Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glaswegians To Get Mickey Mouse Lessons, Charm school for Commonwealth Games
Melody
post 6th Jun 2012, 03:12pm
Post #61

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
We canni help it if aw the rest is are bit slow. laugh.gif Keep up why don't ye. laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 6th Jun 2012, 04:37pm
Post #62

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
QUOTE (wee davy @ 5th Jun 2012, 04:52pm) *
'Charm School fer wegians' - aye right!

I have to admit, I deliberately stayed out of this thread - knowing where it might lead.
As one of the 'guilty party' who oft use wegian parlez, I thought better of it.

Let me make it clear, I do it for no other reason than to provide some light heartedness to somewhat straight laced discussion. Also to 'trigger' dialect which has otherwise remained dormant, since leaving Glasgow in 1969.

I think the child in me, (still) likes to relate to fellow Glawegians. Therefore I will continue to use the language of 'the dunny' and the 'midden', with a genuine pride.

Dae ye get a free Mickey Mouse costume, wie this course?
If so - sign me up NOO!
In fact, I'll even DELIVER IT fur ye's LOL laugh.gif

wee davy

Spot on Davy... totally agree with you. I dont speak in traditional glasgow parlance either in day to day life but I enjoy using it purely to keep up with the lingo and to keep the language going in fact yesterday i emailed my daughter for something and slipped in a couple of auld glasgow words. Hey Maybe ahm driftin back to me childhood!!!! Cheers mate

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
len mollins
post 6th Jun 2012, 07:19pm
Post #63

Unpacking
Member No.: 4,165
hi i notice that this idea came from edinburgh .it brought back memories when i was working in the nhs in england ,one day i was talking to a receptionist in x-ray and not recognising her accent asked her what part of england she came from, the frosty reply was "edinburgh" nuff said.i left glasgow over 40 years ago and am proud to say i still have the glasgow twang and i will not change.

+Quote Post
GG
post 7th Jun 2012, 06:30am
Post #64

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Where's the underlying need for the lessons? According to the results of VisitScotland's own research of the quality of visitors' experience of Glasgow:

85% of visitors were satisfied with their trip to Glasgow City overall and 80% will definitely/probably recommend Glasgow City based on their experiences in the city. 56% of all visitors will definitely/probably revisit Glasgow City in the next 5 years.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 7th Jun 2012, 07:10am
Post #65

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (GG @ 7th Jun 2012, 07:45am) *
Where's the underlying need for the lessons? According to the results of VisitScotland's own research of the quality of visitors' experience of Glasgow:

GG.

Perhaps these visitors only met people who were taught to speak nicely GG ie people employed in the hotel / tourist industry smile.gif
________

--------------------

+Quote Post
zascot
post 7th Jun 2012, 07:34am
Post #66

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
QUOTE (Scotsman @ 6th Jun 2012, 05:26pm) *
Now.... if you were to think about what kind of things visitors to the city actually do get upset and annoyed about does anyone really think it is the Glaswegian accent or a wee bit of patter?? No!! What really annoys tourists and everyone else is the state of the place.... spend that half million quid on cleaning the city centre up and making it more presentable and that will be far better than wasting money on some daft lessons. Outisde the Central Station would be a good place to start!!

Spot on Scotsman.People go to China and don`t understand a word but still enjoy it.

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
*MB*
post 7th Jun 2012, 11:56am
Post #67

What does it tell us about society - what we learn in the home and in school about personal presentation, when we have to send service staff to charm school? Whatever happened to the ready smile, Please and Thank You, How can I help you etc. But most of all a decent standard of dress - i.e. comfortable, conservative uniform, for wait staff. With lack of standard dress in many cafesrestaurants, it's difficult to tell the staff from the patrons. Many years ago, there was a chocolate house in Edinburgh where staff had to present themselves for inspection before going on duty. Straight seams, tidy hair, clean well presented uniform, polished shoes and clean fingernails. I wonder how that would go down today?

+Quote Post
rikkiduncan
post 7th Jun 2012, 12:55pm
Post #68

Visitor
Member No.: 8,661
I lived in Darlington for 3 yrs, and when I talked I slowed down so that folk would understand me, but as you normally get in areas your not from, you get the comedian, this guy (who drank in my local) was trying to rip me up about my accent, he then asked if I couldn't talk the Queens English, so on that point and in front of a full pub, I replied, '' O.K. my friend, lets take a ''Georgie'' a ''Scouser'' a ''Brummie'' a Cockney'' a person from Cornwall, put them around a table and ask them to have a conversation, and I'm sure that they would all have great difficulty in understanding what each other was saying, and they my friend are all English. The pub erupted in cheers, exit comedian.

--------------------
How come I always get the wee leg when the family have Haggis for tea ?

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 7th Jun 2012, 01:19pm
Post #69

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (rikkiduncan @ 7th Jun 2012, 02:10pm) *
I lived in Darlington for 3 yrs, this guy (who drank in my local) was trying to rip me up about my accent, he then asked if I couldn't talk the Queens English

My wife is from that part of England and i've never heard any of the locals speak the queen's English, the only problem i had being understood was when i used words containing more than two syllables.

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 7th Jun 2012, 03:13pm
Post #70

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 7th Jun 2012, 02:34pm) *
My wife is from that part of England and i've never heard any of the locals speak the queen's English, the only problem i had being understood was when i used words containing more than two syllables.

