Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Good Luck Glasgow Games, Commonwealth Games 'good news' topic!
Norman G
post 23rd Jul 2014, 10:59pm
Post #31

Settling In
Member No.: 9,304
Just watched opening ceremony.
Started off a bit cheesy but well done to all who took part.
Great to see no segregation between abled body and disabled athletes.
Good luck to everyone and enjoy the best city in the world.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
magsos
post 23rd Jul 2014, 11:39pm
Post #32

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,052
Good luck to our great city of Glasgow from Melbourne..

+Quote Post
loftypeak
post 23rd Jul 2014, 11:42pm
Post #33

Unpacking
Member No.: 4,858
Good luck Glasgow, and all of Scotland. Wish I could have been there.

+Quote Post
*big jock 153*
post 24th Jul 2014, 12:05am
Post #34

A wonderful show from Glasgow , I always knew Glasgow can florish and put on a show befitting to the occasion ..Fantastic Glasgow were proud of you Edinbururgh must have been bealing as we had 27c and they were at 15c ..what a games there going to be.!!!!

+Quote Post
NeilCarroll
post 24th Jul 2014, 12:13am
Post #35

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,319
Best of luck to everybody over there (exiled in Vancouver)

+Quote Post
Tricia281
post 24th Jul 2014, 12:17am
Post #36

Special Visitor
Member No.: 12,345
Just watching the opening ceremonies and CBC and Glasgow looking great! Dynamic, different and able to laugh at themselves!! Gaun yerself Glasgow!

+Quote Post
JimC
post 24th Jul 2014, 12:20am
Post #37

Lord Provost
Member No.: 7,530
Just watched the opening ceremonies on television over here in Ontario Canada and have to say they did a grand job. It was such a pleasure to see such a diverse and multi culture of athletes with a common goal of winning for their country, congratulations Glasgow.

Watching the ceremonies I have to say it was so refreshing to see a programe produced by the BBC where the Commentators, Judges, Hosts and overall Personell were Scottish and had Scottish accents, so overwhelming to see a show by the BBC where on the opening podeum consisting of an array of guests, the only background flag was the Saltire being waved proudly and having The Big Yin honouring the Multi Culturism of the games themselves I believe just made the evening.

I would love to believe it but do I sense an atmosphere of change and independence in Scotland itself? my fingers are crossed.

lastly I have to say, although I don`t normally, but the queen of England didn`t do too bad a job herself in opening the Games, as far as I can recall, its been a while since she has been in Glasgow, Here`s to Wisdom in the months to come and All The Best in the years to come. Well Done Glasgow, proud to have come from your wee town.

All The Very Best.
JimC

--------------------
The most important thing in communication
is to hear what isn`t being said

+Quote Post
vascot
post 24th Jul 2014, 12:56am
Post #38

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,876
thumbup.gif Good Luck Glasgow and to all the athletes and volunteers....

+Quote Post
Stevie3
post 24th Jul 2014, 01:29am
Post #39

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,029
Just watched the opening ceremony here on Australian TV fANTASTIC
Proud of ye Glasgow GO Scotland

Stevie3

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 24th Jul 2014, 06:50am
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
Cringy start but wonderful show.!

Well done to all the volunteers, these kids danced non stop for 2 hours .!

Glasgow did us proud, the people did Glasgow proud.

Shame on members on here who used The Games to try to score political points.!

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
**Barbara**
post 24th Jul 2014, 07:00am
Post #41

Good luck to everyone competing at the games. thoroughly enjoyed the opening spectacle.

Barbara Rohloff, New Zealand.

+Quote Post
GG
post 24th Jul 2014, 07:01am
Post #42

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
GG
post 24th Jul 2014, 07:01am
Post #43

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Glasgow 2014: Commonwealth Games begin at Celtic Park

Tartan-clad performers, spinning oversized Tunnock's tea cakes and a giant kilt were among the highlights at a feel-good Commonwealth Games 2014 opening ceremony on Wednesday night.

The Queen officially opened the games before a 40,000-strong crowd in Glasgow's Celtic Park with millions more expected to watch on television.

Thousands of athletes from 71 nations and territories took part.

They entered the stadium after the live show, which had a cast of around 2,000.

The Queen declared the Games open by reading her own message from inside the Commonwealth baton.

TV viewing figures across the UK peaked at 9.42m with an average of 7.6m viewers watching the ceremony. That compared to a peak of 27.3m for the London 2012 Olympic opening ceremony.

Adventurer Mark Beaumont landed on the city's river Clyde in a seaplane carrying the baton to Celtic Park, having tracked its progress across the Commonwealth on a 288-day journey spanning almost 120,000 miles.

Inside the stadium, the baton was transferred between a group of volunteers who have helped children around Scotland find their potential through sport.

Sir Chris Hoy carried it on its final stage to Commonwealth Games Federation president Prince Imran of Malaysia, who struggled briefly to open the container and remove the message to hand to the Queen. ...

Full story and videos of the opening ceremony here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-28440453

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
carmella
post 24th Jul 2014, 07:16am
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
Good luck to Glasgow for hosting the games, and all the effort they've put iin overall.

I'm not a fan of sport in general, so won't be watching anything, but I did watch most of the cringeworthy opening ceremony depicting, yet again, the old Scottish, shortbread tin images of what foreigners think Scotland is all about - I loathed it.

The only thing I liked was Sir Chris Hoy, such a nice guy, Rod Stewart, Billy Connolly and the wee Scotty Dugs, not because they were Scotties so much, just because I love wee dugs, and they were as cute as they come, well trained too.

I didn't think it was the proper occasion to have an appeal on behalf of UNICEF, not that I didn't agree with the sentiments in any way, just not the right occasion.

I noticed a comment from yet another poster who hasn't been taking part in the debates, saying something along the lines of us soon being free of England - sorry but comments like that I find, embarrassing and stupid, in the context of this thread.

If you want to say that - go and say it on the Scottish Independence thread.

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]

+Quote Post
Ocallaghan
post 24th Jul 2014, 07:16am
Post #45

Settling In
Member No.: 7,134
QUOTE (GG @ 23rd Jul 2014, 05:05pm) *
It's a very big day for Glasgow today when, after seven years of waiting, the Commonwealth Games finally get underway in the city with the opening ceremony at Celtic Park this evening. The weather is absolutely fantastic today, and over 100,000 people from all around the world are expected to join hundreds of thousand of eager Glaswegians

More than 4,500 athletes will compete in 17 sporting events over the next 11 days. From athletics at Hampden Park to rugby at Ibrox, from the triathlon at Strathclyde Park to the swimming at Tollcross, the hopes of 71 nations and territories will play out on the track, across the streets and in the water of a city with a rich sporting history.

There has been quite a bit of controversy surrounding the Games, however, I'd like to start this topic so that we can wish Glasgow 2014 the very best as we seek to showcase all our proud city has to offer to a global audience.

If you'd like to say 'Good Luck Glasgow 2014'. please do so by posting a reply below.

GG.

Good luck Glasgow and well done with the opening ceremony it was amazing x

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th Dec 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.