showing that if you want to be a pedant, you have to be prepared to practise what you preach! The Pedant Police don't care who they pursue when the scent is in the air...

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 22nd Sep 2011, 08:01pm
Post #175

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Dylan @ 22nd Sep 2011, 02:56pm) *
Do not wish to be pedantic Alex but there are no Non Dom Schools, only RC et all or Public Schools

Non-denominational schools are sometimes, and inaccurately, referred to as 'Protestant schools', but they are not. The Church of Scotland turned all its schools over to the state about a hundred and fifty years ago. Entry to an RC school is prioritised on religious grounds, entry to non-denominational schools is not. This is why they are non-denominational.

In France they are Secular Schools with Religion taught by parents at home, where it belongs.

This is not quite true. The state education ministry manages both public and private schools by contract ; almost all private schools are Catholic, and staff salaries are paid by the Ministère de l’Éducation Nationale.

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 22nd Sep 2011, 08:10pm
Post #176

Mega City Key Holder
No one said anything to me about you. I made it up.

I do not know if you are self conscious or not. I made that up also.

However I suspect you made it up about The Pedantic Police.

You are off topic.!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 22nd Sep 2011, 08:27pm
Post #177

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Alex MacPhee @ 22nd Sep 2011, 08:47pm) *
Non-denominational schools are sometimes, and inaccurately, referred to as 'Protestant schools', but they are not. The Church of Scotland turned all its schools over to the state about a hundred and fifty years ago. Entry to an RC school is prioritised on religious grounds, entry to non-denominational schools is not. This is why they are non-denominational.

This is not quite true. The state education ministry manages both public and private schools by contract ; almost all private schools are Catholic, and staff salaries are paid by the Ministère de l’Éducation Nationale.

I thought you were having a laugh but you really need to win !!

If a School is a Christian School it can not be Non Dom by defination.

Christianity is taught , National Carriculum.

Non Dom became an accepted label for them for the very reasons you state..

.I could not find a state School for my children that did not teach Religion.

Your comments about France are also not quite true but I have lost the will to continue.

I will accept your next Post as the winmner

Last word .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 22nd Sep 2011, 08:32pm
Post #178

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Dylan @ 22nd Sep 2011, 10:13pm) *
Your comments about France are also not quite true

They are. I have spent a long time in French education and a long time in France.

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 22nd Sep 2011, 10:34pm
Post #179

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Ahhh, welcome back Alex. Welcome back. biggrin.gif
I used to do a bit of dueling in the RAF, sabre, foil and épée; the later being my favourite. biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 22nd Sep 2011, 11:18pm
Post #180

Mega City Key Holder
It's nice to be back.

Och, but épée was my favourite too. Sabre is fun but it can hurt (if you're up against a novice who thinks he's wielding a meat cleaver), and foil, well, that right of way thing is for those French pansies... A hit's a hit!

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.