Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mary Connor's Shop On Rolland Street - Then Maryhill
AlexK
post 17th Nov 2009, 01:13am
Post #1

Settling In
Member No.: 7,398
I was wondering if anyone could help resolve a "discussion" between my brother and I about where this shop was. I am a couple of years older so I claim that my memory is a little clearer about how things were when we emigrated from Marmion Street in 1955 but he went back in the early '80s when the area was full of squatters so he claims to know better.

My memory is that the shop was on the north side of Rolland Street almost right opposite Bob McMillan's butcher shop - so that if you drove north along Marmion St and forgot to turn at Rolland St you would almost drive right into her shop (actually, a hair to the left of her shop). He claims that it was on the south west side of Rolland St, right beside the Fish and Chip shop. He actually has a photo of three derelict shops in a row, one a fish and chip shop, one you acn read "..NNOR" behind framing for another sign and one that he says was a plummer. I know there was a laundrette beside Bob McMillan's and a baker a little west of opposite the chippy.

Does anyone have any knowledge of these shops? Or does anyone have any photos?

Regards,
Alex

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
**Jim**
post 13th Feb 2010, 12:17am
Post #2

At the junction of Arden Street and Rolland Street was Tait's, on Rolland street at the corner of Marmion Street was a laundrette, there's a photo on the net that clearly shows these shops. Either next door or next door but one to the laundrette I think was a butchers. Accross the road from these was a grocers (similar to Tait's), a chip shop and a newsagent, there may have been more but I can't remember. Any chance you could post your photograph?

Cheers
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.