Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tradeston
GG
post 17th Mar 2007, 06:10pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Tradeston

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Tradeston

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
southsider
post 19th May 2008, 02:13am
Post #2

Special Visitor
Member No.: 1,754
I was born at 114 West St. and lived there until I was eight. I moved to Canada in 1957 when I was eleven and can't believe the vivid memories I still have of those years, there were five closes on the block and I had aunties and uncles and cousins or grannies in every one, who we saw on a daily basis. I went to Centre St School and still remember my teachers, Miss Hunter and Miss McCallum. When you visit the area now, which is under the Kingston Bridge, and just a patch of grass, its hard to imagine the lively vibrant community that once was here, so sad.

+Quote Post
issi
post 14th Sep 2008, 08:22am
Post #3

Visitor
Member No.: 6,023
QUOTE (southsider @ 19th May 2008, 03:17am) *
I was born at 114 West St. and lived there until I was eight. I moved to Canada in 1957 when I was eleven and can't believe the vivid memories I still have of those years, there were five closes on the block and I had aunties and uncles and cousins or grannies in every one, who we saw on a daily basis. I went to Centre St School and still remember my teachers, Miss Hunter and Miss McCallum. When you visit the area now, which is under the Kingston Bridge, and just a patch of grass, its hard to imagine the lively vibrant community that once was here, so sad.

+Quote Post
issi
post 14th Sep 2008, 09:10am
Post #4

Visitor
Member No.: 6,023
hi southsider you brought back some memories of centre st school i will never forget miss hunter i was terrified of her do you remember the way she dressed? either all in purple with matching stockings or all in tartan nevertheless she used to facinate me with her dress sense i think she was born before her time i met her on the bus when i was about 18 and i was a bit apprehensive but she started talking to me and she was really a very nice person and i thought how wrong can you be but then i was a scallywag at school you and i must be similar age do you remember miss shlomka the headmistress? not sure if that the correct spelling and mrs boyle it was a good school i came from centre street its all cach and carry stores there now the old swingpark is gone i loved that place do you remember the parkie with the red nose he used to chase us kids if we done anything to upset him but he was easy upset. tradeston is a very different place now i dont know if you remember the steamie we used to go there to have a bath apart from the old zinc tub we had at home and used to get a bath in front of the fire but then you were only eight whe you left scotland so maybe you dont remember these things do you ever come back for a visit? if you do you must see the changes here i myself lived in america for some time but here i am back in glasgow i live in shawlands now and i do like it , anyway thanks for the trip down memory lane this is the first time i have answered to anyone on this site so i hope this gets through as i do love this site so by for now also southsider

+Quote Post
pmac
post 26th May 2009, 12:49pm
Post #5

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,963
I remember the steamie in Tradeston. I lived on Shearer Street, went to Crookston Street School and remember playing fitba against Centre Street School moved away when the bridge has built lived in Ibrox for a while moved in 1975 now live in Guelph Ontario

+Quote Post
tradeston lassie
post 31st Jul 2009, 06:39pm
Post #6

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,268
QUOTE (pmac @ 26th May 2009, 02:06pm) *
I remember the steamie in Tradeston. I lived on Shearer Street, went to Crookston Street School and remember playing fitba against Centre Street School moved away when the bridge has built lived in Ibrox for a while moved in 1975 now live in Guelph Ontario

I lived in Kinning St, and went to Crookston street school also, I had a few friends who lived in Shearer street, and in the school holidays, we all went down to shearer st to the ferry, and went accross to Finnieston, one day the ferry man wouldn't let us go back over, that's when I discovered the old tunnell, boy was that scary the first time we wen't through

+Quote Post
margie
post 31st Jul 2009, 06:54pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,901
Hi Tradeston Lass, I remember in the early sixties going out with a guy from west street,his name was Robert and I remember he had ginger hair and was a great jiver. He used to go to the Lyndella club.Can,t remember his second name, it was so long ago. Just wonder if anyone knew him. cheers Margie.

+Quote Post
AlexM43
post 14th Oct 2009, 02:31pm
Post #8

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,348
Just like to say Hi! to everyone invoved in this forum. I've been reading through the stuff being raised and discussed and I think it's fantastic. I grew up in Watt Street at "116" and have great memories of my childhood there. I want to Shields Road Primary (1948 - 1955) and then Crookston Street Secondary (1955 - 1958).
I've recently been in touch with someone in Canada who also lived in Watt Street in the late 40s early 50s. Something came up in discussion and I wondered if anyone who knew the Tradeston area could help. There's an area somewhere around Tradeston - maybe just outside - known as "The Cunyon" (my spelling) where we used to play as kids but we've forgotten where it was exactly. It was a derelict/grassy/hilly place where we went to play on our bikes. It would be great if anyone remembered this place and where it was situated.

+Quote Post
**Sandra**
post 8th Dec 2009, 09:03pm
Post #9

I have found documents showing that relatives were living in 153 Gloucester Street, Tradeston in 1873.
Can anyone advise where this was located as I believe it may now be an on or off ramp from the M8.
Was it near where Sher Bros cash and carry is now located????

