Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

19 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Red Road Flats Demolished For Sport, Sad, sick and embarrassing for Glasgow
Dylan
post 4th Apr 2014, 09:24am
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
It reminds me of something out of The Simpsons. !

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Macas1954*
post 4th Apr 2014, 09:26am
Post #32

It is bloody disgraceful putting this forward as a centre attraction for these sports events what HAS this got to do with sport. The amount of people who have died that helped to build these horrible flats through asbestos (mostly some kind of CANCER) only a an idiot sitting in a wee office with nothing better to do than think this will be great, have they asked the people who stayed there, NO AND I HAVE A GOOD IDEA THAT EVEN THEY WILL BE DISGUSTED AS WELL.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 4th Apr 2014, 09:35am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
When I heard this on the News last night, I thought it was a joke, I sat there waiting for the punch line.

A group of wee lassies doing the Highland Fling in the street, would be more entertaining that watching those flats being demolished as part of the opening ceremony.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 4th Apr 2014, 09:35am
Post #34

QUOTE (GG @ 4th Apr 2014, 07:10am) *
Update: Please sign the online petition here to have this stopped.

GG.

Please keep signing everyone. We have 1000+ signatures already!

+Quote Post
Mathieson
post 4th Apr 2014, 10:15am
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,207
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 4th Apr 2014, 09:56am) *
What I would like to know,what I would pay money to know is WHAT is the name of the person who put up this proposal in the first place.Let that person show him/herself and we the citizens of Glasgow will know who is responsible for bringing ridicule on this great city and who has single handedly turned the whole Commonwealth Games scenario into a farce.
After the Olympics and the soccer World Cup the Commonwealth Games is censored.png the biggest worldwide sports event and this is the best they can come up with.Proprietary stops me using stronger language.

See post #18 from Pumps100 above for the name of the genius in question, mate. No doubt this lady will be "earning" an obscene amount of money for capers like this.

No wonder large areas of Glasgow are a right bloody mess when much-needed money is squandered in paying eye-watering amounts to clowns to come up with garbage like this.

--------------------
Three cheers for the Red, White and Blue !

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 4th Apr 2014, 10:24am
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
QUOTE (Guest @ 4th Apr 2014, 10:52am) *
Please keep signing everyone. We have 1000+ signatures already!

Signed.

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
ktv
post 4th Apr 2014, 10:25am
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,730
QUOTE (GG @ 4th Apr 2014, 07:32am) *
Sent by BillyK via the report button:

GG.

All the asbestos has been removed from the flats.

Still a disgrace though.

+Quote Post
Maribo
post 4th Apr 2014, 11:01am
Post #38

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,486
Thought of another reason why this shouldn't be done, other than it is a disgusting idea. Many people who will be watching throughout the world could be traumatised, as the last time buildings came down on public TV was 9/11. Surely this can't be allowed to happen.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 4th Apr 2014, 11:05am
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
I'm utterly disgusted at how low GCC could stoop. I'll be honest, when I first heard this I wondered if this was GCC's April Fool, not for a second did I think they were serious about this.

It's a disgrace that they would even put this forward for consideration, given its awful history. Men died prematurely because of asbestos, from working and building these, and I agree with William McIlvanney totally.

Oh please don't let them profit from this. I have signed the online petition - hopefully, it will go some way to showing disgust.

I have never lived in anything higher than two storeys but I have often wondered what it would be like to live in a high rise flat, and I just can't imagine it.

The only thing good about high rise in my opinion regardless of where they are, is the obvious view you must get from them.

I believe the views from the Red Road flats was fantastic - but people still had to live there. I am so angered about all of this. Watching a BBC interview with absolutely excited and elated Council Member of Glasgow City, made me sick to my stomach - they think they're doing a wonderful thing, what plant do these people live on?

