Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Moeshy, does anyone remember this game
big karen
post 10th Oct 2007, 07:50pm
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,433
Probably spelt it wrong but it was pronounced Mo-sh-ae...you dug three small holes in the tarmac out the back and you had to throw coins into the holes but you could also knock other coins away...can't remember exactly how it is played and so if anyone does can you let me know...jist so i can sleep the night..
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marion Niven Dou...
post 11th Oct 2007, 03:19pm
Post #2

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,715
Welcome to the GG Karen. Sorry I can't help with the game. I do remember lots of them, not this one

+Quote Post
Luceo
post 11th Oct 2007, 03:42pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 18
I remember the game but it is my recollection that it was played with marbles (bools?).

Luceo

--------------------
Never give a sword to a man who cannot dance - African Proverb

+Quote Post
maryhillgal
post 12th Oct 2007, 01:49am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,960
I also think it was played with marbles Karen but will check up for you.

+Quote Post
hughmac
post 11th Jan 2008, 07:51pm
Post #5

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,797
Karen's right. The gamblers played with coins, and the person who got his coin in all three holes first was the winner and collected all the pennies!
There was also a game where you threw your coins up against the wall and the winner was the nearest. And then there was tossing two coins up in the air and betting on they side they landed. Some of these were serious gambling games played by adult men.

I think us kids may have used ha'pennies or even farthings! (Go on, ask me, whit's a farthin'?)

Answer: a quarter of a penny, or half a ha'penny or in todays currency, about a tenth of 1p.!

--------------------
O wad some Power the giftie gie us. To see oursels as ithers see us! ............ Rabbie Burns, (1759 - 1796), sittin' in the pub, drunk, seldom sober, feelin' sorry fur masel'.

+Quote Post
weelew
post 26th Oct 2008, 06:43pm
Post #6

City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,131
Big Karen is exactly correct . Ther4e was three holes called moats and the object was to get your PENNY as in old money into the moats you threw your penny at the moats and if you hit someone elses then you lifted that penny and then you had another shot at the next moat up to the last moat .We used to play it after school in the lane between Garthamlock and Ruchazie ,everyone had there favourite penny whjch they would polish untill you could see your face in it.

+Quote Post
hughmac
post 26th Oct 2008, 07:18pm
Post #7

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,797
Hi Weelew,
Wis that the lane that ran by the water tanks? I lived in Binns Road, Garthamlock between 1955 and 1964, which was near there. My memories of 'moshie' however, were from the back courts of Bernard St., Bridgeton, before we moved to the 'far west'.

--------------------
O wad some Power the giftie gie us. To see oursels as ithers see us! ............ Rabbie Burns, (1759 - 1796), sittin' in the pub, drunk, seldom sober, feelin' sorry fur masel'.

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 28th Oct 2008, 01:05pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 22
Moashey we played with pennies or bools you had the three holes ,and you tossed a coin or done the paper and scissors ,or some other method ,to see who went first Once you had managed to go up then down the holes sucessfully . you were then "dougie" and you could try to hit , the other guys penny or bool He could not get to you till he was dougie. I have seen the game go the length of a street, as you had to hold your bool , at shoulder height as you threw it, so if you missed , it would skid along for a few feet , and the other guy had to try and hit yours and so on.Great summers night game.

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd

+Quote Post
*weelew**
post 29th Oct 2008, 10:20pm
Post #9

QUOTE (hughmac @ 26th Oct 2008, 07:26pm) *
Hi Weelew,
Wis that the lane that ran by the water tanks? I lived in Binns Road, Garthamlock between 1955 and 1964, which was near there. My memories of 'moshie' however, were from the back courts of Bernard St., Bridgeton, before we moved to the 'far west'.

Thats the very same place ,i stayed in Ruchazie and went to garthamlock secondary school ,we had to walk up and down that lane every day ,thats where all the school fights were to .

+Quote Post
mrssnuffy
post 12th Feb 2010, 02:09pm
Post #10

Super Visitor
Member No.: 8,120
Ma Mammy told me aboot Moeshy which was played wi Jawries (?) and that was back in the early 1900s. Wonder if kids today even know what marbles are?

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 12th Feb 2010, 02:22pm
Post #11

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,742
Mrssnuffy, l just seen a bg of marbles at the local Wal-Mart the other day, l have seen them in some of the dollar stores too.
Foxy

+Quote Post
mrssnuffy
post 12th Feb 2010, 09:38pm
Post #12

Super Visitor
Hi Foxy 52. Where did you live back home?

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 13th Feb 2010, 02:20am
Post #13

Super Lord Provost
Hi mrssnuffy, l was born and raised on Keppochhill Road, number 419, next to Pinkston Road. I went to Keppochhill Primary then onto Possil Junior Secondary on Saracen Street. Now living about 20 miles north of Detroit, Michigan
What about you?
Foxy

+Quote Post
mrssnuffy
post 13th Feb 2010, 02:56am
Post #14

Super Visitor
Hi Foxy, lived at Paisley Road Toll, above the Old Toll Bar. Then moved to Castlemilk. Went to Shields Road, Scotland St., Windlaw and Strathbungo schools. Left in 1973 for work and now live a couple of miles outside of DC. My nickname all through school was Foxy and then later on it became Foxy Lady!!!!

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 13th Feb 2010, 11:36am
Post #15

Super Lord Provost
Hi again, My oldest sister used to live in Fairfax Va. about 10years ago.
When l drove trucks l went there a lot, hated the D.C. traffic....
retired now, leave the driving to my youngest son. I have 2 step sisters, who went to school in Castlemilk, but l'm not sure which school, Their names are Mauren and Ann Fox, Maureen left school l think 66/67, and ann would be around73.
Foxy

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.