Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

10 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Time To Restore Dignity To George Square?, A decision for the people of Glasgow
*ew1dim*
post 26th Jun 2013, 06:09pm
Post #106

Totally agree with you CAT.... these councillors are so far removed from the reality of day-to-day living that they have no idea what ordinary people want. Its ridiculous for them to be spending so much money on tarting up selected parts of the city for the Mickey Mouse Games that last barely a fortnight. If these same councillors actually ventured out beyond the privilege of city chambers they would see that people are not in the slightest bit interested in a third rate sporting event.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 27th Jun 2013, 10:43am
Post #107

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
QUOTE (CAT @ 26th Jun 2013, 03:56pm) *
I just really don't think that this is a priority at the moment there are worse parts of the city that the visitors will see. The council should get their priorities right.

Last night I went along to the commonwealth pool at Tollcross and from what I saw the pool looks exactlay the same as before. The only difference being an extension at the back to house another spectators gallery and the gym has been improved. At cost of 14m this is another overspend as far as I can see at that cost. To say it has improved facilities for the public is ridiculous the pool and changing rooms aren't any better. The upgrade to the gym was it worth it..No as they have installed an excellent new facility at the Emirates Arena a few minutes along the road. So as far as I can see we have spent 14m and waited 2 years without a local pool just to get some seating which after the event will rarely be used.

Absolutely agree with you CAT.... I visited with the grand weans just after it opened again in May and was disappointed to see that there really wasnt much difference. The changing rooms were where we needed changes and they are still the same. The 14m would have been better spent on more staff to keep things clean and fresh. I really dont see why these changes cost so much and took so long??

+Quote Post
CAT
post 27th Jun 2013, 11:04am
Post #108

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,390
I have just read on Glasgow life there is a new training pool as well as the big pool with the lanes I didn't see this. However the family pool hasn't changed a bit and is still very small and over crowded. This just say's to me that these improvements were made for a small minority of swimmers and no thought given to the everday families (council tax payers) and kids who want to use it. And your right scotsman the changing rooms are still the same. 14 MILLION POUNDS !!! I want ma money back. angry.gif

+Quote Post
GG
post 10th Jul 2013, 10:12pm
Post #109

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
It's seems like the concept of 'zero-sum' is one that Glasgow city councillors have yet to grasp. Given their track record, it's no surprise.

Plan to ban cars from George Square

Private cars could be banned from the north side of George Square under plans drawn up by Glasgow City Council.

The proposal would see a bus gate opened to reduce traffic in the area by up to 70%.

Roads bosses also plan to ban all vehicles, except bicycles, from the section of George Square in front of the City Chambers.

They said the moves, which have gone out to consultation, could reduce congestion and pollution in the area.

The bus gate would be introduced at the West Nile Street access to Nelson Mandela Place. ...

Full story here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tays...entral-23256210

Elsewhere, Neil Greig, of the Institute of Advanced Motorists, made it clear that he was concerned the new traffic rules would result in congestion in other parts of the city. He questioned whether the changes would have much impact on pollution.

Mr Greig said:
"The council is trying to develop the area as a pedestrian location but often these things have unintended consequences.They need to very carefully monitor where the traffic is going and any congestion problems.

In my view, most of the pollution comes from vans, lorries and buses belching out diesel fumes. I don't see removing private cars from the city centre will make that much of a difference."

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
farci
post 11th Jul 2013, 09:04am
Post #110

Visitor
Member No.: 5,346
QUOTE (GG @ 10th Jul 2013, 11:20pm) *
Elsewhere, Neil Greig, of the Institute of Advanced Motorists, made it clear that he was concerned the new traffic rules would result in congestion in other parts of the city. He questioned whether the changes would have much impact on pollution.
"In my view, most of the pollution comes from vans, lorries and buses belching out diesel fumes. I don't see removing private cars from the city centre will make that much of a difference".

Mr Greig quite rightly draws attention to the need for better emissions control but 35 years ago Buchanan Street was pedestrianised to the accompaniment of predictions of gloom and doom.

GG is correct that the cooncil often goes for a quick fix without thinking through the consequences. That's no reason to oppose what should be a very positive move towards a more pleasant city centre

+Quote Post
d.c.
post 3rd Sep 2013, 11:25am
Post #111

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 19
The red tarmac in George Square is almost gone:
http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2983

+Quote Post
carmella
post 3rd Sep 2013, 12:57pm
Post #112

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
I confess to being a bit of a traditionalist in many areas. My big passion in life is area conservation, and building conservation/preservation/saving from doom - where at all possible.

I don't care in any way for modern buildings and construction, except in a very few cases where modern buildings are outstanding in their design and merge beautifully with the old.

My favourites are Victorian and Georgian designs. As we all know Glasgow is known as the Second City, it was at one time beautiful, as were many other cities - they are not duplicates of each other. This can be said for many cities in the UK.