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]

+Quote Post
*Lobey Dosser*
post 4th Apr 2014, 11:07am
Post #40

This angers and disgusts me on so many levels that I am not sure where to start. But lets be very clear here what the pinstripe ponces who run George Square are doing here, they are sticking two fingers up at ordinary Glaswegians and saying "HA-HA to youse" because we've destroyed 60,000 social houses in the city in the last 20 years and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Such nasty crassness is to be expected from these muppets but now they are so confident that they will get away with it that they think they can do anything, all the time rubbing the noses of ordinary people in the dirt. In the latest batch of ethnic cleansing of white working classes focused on the East End of Glasgow the council has destroyed 11,000 GHA homes, letting private developers step in to create 6,500 private properties with sky-high rents and then built just 500 social housing properties. Net loss to the people: 10,500 homes.

+Quote Post
ktv
post 4th Apr 2014, 11:09am
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,730
And not to mention all the locals who cant afford to go to the opening ceremony wont even be able to watch it in the house now as theyl all be evacuated.

+Quote Post
*Guest - MurdoR*
post 4th Apr 2014, 01:31pm
Post #42

As the last Chairman of the Red Road Tenants' Association, I don't think I'll ever forgive Glasgow City Council and the Glasgow Housing Association for the way they stigmatised tenants living in tower during the Stock Transfer process.

The transfer process masked the so-called Multi-Story Review process with many tenants unaware they were being mobilised to pressure others out of their homes.

In the early nineties, enormous sums were spent to improve these flats, and introduce a Concierge system that was, on the whole, enormously successful.. They could have become a model for public housing.

The flats were used, at short notice, to house refugees from the wars in the former Yugoslavia and later from other conflicts. These were a massive improvement on the conditions that Chilean refugees were forced to live in the seventies and eighties. They were structurally the most sound buildings in the city and were designed so that their use could be amended. They would have addressed the need for one-bedroom accommodation that places people undergoing the Housing Benefit cuts that the so-called Bedroom Tax now affects

But for politicians and planners desperate to manufacture new media images of Glasgow they have to come down. It is appropriate that they will be inked to the Commonwealth Games because they show the city's rulers are more interested in media constructed stunts while ignoring the real needs of the citizens.

+Quote Post
exglaswegian
post 4th Apr 2014, 02:22pm
Post #43

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,408
The first thing my wife said on seeing this on the news was that all it would do would look like and remind people of the twin towers terrorist attack. I just don't see this as being an appropriate spectacle to open the games.

+Quote Post
macjackb
post 4th Apr 2014, 02:46pm
Post #44

Unpacking
Member No.: 25,860
As someone has already said, I thought when I first read this that I was just a bit late catching up with some of the April Fool stories. I really hoped that the Games would at best be an incredibly expensive way of bringing about small, lasting, sustainable and realistic improvements to a part of town that's become scarred by emptiness, facelessness and general population cleansing. The worst I expected was that they would pass off fairly peacefully without any feelings of real shame and embarrassment. How wrong I was.

No one on here needs reminding of the problems associated with these flats, and I don't disagree. But they were a creature of their times. They were what was at the time regarded as one pf the principle solutions to an urgent need. After my Dad helped to build them, my grandparents were among the first tenants on one of the thirtieth storeys, and as with many such housing solutions that eventually went wrong, enjoyed living there with the neighbours around them. The fact that they became so synonymous with negativity as the years progressed says as much about how society itself changed as it does about the flats themselves. To me, the point is that they were built, for all their faults, for reasons of good. The last Tenants Association chairman has written about the force for good that they became for people fleeing from harm elsewhere. Their time may now be up, but their story should be included with that of the city. To see that history mocked and insulted like this is an act of shame that could have been concocted only by minds bordering on misanthropic, and certainly so clueless about what they city is about that they should be nowhere near positions of power.

+Quote Post
angel
post 4th Apr 2014, 03:13pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
Is the " Glasgow City Council / Funny Farm " charging for this grand event .

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post

19 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Aug 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.