Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who Remembers The Dandy, ...Korky The Cat and others
Jinty
post 11th Sep 2007, 05:34am
Post #31

Visitor
Member No.: 2,943
Apologies for my bad memory, Murn. I should have just've said, '' One name began with R.'' lol
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughmac
post 11th Jan 2008, 07:57pm
Post #32

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,797
My uncle Jim lived the next close to us. He was an electrician with D.C. Thomsons who printed many of these comics and every weekend he brought them all home for us. However, they didn't print the 'Eagle' so my dad bought it every week. But we couldn't get a read at it until he had finished it from cover to cover. By that time it was past our bedtime, so it was the next day before we saw it!

--------------------
O wad some Power the giftie gie us. To see oursels as ithers see us! ............ Rabbie Burns, (1759 - 1796), sittin' in the pub, drunk, seldom sober, feelin' sorry fur masel'.

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 29th Nov 2008, 02:54am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,256
I used to get the Dandy,Beano,Adventure every week, I would sometimes get the Film Fun with Cardew the Card, and I believe Jimmy and his Grockle was in the Film Fun, we are going back a few years

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 29th Nov 2008, 03:07am
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
oh corkey the cat and deperate dan

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
BigArturo1
post 1st May 2009, 01:21pm
Post #35

Visitor
Member No.: 4,755
Dandy – Korky the Cat, Beano – Biffo the Bear, Topper – Micky the Monkey and the Beezer ? Graduated on to The Buster, The Valiant and The Victor which being the 1950’s in my case and just after WW2, were full of war stories. The Eagle was a class publication apart from the great stories, it was printed on glossy paper which gave it a quality feel. Then The Wizard and Adventure and the small pocket sized Commando comics. Then the American invasion with all the super heroes – Superman, Batman, Green Lantern etc – in the DC Comics. Plenty of publications for your pocket money and we did a roaring trade swapping comics between pals.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 1st May 2009, 03:37pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Even the names there, BigArturo1, of the war comics ;Valiant and Victor...
These were the nuclear deterrent aircraft in the fifties before the Vulcan completed the trio. I served, later in the sixties, on the Victor, touched the Vulcan a time or two and we had an historical Valiant on a plinth on the base

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
wee sammy
post 1st May 2009, 07:59pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 64
What about Alf Tupper the runner the guy would eat Fish Suppers and never lost a race laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Evan
post 6th May 2009, 02:40pm
Post #38

Visitor
Member No.: 6,714
Comics can mirror your childhood to adulthood.
Beano; Dandy; then
Topper and Eagle; then
Rover; Hotspur; Adventure; Wizard; then
Tit Bits; then
XXXX
Remember swopping American "horror" and 3D comics round school in the early 60s.
In Paisley, near the ABC Regal cinema, "Yankee Mags". An absolutely incredible shop full to the rafters with new and used American comics. Used to spend hours there just reading, then buying one comic! Loved all the "Archie" comics.

+Quote Post
*mrs g*
post 4th Jul 2009, 12:04am
Post #39

I remember "Yankee Mags" very well. It was in Walker Street, Paisley next door to the red Post Office (at least, that's how it was always described. As a child I visited it regularly where we could buy really different comics and scraps (remember them?) When I was 14 I started to work in the shop part-time and continued to do that til the shop closed around 1983. It was an Aladdin's cave!!! It is very affectionately remembered by many adults in Paisley as it opened before WW2 !

+Quote Post
klingon
post 23rd Sep 2009, 02:20am
Post #40

Super Resident
Member No.: 4,815
QUOTE (wee sammy @ 1st May 2009, 10:04pm) *
What about Alf Tupper the runner the guy would eat Fish Suppers and never lost a race laugh.gif

"the tough of the track"!-My favourite was Dc Thompsons "Commando" comics or "Wee Warries"!-used to get them in any one of the 3 or 4 comic shops on Parliamentary rd in Townhead-the man used to stamp them with a star or a crescent or whatever and you could "swap" them for other comics-I remember the price of Dc comics in 1959-marked at the top right hand-10c/9d! only 10c wiznae 9d!-at $4 to the pound it was nearer 2 1/2d !-some profit!-wee Warries were 6d-musta collected about 200 of them-new ones came out every week-think I had a full set from no1 to no 235!-worth a mint now!
used to get the Eagle now and again but it was too posh and too dear!-but liked Dan Dare,Topper and Beezer were more my level-"Kings of Castaway Island"-that sort of stuff.

--------------------
I hate two faced people-I don't know what face to punch first!

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 23rd Sep 2009, 07:11am
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
I remember the "cut-throat" business of swapping with yer M8s.
"That wan? that's two fur wan, or nuchin' pal."

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
auldbutcher
post 25th Sep 2009, 06:04pm
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,459
ach the eagle came oot when ah wis loosin interest in comics think ah wiz 32 at the time it wis ah yuppy comic. me, ah loved the rover ,adventure ,wizard an hotspur. wild young dirky , the deadly dirks , stories ye followed up each week . morgyn the mighty an strang the terrible ,tough o the track aye he wis beatin noo an agin but usually cos o some upperclasses skulldugery .me an ma pal used tae go haufs there wis 4 comics ah week an we used tae take wan each an swap ower .dudley d watkins wis ah great cartoonist he gied us oor wullie the broons etc my fav wis v fer vengeance the deathless men aw guys who had suffered at the hauns o the nazis there leader wis a brit agent who had infiltrated the gestapo von sumpkin or other . ach it wis aw good fun .an it wis only ah tanner tae get intae the pics on ah setterday efter noon am talkin 40s an early 50s things wis bleak but ach ye made yer ain intertainment in govan it wis the lyceum ,vogue ,plaza , aw showed ah kids matinee on ah setterday .

+Quote Post
auldbutcher
post 25th Sep 2009, 06:07pm
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,459
ops there wiz ah radio fun an ah film fun ma sisters luved them laurel an hardy , etc in the film fun ah wisnae intae them

+Quote Post
frame
post 1st Nov 2009, 08:41pm
Post #44

Super Visitor
Member No.: 2,486
The Dandy and The Beano. I think at some time they were the reading diet of the Scottish youth.
I remember so well waiting patiently for the weekly editions. In my day I paid tuppence for each comic, I carried them home from the newsagents like some demented secret envoy expecting to be mugged. When I got home I would read them very fast then re-read them slowly. After that, it was a case of swopping for any editions you had missed. Speaking of which, if I did miss an edition for whatever reason, my heart would miss a beat and I would go into severe withdrawal symptoms.

PURE DEAD BRILLIANT !!!

--------------------
speed bonny boat

+Quote Post
Heather
post 11th Feb 2010, 12:13am
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I remember The Dandy, The Beano. One came out on a Tuesday and the other came out on a Thursday. I think the Film Fun also came out on a Thursday.

I can't remember what day the Girls Crystal came out but I still have a Girls Crystal Annual 1949.
A bit bashed about but still readable.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.