I have my favourites, I love Glasgow and Edinburgh the most. Now when it comes to George Square, which if you were able to knock down the modern buildings looking onto the Square, and erect something more in keeping with the surrounding architecture - it would be fantastic. Step one, removing the red is a great move, and I can only hope that it can be restored to what I perceive is its former glory.

Why can't the highly paid city chambers employees (you all know who I mean) put taste back into the square, and try their utmost to bring it back to its glory, instead of trying to modernize, as they did when they made the decision to place red tarmac there in the first place, there seems to be some mad rush to make things modern - utter rubbish, red did not suit when it was done, and anyone with a bit of foresight would have been able to work that one out at the time it was agreed, so glad it's being removed.

Let's hope the final look is fitting to the great Square, and we can forget all this modernization of something which should be preserved as close to the original aspect as possible.

I have this wee thing that I like to do a couple of times a week - only because I have the time. I bring up google maps put a street name in i.e. Great Western Road, Glasgow, the road which was the M1 of its day in the 19th century, and I follow along the older part of it - it's good fun. What you see all the way out are the beautiful terraced houses - of which there are so many in Glasgow.

Glasgow has some beautiful buildings, in many different areas, it's actually a very beautiful city - which an unfortunate reputation.

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 3rd Sep 2013, 02:11pm
Post #113

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
I take virtual walks down streets as well Carmella and its usually when I have to go somewhere that I don't know too well. I plot my route on Google maps and then use the street view to find landmarks close to where I'm going but also enjoy looking at the old building in the process. I love the fact that the higher you look, the more ornate these buildings get. New builds, to my mind, have no character or soul. Mary

+Quote Post
carmella
post 3rd Sep 2013, 02:32pm
Post #114

Mega City Key Holder
Mary I totally agree with you, new buildings have no soul, but they do say what is ugly to some people is beauty to others, so I don't know if that makes us right or wrong, I just know what I like.

You're right too about using street views. I have in the past put an address in too and looked for some landmark that I would see from the car - know I'm at least closeby.

Mary if you like old, you should put in Charleston, South Carolina, into google - oh my what a most beautiful place that must be to live. If only I could visit that place one day I'd be a happy bunny. I heard it was beautiful, but last week I took a virtual tour, ending up looking at some houses with the ocean view - give yourself a treat.

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 3rd Sep 2013, 02:56pm
Post #115

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
I will do that Carmella. I'm a big fan of Georgette Heyer Regency novels and love wandering round the London streets she mentions in her books as lots of the original buildings are still there. Mary biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
carmella
post 3rd Sep 2013, 06:58pm
Post #116

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (mlconnelly @ 3rd Sep 2013, 03:54pm) *
I will do that Carmella. I'm a big fan of Georgette Heyer Regency novels and love wandering round the London streets she mentions in her books as lots of the original buildings are still there. Mary biggrin.gif

Another city with the most gorgeous architecture.

--------------------
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
Rab
post 4th Sep 2013, 09:35pm
Post #117

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,266
QUOTE (mlconnelly @ 3rd Sep 2013, 03:09pm) *
I take virtual walks down streets as well Carmella and its usually when I have to go somewhere that I don't know too well. I plot my route on Google maps and then use the street view to find landmarks close to where I'm going but also enjoy looking at the old building in the process. I love the fact that the higher you look, the more ornate these buildings get. New builds, to my mind, have no character or soul. Mary

As we walk along streets in towns and cities, how many of us look up? My Dad told me to do this and its amazing what you can see of building design of the past. Its very entertaining I think. I brought up my two sons to do the same.

--------------------
Back to using my original name... Rab

+Quote Post
carmella
post 4th Sep 2013, 11:06pm
Post #118

Mega City Key Holder
Several years ago, I took a distant relative of mine who lived in Cornwall, up to Glasgow for a day's shopping and lunch etc. She was about 20 years younger than me, and had 'heard some bad stuff' about Glasgow so didn't really want to go.

Well, she went with me on the train from Ayr - as we progressed through the streets that's exactly what I told her to do was to look up at some of the fantastic buildings and how they were architecturally finished to the highest standards. She was amazed, my only concern that day was that I knew she and I didn't have enough time to make the trip again and do more of the sights in Glasgow, because it was not what she expected to see, after what she had heard about the city - she was most pleasantly surprised.

Always look up and take in as much as possible.

--------------------
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
d.c.
post 2nd Nov 2013, 04:47pm
Post #119

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 19
I see that the George Square webcam has been repositioned towards the centre of the City Chambers, and now gives a better view of the square:

+Quote Post
farci
post 3rd Nov 2013, 09:26am
Post #120

Visitor
Member No.: 5,346
QUOTE (d.c. @ 2nd Nov 2013, 05:36pm) *
I see that the George Square webcam has been repositioned towards the centre of the City Chambers, and now gives a better view of the square:

Very nice - pity they didn't reset the webcam clock from British Summer Time!

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.