Help.

+Quote Post
tradeston lassie
post 16th Mar 2010, 09:40pm
Post #10

Unpacking
QUOTE (AlexM43 @ 14th Oct 2009, 02:48pm) *
Just like to say Hi! to everyone invoved in this forum. I've been reading through the stuff being raised and discussed and I think it's fantastic. I grew up in Watt Street at "116" and have great memories of my childhood there. I want to Shields Road Primary (1948 - 1955) and then Crookston Street Secondary (1955 - 1958).
I've recently been in touch with someone in Canada who also lived in Watt Street in the late 40s early 50s. Something came up in discussion and I wondered if anyone who knew the Tradeston area could help. There's an area somewhere around Tradeston - maybe just outside - known as "The Cunyon" (my spelling) where we used to play as kids but we've forgotten where it was exactly. It was a derelict/grassy/hilly place where we went to play on our bikes. It would be great if anyone remembered this place and where it was situated.

Hi Was born an brought up in Kinning Street, and to my recolection the Cunyon would have been up at the back of West Street Subway, I think it was also called the Bogeys, this being because it was where the coal was stored, hope this helps,

+Quote Post
tradeston lassie
post 16th Mar 2010, 09:43pm
Post #11

Unpacking
Hi, Gloucester Street was in the vicinty of Sher Bros, hard to find, with all the new buildings, it was down beside the Cooperative Buildings at Morrison Street, by the way what was your ancestors name, I was brought up in Kinning street, which was off Gloucester Street, doing my family tree, and interested in all names

+Quote Post
*Scratcher*
post 11th Aug 2010, 03:11pm
Post #12

QUOTE (*Sandra* @ 8th Dec 2009, 10:13pm) *
I have found documents showing that relatives were living in 153 Gloucester Street, Tradeston in 1873.
Can anyone advise where this was located as I believe it may now be an on or off ramp from the M8.
Was it near where Sher Bros cash and carry is now located????

Help.

I was born and lived at 153 Gloucester Street in the early 1960s; went to St Margaret & Mary's primary school in Stanley Street.
153 GS is now one of the pillars/stantions of the M8 motorway.
It was two 'closes' away from the end of the street on the corner with Carnoustie Street.
Many happy memories but it really was a run-down area devoid of good housing.
The buildings were fantastic with incredible architecture and should never have been pulled down en-masse. Part of Gloucester Street at this end still exists but there are no buildings left.

+Quote Post
marly
post 26th Jan 2011, 05:11pm
Post #13

Unpacking
Member No.: 10,302
QUOTE (issi @ 14th Sep 2008, 08:48am) *
hi southsider you brought back some memories of centre st school i will never forget miss hunter i was terrified of her do you remember the way she dressed? either all in purple with matching stockings or all in tartan nevertheless she used to facinate me with her dress sense i think she was born before her time i met her on the bus when i was about 18 and i was a bit apprehensive but she started talking to me and she was really a very nice person and i thought how wrong can you be but then i was a scallywag at school you and i must be similar age do you remember miss shlomka the headmistress? not sure if that the correct spelling and mrs boyle it was a good school i came from centre street its all cach and carry stores there now the old swingpark is gone i loved that place do you remember the parkie with the red nose he used to chase us kids if we done anything to upset him but he was easy upset. tradeston is a very different place now i dont know if you remember the steamie we used to go there to have a bath apart from the old zinc tub we had at home and used to get a bath in front of the fire but then you were only eight whe you left scotland so maybe you dont remember these things do you ever come back for a visit? if you do you must see the changes here i myself lived in america for some time but here i am back in glasgow i live in shawlands now and i do like it , anyway thanks for the trip down memory lane this is the first time i have answered to anyone on this site so i hope this gets through as i do love this site so by for now also southsider

Hi there,

I went to Centre Street school and remember all of the people you mention, it was a great place to be in the 50s and 60s. I lived at no 73 Tradeston street, as you say all changed now, our building has been completely demolished, v. sad.

+Quote Post
phil
post 9th Jun 2011, 02:42pm
Post #14

Unpacking
Member No.: 10,696
i was born at 69 tradeston st in1937 in my grannies house(mrs travers)i remember the landmine thet hit the tramcar in nelson st,my grannies house was demolished.my da was brought up in 42 kinning st,hughie mack,and my aunt sally moved to gloucester st,up the pawn close,with the omax store accross the road .happy mamories.

+Quote Post
yingying
post 10th Sep 2011, 02:06am
Post #15

Settling In
Member No.: 11,584
to ALEX M43 i also went to play at the CUNYON it was just before you get to the POLLOK ESTATE PARK @just after the MAXWELL PARK you rode your bike (if you had one) or played in the water on rafts made from large pieces of cork or old doors there was 7 wee hills to ride your bike over and sometimes guys came round with old motor bikes and would race over the 7 hills and round the dirt track what a place now fancy flats and houses were built on the site in the late 70s lovely memories gotta go now so HEREs TAE US WHAs LIKE US GIE FEW AN THEYRE A DEID

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Jun 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.