Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

19 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Red Road Flats Demolished For Sport, Sad, sick and embarrassing for Glasgow
Mathieson
post 4th Apr 2014, 06:55am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,207
Hugely, hugely embarrassing for the city and for Scotland as a whole. Whoever thought this crass stunt up should be thrown from the roof of one of the buildings.

Any past efforts to improve the image of the city will surely be in ruins if this crackpot idea goes ahead.

--------------------
Three cheers for the Red, White and Blue !
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
snarler63
post 4th Apr 2014, 07:17am
Post #17

Lord Provost
Member No.: 25,943
It really is becoming time that we make our public officials fully accountable. An immediate inquiry should be made to identify whatever graduate from the University of Bollocks came up with this piece of nonsense and they should be given an hour to clear out their desk, and bus fare to the local job centre.

Surely no-one in their right mind could suggest exploding buildings with asbestos in their matrix and depending what way the wind is blowing contaminating God only knows how big an area.

Or is it that they are trying to cure any homesickness being felt by asylum seekers from Beirut and parts of Syria etc. by letting them live somewhere that looks like home.

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 4th Apr 2014, 07:24am
Post #18

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,333
When I read about this I thought it was a late April Fools' joke. It is totally crazy.

Glasgow City Council should be ashamed of themselves. It is like something you'd expect to see being discussed in something like the BBC's comedy shows 20/20 or W1A. They need to take a step back and take some reality pills.

I understand the 'champion' for the crazy idea is Eileen Gallagher who is an independent director for the games. So that I won't be accused of lacking detail, I better give her full title:

"Eileen Gallagher - Independent Director Glasgow 2014 Board and Chair of the Ceremonies, Culture and Queen’s Baton Relay Committee"

I think the title says it all. Totally mad and hair-brained.

Regards

Ian

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 4th Apr 2014, 07:26am
Post #19

Glasgow council should hang their heads in shame...

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 4th Apr 2014, 07:37am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
I also thought it was an April Fool joke.

How crass , how embarrassing .!

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
**carabella**
post 4th Apr 2014, 07:43am
Post #21

I heard this last night on Scotland tonight, couldn't believe it ! What a sick depraved idea ! We have to stop this going ahead.Surely there are other ideas that Glasgow City Council could come up with as an opening ceremony. There are a lot of people going to be watching their past being demolished on worldwide TV. They will think it's a terrorist attack !like the twin towers and probably think that Glasgow people are completely off their trolley!! Glasgow city council should be ashamed of themselves for this totally ludicrous idea.

+Quote Post
*Gordon MacNiven*
post 4th Apr 2014, 07:44am
Post #22

My old mum lived in such a high rise at Knightswood. It was a miserable place, several stories up and should have been demolished. My last visit there 25 years ago was depressing. Her balcony was home to thousands of squealing pigeons which had turned the balcony into a guano cave. I tried to bring her to Australia but the then Labor Govt. wouldn't allow her in because she wasn't Asian. Nevertheless, turning the demolition into a rich man's circus seems to be what governments of all stripes do when they need to create massive sports arenas.

+Quote Post
greta
post 4th Apr 2014, 07:46am
Post #23

Settling In
Member No.: 6,565
Crazy idea, not surprised where it came from, am surprised that even they thought of it.

+Quote Post
Lochlassie
post 4th Apr 2014, 07:57am
Post #24

Unpacking
Member No.: 10,497
I was in Dundee last summer when they demolished the flats in Hilltown, I was at Morrisons off Forfar road, probably about 2 miles from the site. I stepped outside and the dust and grit and smell was just horrendous. Everyone got covered in it, the cars in the carpark were covered in it. This was the aftermath of just two blocks being imploded.

I am embarrassed at the government's decision to use this as a gimmick at what should be Scotlands proudest day this year.

I fully agree they need to be demolished as they are not a petty sight as they stand just now but why oh why would anyone suggest it be done in this fashion.

I spent a lot of my childhood in the flats as my gran lived there and I find this disrespectful.

+Quote Post
Melody
post 4th Apr 2014, 08:04am
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
My response to this news was WHAT!!!!! angry.gif I just don't know what to make of it. Other than the fools have taken over the asylum. A bit like the UK Government..

+Quote Post
Maribo
post 4th Apr 2014, 08:16am
Post #26

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,486
I've always been proud to be a Glaswegian, but I think I'll be keeping my head down from now on. Don't they realise this will be seen all over the world? It must be the worst idea they have ever had. OK they have to come down, and it will save them spending money on entertainment, but why not just show scenes of the Scottish Highlands, I'm sure that would be much more entertaining and a lot cheaper.

+Quote Post
gardenqueen
post 4th Apr 2014, 08:18am
Post #27

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,280
I have signed the petition. Although I haven't lived in Glasgow for many years, I fail to see the connection between these "events". A bit of dignity, please.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 4th Apr 2014, 08:22am
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
I doubt there is any asbestos in these buildings as they have long since been stripped out to a bare shell.

Notwithstanding that, I am at a loss to understand how these two events could logically be put together. Who in their right mind would think that anyone outside Glasgow would have any interest in the demolition of the Red Road flats, or that the event is in any way a cause for celebration.

I keep thinking the council has run out of ways to embarrass us, and they keep proving me wrong.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 4th Apr 2014, 08:37am
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
Shameful.... absolutely shameful!! Do these people have no shame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ_saFL4d-g

How can this be allowed to happen increased 5 times??

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 4th Apr 2014, 08:39am
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
What I would like to know,what I would pay money to know is WHAT is the name of the person who put up this proposal in the first place.Let that person show him/herself and we the citizens of Glasgow will know who is responsible for bringing ridicule on this great city and who has single handedly turned the whole Commonwealth Games scenario into a farce.
After the Olympics and the soccer World Cup the Commonwealth Games is censored.png the biggest worldwide sports event and this is the best they can come up with.Proprietary stops me using stronger language.

+Quote Post

19 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.