Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tinkers Tartan, Lazy besom
junemc
post 15th Mar 2006, 03:16pm
Post #1

Visitor
Member No.: 1,592
Do you remember when it was a terrible thing to get 'tinkers tartan' on your legs. It was because you had your legs too near the coal fire, and they would be all mottled red. Because of this you would be termed a lazy besom, because you had sat at the fire doing nothing for so long.
Isn't it strange to think our kids will never see a coal fire in their lives, they don't know what they are missing. huh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lexi
post 19th Jul 2007, 08:14am
Post #2

Settling In
Member No.: 4,091
corned beef legs we called it

Alex

+Quote Post
Geezabrek
post 19th Jul 2007, 07:53pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,442
I knew it as - Granny Legs smile.gif

--------------------
If u canny fix it wi a hammer - It's an electrical problem!

+Quote Post
annie laurie
post 19th Jul 2007, 09:04pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 73
I remember it being called Fireside Tartan legs laugh.gif

+Quote Post
marydee
post 19th Jul 2007, 09:09pm
Post #5

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,766
Fireside Tartan my granny called it and I remember coal fires wi' your front roasting and your back freezing and only one fire in a 'new' three bedroomed house... meeting the winter mornings with the grey ashes to empty, the fire to set up and to blow with the shovel propped up in the middle covered over with the Evening Citizen and no hot water 'till the fire was well alight and the terrible times when there was no money for coal ....give me gas fired central heating any day.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 19th Jul 2007, 10:20pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I knew it as, ' tartan legs'.

I remember the days of putting the shovel in front of the fire with a newspaper across it to draw the fire and help it light quicker. You had to watch it incase the paper caught fire.

When my parents moved with us to Barlanark, it was a five apartment house and the only fire place was in the living room. The upstairs of the house was freezing in the Winter. So we got a paraffin fire to heat up the bedrooms, and we used to sneak into whichever bedroom had the heater and move it in our own bedroom. rolleyes.gif

We do not have a fireplace, as the house's where we live were built with Gas Central Heating only.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 20th Jul 2007, 12:11am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
in my ma mammys hoose in ardencraig the hoose was an ice box and we all huddles roon the 23 bar electric coal fire as much heat as shovulin snaw for a livin the rooms hid iccicles inside the windies bliddy freezin we never got enough heat between six to get tartan legs then lol a think this pig got too near the fire well fired
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Aug 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.