Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

11 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> South Africa, Oscar Pistorius Trial!
tombro
post 10th Dec 2015, 09:39am
Post #136

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
I'm still trying to work out what I said that disturbed the sanctimonius Mr Grieve so much ! Or is it just that I'm a Scots/Aussie and Suid Afrikanners can't stand either !

Tombro tongue.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 10th Dec 2015, 10:23am
Post #137

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (tombro @ 3rd Dec 2015, 11:40am) *
Nice to see that even a rich white in South Africa may finally get his just deserts, although, I'm sure, there will be lots and lots and lots and lots of appeals from this poor, misguided, white man who claims that an intruder got into his bathroom, despite the fact that the door he shot through was the only way in ! South Africa always has had two sets of laws !

Tombro rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

Hi tombro, I read your original post and my reply over again and have highlighted the two main passages that got to me.

You are living in the past thinking a white skin is any protection in SA today.
On reflection I shouldn't have highlighted the part about SA always having two sets of laws.
That has never fallen away. All that happened was that the 'OTHER nudge nudge wink wink' law has changed and now applies to the black members of the government who are now the racists and do get away with everything including murder.

I have nothing against Scots /Aussies as long as they are not drunkards called Mitchell

+Quote Post
wombat
post 10th Dec 2015, 08:13pm
Post #138

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (zascot @ 10th Dec 2015, 05:00am) *
What has that got to do with the people having a better life under communist rule?

no tellin yie laugh.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
wombat
post 11th Dec 2015, 09:17pm
Post #139

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 10th Dec 2015, 11:31am) *
I have nothing against Scots /Aussies as long as they are not drunkards called Mitchell

tongue.gif https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGB-Z3y_8l4 tongue.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 17th Dec 2015, 11:14pm
Post #140

QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 10th Dec 2015, 10:31am) *
Hi tombro, I read your original post and my reply over again and have highlighted the two main passages that got to me.

You are living in the past thinking a white skin is any protection in SA today.
On reflection I shouldn't have highlighted the part about SA always having two sets of laws.
That has never fallen away. All that happened was that the 'OTHER nudge nudge wink wink' law has changed and now applies to the black members of the government who are now the racists and do get away with everything including murder.

That cleared up a few issues for me.!!!

+Quote Post
*Tally Rand*
post 27th Dec 2015, 11:43pm
Post #141

QUOTE (Betsy2009 @ 7th Dec 2015, 09:42am) *
Doesn't surprise me too much. I've read that people were better off in Russia under communism in that almost everyone had a job/home and no-one went hungry. Sometimes an orderly life is easier to get on with than great freedom which leaves people floundering.

" If you want total security then go to prison. There you will be fed, clothed given medical attention and so on..... The only thing lacking is freedom"
Dwight. D. Eisenhower.

+Quote Post
zascot
post 28th Dec 2015, 08:00am
Post #142

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
QUOTE (Tally Rand @ 28th Dec 2015, 12:51am) *
" If you want total security then go to prison. There you will be fed, clothed given medical attention and so on..... The only thing lacking is freedom"
Dwight. D. Eisenhower.

And he was an authority on what?

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 18th Apr 2016, 05:51pm
Post #143

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
Aye, and there is no cushy life in prison, particularly in South Africa.

We now have to wait until July for the new sentencing - do David and Zascot have any notion as to what that's likely to be?

The justice system is a lot different in SA that's why I wondered, I'd imagine he will be sentenced to life or at least a very lengthy term.

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
*Tally Rand*
post 26th Apr 2016, 01:39pm
Post #144

QUOTE (zascot @ 28th Dec 2015, 08:00am) *
And he was an authority on what?

Quite a lot, actually. Eisenhower: supreme allied commander WW11. Architect of the "D DAY" landings and of the liberation of Nazi occupied Europe and President of the U.S.A. foreseeing the recovery of that nation and Europe after the carnage visited on the world by Fascist and their fellow travellers.