I too lived down south for a few years in Durham city but worked in a wee town called Stanley. I dont have a strong Glasgow accent but my workmates would do a bit of ribbing about my Scottish accent but I got my own back by mimicking their very strong local accent accent It broke the ice and we all had loads of laughs and became the best of pals
________

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 8th Jun 2012, 11:51am
Post #71

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
QUOTE (zascot @ 7th Jun 2012, 08:49am) *
Spot on Scotsman.People go to China and don`t understand a word but still enjoy it.

Thanks zascot.... your spot on yourself!!

Tourists love Glasgow and they love it BECAUSE of the people!!

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 8th Jun 2012, 04:00pm
Post #72

Billy Connolly has done concerts all over the world and no-one has ever had a problem understanding his accent. Why some chinless wonders seem to think visitors to Glasgow wouldnt understand the Glaswegian accent is beyond comprehension.

Also as far as iam aware the TV series Taggart was shown on English ITV regions and dont recall any complaints about viewers not understanding the Glaswegian accent although you do get the occasional idiot making a mockery of the Scottish accent Mattthew Wright to name but one.

+Quote Post
**Old Sailor**
post 8th Jun 2012, 07:27pm
Post #73

QUOTE (droschke7 @ 4th Jun 2012, 02:57am) *
I beg to differ the Glaswegians you are describing are a very small minority who weren't brought up but dragged up by the scruffs of their necks.

I have stated that I am referring to the typical Glasgow residents, regardless of their social class or upbringing. Your remark is worthy of a snob or a heretic on the defensive.

+Quote Post
*Cornishscot64*
post 9th Jun 2012, 02:32am
Post #74

QUOTE (MB @ 7th Jun 2012, 01:11pm) *
What does it tell us about society - what we learn in the home and in school about personal presentation, when we have to send service staff to charm school? Whatever happened to the ready smile, Please and Thank You, How can I help you etc. But most of all a decent standard of dress - i.e. comfortable, conservative uniform, for wait staff. With lack of standard dress in many cafesrestaurants, it's difficult to tell the staff from the patrons. Many years ago, there was a chocolate house in Edinburgh where staff had to present themselves for inspection before going on duty. Straight seams, tidy hair, clean well presented uniform, polished shoes and clean fingernails. I wonder how that would go down today?

As an ex. pat Scot originally from Dumfriesshire/Ayrshire and now living in London, I do not know whether to be "amused" or "offended" by this news story, probably the former more although I appreciate that coming from the mother city capital of Edinburgh the mere suggestion will not be welcomed by a large proportion of their western 2nd city counterparts and be seen more of a "dig" than a truly "practical suggestion" to assist communication come 2014 games time.

I would also add here that my still strong Ayrshire accent quarter or a century on from when I "hit the Carlisle road" as it were (complete with Scots slang and habits I might add) does not cause me too many communication problems down here in the multi-cultural and multi-national smoke of London. Some of you may also find it interesting to learn that I am about to represent my adopted city here at a Team London Ambassador during the 2012 Olympics here, based at a prominent location in Central London and expecting to encounter all nationalities and mother tongue languages - I may even try to speak in 30+ year schoolgirl French to them (which coupled with a Scottish accent is quite hilarious to listen to and not exactly authentic I think).

My background is a working class mining community in a rather isolated country town/social housing setting with an ordinary but sound education at the local Academy/High School - I did, however, learn how to read, write and speak in both the local dialect and the vernacular and univeral Queen's English at school and, as an outsider, have to agree with other views expressed on here already that this trend would appear to be lacking in the same community only 30 years' later if I'm totally honest (I do travel back home to Scotland from time to time still).

Being married to a Cornishman (100% Cornish on both sides as far back as you can go and with their own heavy West Country brogue to go with it) made for an interesting communication barrier when our respective parents and extended family met for the first time - mainly down to speed as much as vocabulary being used by the elder Scottish branch I might add. We managed fine in the end though, as you do when you have to and we have friends from all over the world and other parts of the UK, none of which we recall ever having much of an issue understanding what either of us were saying.

So, on balance, I would say that as long as these "customer service" sessions are voluntary rather than compulsory and pitched correctly at the eventual audience that participates, I can see no problem but people do nevertheless still need to be allowed to be "themselves" at games time as much as possible too, and not some random person non grata from across the Pond I think. As London Ambassador we had to compulsorily endure "customer service" training too led by John Lewis, one of the main London 2012 Olympics sponsors and, to be honest, what they suggested was "common sense" and rather purile and funny to watch (it was film clips followed by brief discussion and lasted a max. of 30 minutes in total). Nothing to be afraid of folks, honest - so just go with the flow and enjoy it if you get the opportunity to attend I would recommend !

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 9th Jun 2012, 08:27am
Post #75

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
I've worked in the service industry and part of the training was about how to speak to the customer and thats as it should be. But to suggest that there needs to be these so called Mickey Mouse lessons I personally find it verging on the insulting. As I said before, surely the interviewers are more than capable of sorting out who is or isn't a suitable candidate for the job available. I speak just like most Glaswegians when I'm with friends and family but if I was going to an interview or to any kind of formal meeting I adjust my speach to suit the situation, just as I would, like most people from or in Glasgow, if stopped in the street by any visitor to our country. Mary

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th Jan 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.