Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

16 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> City Centre Police Get Taser Stun Guns, New scheme to protect officers and public
GG
post 29th Jan 2010, 10:29pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Police officers patrolling the increasingly violent streets of Glasgow city centre are to be issued with controversial Taser stun guns from 1st April this year. The move is part of a pilot scheme by Strathclyde Police to evaluate the use of the weapons, which deliver a 50,000-volt electric shock via two projected metal hooks, to immobilise suspected offenders and prevent officers being assaulted.

The introduction of the 1000 stun guns for a trial period follows revelations that more than 4000 officers per year are assaulted in the line of duty in Strathclyde. Strathclyde Police Chief Superintendent Bob Hamilton said that the weapons were a safer alternative to batons and CS spray when trying to diffuse volatile situations.

Superintendent Hamilton added:
"The primary reason behind it is for increased protection for officers, the public and the people we deal with. Previously, Tasers were used as a less lethal option for firearms teams. But we feel they can be used where officers or members of the public are facing violent situations to control the people responsible."

Tasers have been criticised by international human rights' bodies, which claim that the stun gun has been responsible for the deaths of hundreds of people in the United States over the years. Oliver Sprague of Amnesty International said:

"Of course the police have a duty to protect themselves and the community at large from violent situations, but arming more officers with dangerous weapons without the rigorous training and necessary safeguards could well be a recipe for disaster. Widespread and routine deployments can lead to tasers being misused, as we have seen in the US, which has on some occasions led to death. We don't want to repeat this in UK policing."

Previously only specially trained firearms' officers have been authorised to use Tasers, which have been deployed Strathclyde officers 29 times since their introduction in 2005. From April, however, three officers per shift will carry Tasers. The pilot scheme will be evaluated after six months, and if successful, the stun guns will be introduced across the entire Strathclyde force.

Attached Image

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
**Peter Harte**
post 29th Jan 2010, 11:48pm
Post #2

Yes i think Glasgow police should use taser`s,but only if the police are well trained in the use of them.I left Glasgow in 63 and some of the police then I wouldn't trust them with anything. I would like to think they would be better trained now. Over here in Ontario some of the police are are so slight of build they can hardly lift their sidearms so they need the extra protection.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 30th Jan 2010, 12:04am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
I live in a Land where every police officer, as well as his neighbouring country colleagues, carry automatics on their hip belts.
When I came here at first I thought I wouldn't be too happy with armed police and even after having looked down three muzzles, one a machine pistol, brandished by police officers ... complete misunderstandings in all cases; honest, and a fourth with a border guard down the road from us, I'm glad that none of them were carrying Tasers, because with the exception of the border guard, the other officers would have used them on each occasion; the way things looked in the first few seconds on each occasion they couldn't have been blamed.
But I voted, Yes.
If the cops can't get carrying guns in the UK, or Scotland, then they need to be better armed than with a club and a pepper spray.
It would be hoped that they had more than a few seconds to think before getting wired in .

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 30th Jan 2010, 12:25am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
I voted yes, the police should have much more protection for themselves and others over there, and for the ones who dont want to be tasered>>>>>dont commit any crime.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 30th Jan 2010, 12:45am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (glasgow lass @ 30th Jan 2010, 01:23am) *
I voted yes, the police should have much more protection for themselves and others over there, and for the ones who dont want to be tasered>>>>>dont commit any crime.

... and dont be caught lookin' like you've been committing a crime. biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
stratson
post 30th Jan 2010, 12:59am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
I think it's time the police had control of the streets, if this is what has to be, so be it.

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
Catarina
post 30th Jan 2010, 01:48am
Post #7

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,071
In Canada, the use of Taser guns has created much controversy on their use....Probably the worse case scenario was their improper use on a man who couldn't speak a word of English...

He landed in Vancouver,and apparently wandered from one place to another for about 8hrs. Finally frustration caused him to act rather strangely,and the Cops were called..

I think there were 4 or 5 of them...Instead of trying to calm the man, maybe in offering him a glass of water,even a chair to sit in showing their concern in a way he could get the message, they came with tasers firing... End of story, the man died. Many other cases where tasers were used,people have suffered heart attacks.

I believe tasers have their place,however extreme caution must be taken in their use.

If Police Officers depend solely on their use to avoid physical contact,which is part of their job,then tragedies will occur. I voted ...yes.....the boys in blue do deserve the best of protection, just don't get carried away with this very dangerous device.

+Quote Post
Catarina
post 30th Jan 2010, 01:50am
Post #8

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,071
Sorry, I should have mentioned that he spent 8hrs at the Vancouver airport, where the police were called.... Of course their version of the story was very different from the pictures that were taken by a bystander.

+Quote Post
*Lisa Limey*
post 30th Jan 2010, 01:56am
Post #9

The previous poster - stratson - got it right in that this shocking move -- without any public consultation, because we don't count -- is designed to ensure the police have CONTROL of the streets. However this move is not designed to deter criminals -- they will go about their murderous business as usual without any worries of being caught by an ineffective police authority. Instead this measure is designed to CONTROL the forthcoming civil unrest that will see those made unemployed by bankers greed take to the streets in protest at their lost lives. This is ALL about CONTROLLING legitimate dissent and protest.

In the meantime the streets of Glasgow will still be the most murderous and violent in western Europe.

Have a look at this video and think about what is being said. Look at the violence inflicted and think what the TASER really means on the streets of Glasgow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dik-mgCDcg

Or what about this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bVa6jn4rpE

Listen to the screams of the young boy who was only trying to make a political point, but was pounced on by official thugs.

