Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasow Dancehall Memories
dbarber
post 14th May 2004, 08:41pm
Post #31

Visitor
Member No.: 334
QUOTE (Archie Millar @ 11th May 2004, 12:12 PM)
Used the P/shaws borough from 1952/59 met my wife there---she was from Pollok and I came from Carnwadric

ohmy.gif Imet my wife there too in 1958.I was from Tradeston and she was from Capelrig St,Carnwadric and got married Oct.59.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 15th May 2004, 01:45am
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
smile.gif Hi DB, I met my wife in the Palais, although I preferred the Locarno on a Thursday night. Tradeston is not a place we hear much about on here, my wife lived in Wallace Street across from the fire station, and I lived in Avon Street, then when married we started in a single end in Shields Road. For a time I worked at Findlay the printers on Commerce St.

+Quote Post
annie laurie
post 15th May 2004, 02:25am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 73
Hi George,
I did not know you lived in Avon Street, that is where my cousins lived The McCluskeys. cant remember the # although it was just a small St only about 3 closes on each side, my other Aunt lived in Houston St
The Burnie's my Girlfriend lived in Watts St the Mcleans, you know any of these Names, i think we talked about this before on the Chat Line,
How are you doing,? never seems to be anyone in the Chat when I try, Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 15th May 2004, 11:38pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
biggrin.gif Hi Annie, since I never see your name on the chat, I lived at 26 Avon St. from 1952-60 it was the first close round the corner from Shields Rd. on the south side of the street, the side nearest the river. My brother in law owned the dairy in Shields Road near the corner. I remember a family called Eccles, and another called Brown, also Mrs. Reid in our close had a son who played for Rangers as a teenager. I used to get my hair cut at Johnny Nobiles in Watt St. This being an "on topic" thread I'd better mention the jiggin! As well as the Locarno and Palais, sometimes we would go to the Coupar Institute. I asked one sister today if she remembered the McCluskeys, but no and neither of us recognized any of the other names you mentioned.
Cheers, George.

+Quote Post
Gemini
post 23rd May 2004, 03:40pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 193
the Palaise wis mah hangoot oan a Friday night widnae ,miss it for anything sometimes when there wis nothing tae dae oan a Tuesday or Thursday went there again but that wis kinda hard cos if we were gaun oot oan the Friday then the hoosework hud tae be dun oan
thursday or else we didnae git oot, oan Tuesday and Thurday all the fancy dancers were there but it was great to watch them. smile.gif

+Quote Post
*Alec Sweeney*
post 14th Dec 2017, 09:11pm
Post #36

Hi! I know this may be a dead thread by this point, but my gran, Helen Morrow (may have gone by her maiden name, not sure), she was a Jazz singer in Glasgow/Motherwell around 1957 I’ve been told. I don’t know which dancehalls though was curious is anyone ever saw/heard of her and could share any insight. It’d be greatly appreciated!!

+Quote Post
taurus
post 15th Dec 2017, 04:55am
Post #37

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
QUOTE (Alec Sweeney @ 15th Dec 2017, 08:11am) *
Hi! I know this may be a dead thread by this point, but my gran, Helen Morrow (may have gone by her maiden name, not sure), she was a Jazz singer in Glasgow/Motherwell around 1957 I’ve been told. I don’t know which dancehalls though was curious is anyone ever saw/heard of her and could share any insight. It’d be greatly appreciated!!

I have just had a memory flashback here,and I`m afraid it won`t be much use to you really,but Jimmy Alston was a great (Sinatra type) singer with the Billy McGregor band in Barrowland. The resident lady singer was a very mature lady,and she left and was replaced by a lovely young woman who sang with Jimmy,and they were very good together. We got married in 1958 and that was the end of our barrowland days,and it burned down that year anyway,but I`m almost certain the singer`s name was Helen.I remember Billy introducing her as the new resident singer.Her and Jimmy made a handsome couple at the mike,he was very suave and a dappy dresser.

+Quote Post
johnnyhendrickso...
post 1st May 2018, 08:16pm
Post #38

Visitor
Member No.: 12,826
[quote name='Margaret G

+Quote Post
johnnyhendrickso...
post 1st May 2018, 08:16pm
Post #39

Visitor
Member No.: 12,826
QUOTE (Margaret Gormley @ 23rd Feb 2004, 03:00pm) *
Great to see all the messages about the great Glasgow Dancehalls, thursday night at the Locarno great night but also the friday night at Greens Playhouse dancin tae the big bands, no heard that much about greens playhouse anybody else dae there toe-tapping there.

Loved all the pictures of the dancehalls the memories smile.gif while i'm at it does anyone remember the Queen Mary Jazz Club (up a cloase) on West Nile St with Bill Fanning and the big band sound also went to the Lindella Club on alternative Sundays.

Although i'm from Paisley my days and nights were spent in Glasgow

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.