+Quote Post
GG
post 15th May 2016, 08:19pm
Post #145

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Nelson Mandela: CIA tip-off led to 1962 Durban arrest

Nelson Mandela's arrest in 1962 came as a result of a tip-off from an agent of the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), a report says.

The revelations, made in the Sunday Times newspaper, are based on an interview with ex-CIA agent Donald Rickard shortly before he died.

Mr Mandela served 27 years in jail for resisting white minority rule before being released in 1990.

He was subsequently elected as South Africa's first black president.
The interview appears to confirm long-held suspicions that Mr Mandela was being trailed by the CIA, says the BBC's Karen Allen in Johannesburg.

It is expected to put pressure on the CIA to release documents about its involvement in Mr Mandela's arrest and support for the apartheid government, although it has resisted previous calls for their disclosure. [...]

Full story here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-36296551

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 15th May 2016, 09:00pm
Post #146

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (GG @ 15th May 2016, 10:19pm) *

An old story over here Martin

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 5th Sep 2019, 12:43pm
Post #147

Mega City Key Holder
Its finally happening, a day I hoped never to see. My eldest has decided its time to leave the country as she and her husband think this time there's no way back from the violence griping the country.
My son in-law runs his own business and employs forty staff. What will happen to them I dont know but in Africa its estimated each employed persons income looks after ten people.
They are moving to Scotland a move that took me by suprise, I thought Maderia or Portugal but they think their kids will have better prosects there.
My youngest is looking at Canada.
If that happens my families time in Africa will come to an end after more than Two hundred years here.
Like most parents I thought they would grow old here and be surrounded by their grandkids.
The anarchists have won.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 5th Sep 2019, 02:29pm
Post #148

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Dave, that must be difficult for you. We're not getting the sort of news coverage here that this story deserves. Brexit is all consuming so things like mass shooting in the USA and businesses in SA getting attacked get relegated to a quick mention at the end of a bulletin. I did read a report at the weekend about the recent trouble and the denials that there were racial motives for the attacks.

I guess our generation was less into the concept of social mobility but, like not having jobs for life, families moving around the world for different experiences seems pretty normal now. I appreciate that won't make it easier for you when they go. As for them heading to Scotland, I got a timely reminder recently that this is not such a bad place. We had a large group of friends staying with us for a couple of weeks, children and adults. They came from several countries abroad as well as Ireland and London. There was a bit of sightseeing but, generally, they were just doing the kind of stuff that families do which included being subjected to the less pleasing aspects of Glesga behaviour. They loved it here despite that, so much so that two of the older children want to come back here to study.

Having said that, I love Portugal and especially Madeira. We've been there quite a lot over the last 10 years or so. Much as I enjoy the visits, I'm always glad to get back home.

Good luck to them wherever they end up.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
carmella
post 5th Sep 2019, 04:10pm
Post #149

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
Dave I feel for you because I know how much South Africa means to you, I am so sorry for your news and sad that your family will be separated from you.

Times are changing all over the world. I hope you can cope well with this which I am sure you will, but with sadness!

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
taurus
post 5th Sep 2019, 09:27pm
Post #150

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
my dearly loved daughter and her (english ) husband and our 3 adored grandchildren went to live and thrive in England 26 years ago,breaking our hearts. We couldn`t understand it having brought our kids to Australia for a better life when she was just 1 year old. They enjoyed the lifestyle,still do ,so close to the Continent,never out of work (good jobs too). She tried a return to Sydney a couple of times for work,didn`t like the work ethic in the jobs she had,and scurried away back to england,but now Brexit is chasing them back here very soon. the thing with kids,is ,we only get a lend of them,once they`re their own person,we just watch and wait,same as I did to my poor mother when I broke her heart 58 years ago.the only upside was,the 3 grand children returned here when adults .Life !! what`s the alternative.

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th Jan 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.