Lisa.

+Quote Post
weebren3
post 30th Jan 2010, 03:54am
Post #10

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,440
unsure.gif well they have tested this in canada and it has caused some deaths. I feel the police are never sure what they are up against, but then there is always more than one together,or one police will back the other no matter if they were wrong in there actions,then there are people who dont care, I would say guns and drugs are the biggest problem,or in the case of mental problems. I do hope if the police will use good judgment, if they have time to act on that.We are all human, so if it was my son or daughter on either side,they should be well trained and not use it for abuse. I guess there is A long list of reasons of when that action should be taken, not always good enough.A human beings life is at risk. I do hope there is A lot of thought into this use and carefull plan. Dont break the law some mothers heart would be broken. Take Care and value your life.

+Quote Post
weebren3
post 30th Jan 2010, 04:31am
Post #11

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,440
I had A look at that vidio,of the taser being used on the young man at kerrys speach. Ha in the US look how many police they had around too, it is totaly wrong, and the one with the lady, while her kids were in the car and saw it all one police officer, she was lucky he did not take his gun out, thats the norm for the US, all for the camara for all to see. Makes me angry hope he got booted out of the police force. There is always some abuse when they have A badge, it dont give them the right thats why we have A judge and court to deal with the law. Makes me angry, sorry I just hope when they test them in glasgow they are better trained.

+Quote Post
mack48
post 30th Jan 2010, 04:47am
Post #12

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,699
To receive news like this at 4am was shocking(no pun intended).I always watch the Police in USA programs of reality TV,& have seen what these Taser guns do to people,(REGARDLESS OF WHY THE DECISION TO USE THEM IS DECIDED,Which comes down to singular Police officers equipped with them,has been terrible.I am hitting 50 years old. & not broken laws in 31/32 Years.(Which were minor traffic violations).But after watching US officers call out to Freeze! & perpetrators in broken laws like stealing cars etc ,& panicking,making them run,a reaction that even a chocolate bar theif can get.Then to be hooked by 2 wires fired JUST LIKE A DEADLY GUN,that puts them on ground unable to move.(ok,it stops a chase! But aren't our police meant to be fit enough to chase until caught? Therefore,crooks that tasers are used on,could have heart problems,Even pacemakers going to extreme.& suddenly 50,000 volts are jolted into them? Are officers who get to carry these terrible tasers going to take responsibility if their taser action causes a death? I refer to 30+ years ago whilst setting up my electric guitar & Amp for a practice night in a band,& uk voltage of 240v,but wires were stretched in the main ug,& my strings became live,I couldn't move or speak,& was so rigid with 240v I fell like a straight up statue over a table,with guitar stuck to both hands.& quick thinking by my brother who played bass in the band made him kicked the guitar from my touch,in effect,saving my life!! When others thought I was joking around!! I had 6 lines from the strings on one hand,& 4 lines on other hand,burnt into me badly.& I was shaking bad for around 45 minutes.So I imagine say,an opportunist theif who grabs a handbag etc.& police are nearby & warnings of STOP are ignored in panic.& he/she may have angina,of other related problems that 50,000volts would kill!! By what I've seen on reality tv police do not shout out that a taser with 50k volts are going to be fired at them.No,they just release the coils & hooks & I've stated some consequences.If Tasers are being allowed,why not go the full hog & provide hand guns too!! This is an absolutely terrible decision to give police this power.Guns were always a No Go except special forces facing terrorists etc,but beat & car patrols etc should not be given these highly dangerous items.There are too many stories of officers being put off the force due to a court case showing bad treatment etc.Let guns & tasers & more stay in the other side of the world,is my opinion!!

+Quote Post
cocotkd
post 30th Jan 2010, 05:39am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,561
a lethal peace,put in the hands of police in glasgow oh what fun they will have with these, it will be like an arcade shooting gallery in the streets of glasgow. the police here are to afraid of youth today but i don't think they should be giving these weapons, every police officer should take a course on martial arts until they are black belt level then put on the streets where they would be able to handle a situation much easier. but the police in glasgow will use first and ask questions later and i think the public know this. some poor guy will come out of the pub drunk stagger down the road next minute he'll be told to stop and refuse then BANG tazered. the police get to protect themselves with these, what about victims of crime can we go buy these, no chance so why should they be aloud to get them because after all they don't protect the public, the victim is in hospital before they come and say what happened to you. another thing that bothers me i am diabetic and i could take a hypo at any time and taking a hypo can make you do silly things you don't know you are doing for example i could be walking the streets in my bare feet and no top on and not have a clue i am doing it,next minute i,m getting tazered because i,m doing something out of the ordinary and the police wont approach me to say whats wrong they will stand back and zap 50,000 volts.

all the best people enjoy the debate this is only my opinion

+Quote Post
Rob Rattray
post 30th Jan 2010, 05:54am
Post #14

Visitor
Member No.: 7,864
Can't actually see the necessity for weapons, but as 1st April has been mentioned for the 'trial' release, can't see that eventuating anyhow!
If it does creep in, it will only prove how modern policing needs to hide behind the alleged 'protection' of firearms when we, the public, are told of their [firearms] illegality!

--------------------
God Bless
Rob

"SUPER SIDERA VOTUM”

+Quote Post
**amclpreston**
post 30th Jan 2010, 05:57am
Post #15

I'm very much not in favour of increasing the abiliities of police to commit violence by remote control.

+Quote Post

16 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.