Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> World War 11 Enlistment, Glasgow / Clydebank Regiment
Joey
post 28th Nov 2015, 07:23pm
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 32,220
Hi All,

I have been doing some family research and it appears that my late Uncle, who was from Clydebank, enlisted in the Army during WW11 and family folklore has it that he served in the Italian Campaign.

I have been unable to find any record of him.

Would anybody know which Regiment he is likely to have joined if joining in Glasgow /Clydebank ?

Would anybody know where would be the best places to make further searches.

Many thanks.

JD.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 28th Nov 2015, 09:41pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
Hi Joey. I think your best bet would be to try contacting the MOD, 65 Brown St, Glasgow. Phone numbers are 0141 248 7890 or 0845 600 9663. Hopefully someone there can point you in the right direction. Good luck.

Mary

+Quote Post
**Raymond Bell**
post 19th Feb 2016, 12:05am
Post #3

Hi Joey

What information do you have on him ie Name - Date of birth basically anything that might help you in your search If you went through Brown Street they will need to know like his Regimental Number - Unit Rank Name - and a few other bits of information -

I do Ancestry and War Records so if you have any info please post here and I'll have a look.

Raymond.

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 19th Feb 2016, 09:04pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
QUOTE (*Raymond Bell* @ 18th Feb 2016, 04:13pm) *
Hi Joey

What information do you have on him ie Name - Date of birth basically anything that might help you in your search If you went through Brown Street they will need to know like his Regimental Number - Unit Rank Name - and a few other bits of information -

I do Ancestry and War Records so if you have any info please post here and I'll have a look.

Raymond.
Hi Raymond...was wondering,being as you do war records if you have any info on 'Karl Denver' (Angus Murdo McKenzie) said in his obituary he served with the Argyll's and was wounded in Korea,he was my brothers best mate and used to live beside us in Springburn,seems there's a wee bit controversy about his actual service history....Thanks!

+Quote Post
zoro
post 20th Feb 2016, 01:45am
Post #5

Settling In

Member No.: 32,688
QUOTE (wellfield @ 19th Feb 2016, 09:12pm) *
Hi Raymond...was wondering,being as you do war records if you have any info on 'Karl Denver' (Angus Murdo McKenzie) said in his obituary he served with the Argyll's and was wounded in Korea,he was my brothers best mate and used to live beside us in Springburn,seems there's a wee bit controversy about his actual service history....Thanks!

Try here Welly.....http://www.gvcrecords.com/link-wray-the-raymen-rumbles-raw-hides-jacks-aces-1956-1962/ thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 20th Feb 2016, 04:29pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (zoro @ 19th Feb 2016, 05:53pm) *
Try here Welly.....http://www.gvcrecords.com/link-wray-the-raymen-rumbles-raw-hides-jacks-aces-1956-1962/ thumbup.gif

Thanks zoro!...i'll try that!

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 20th Feb 2016, 04:52pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Hi again zoro....that was the most 'in depth' article I've read so far!....I was a bit younger than him,he taught me some guitar chords and harmonica,he was quite a Lad for sure!...Back in the 60's my mother came back to California after a trip to Scotland,handed me 2 albums with the name 'Karl Denver'..I said "who the hell is he"...she said "It's Gus".....floored me!....thanks again zoro for the info.......Campbell Tuck

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 21st Feb 2016, 03:07pm
Post #8

QUOTE (*Raymond Bell* @ 19th Feb 2016, 12:13am) *
Hi Joey

Raymond.

Dear sir I am at a loss to find any information about my mothers service record. I have loads of photographs taken of her with her various uniforms; first A.T.S. then Searchlight (Canvey Island) and finally Royal Artillery. She was a member of the R.A. association until her death but they will give no help or advice. All I require is where to look.

She also used two different names; one her step fathers before reverting to he actual fathers name. I am unsure of when this occurred.

Thank you for consideration.

+Quote Post
zoro
post 23rd Feb 2016, 02:57am
Post #9

Settling In

QUOTE (wellfield @ 20th Feb 2016, 06:00pm) *
Hi again zoro....that was the most 'in depth' article I've read so far!....I was a bit younger than him,he taught me some guitar chords and harmonica,he was quite a Lad for sure!...Back in the 60's my mother came back to California after a trip to Scotland,handed me 2 albums with the name 'Karl Denver'..I said "who the hell is he"...she said "It's Gus".....floored me!....thanks again zoro for the info.......Campbell Tuck

My Pleasure Welly... rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 23rd Feb 2016, 11:14am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (wellfield @ 20th Feb 2016, 07:00pm) *

Only thing I know about him apart from Wimowe is that his mother and my mother were drinking partners in the pubs in the old Parli road

+Quote Post
zoro
post 24th Feb 2016, 06:58am
Post #11

Settling In

QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 23rd Feb 2016, 12:22pm) *
Only thing I know about him apart from Wimowe is that his mother and my mother were drinking partners in the pubs in the old Parli road

Jings...Tut.Tut Dave rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 21st Apr 2017, 08:24pm
Post #12

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,677
I had a look for his military service - can't find anything

Raymond Bell

+Quote Post
*B illy Boil*
post 6th May 2017, 09:58am
Post #13

QUOTE (Raymond Bell @ 21st Apr 2017, 08:24pm) *
I had a look for his military service - can't find anything

Raymond Bell

Sir, If you can please help me with advice. My mother Nee. Mary Arthur McKean, Aka. Mary Lee.
was in uniform during WW11. I have pictures of her in A.T.S. uniform and finally in R.A. She was a member of the R.A.A.
until her death. The R.A.A. have made it clear that they will do no enquiry into her service. She was also an A.!. member of the British Legion.
Most of her service was done on A.A. ( Search light battery) Canvey Island.
I still do not know which name she served under as she did revert to her birth fathers name. I.E. McKean.
As I can find no record of her in the usual channels ( I am reluctant to use the National Archives due to frustrating
rabbit holes in the past.) I would be eternally grateful for any advice that would lead me to any outcome in finding her service details.
Thank you for even reading this.
Bill.

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 6th May 2017, 10:31pm
Post #14

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,677
Hi Billy - Can't find anything on her - Canvey Island - presume it was the one south of London - there is another C Island in Ireland - if it's the London one it appears it may have been used by 184 Regiment Royal Artillery which was a mixed unit ie Men - Woman - that's all I can see Don't know if it helps - again Brown Street MOD offices Glasgow should hold records but you'll probably need Regt Number - Date of Birth - Service Details Sorry Raymond

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Jul 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.