Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

41 Pages V  « < 39 40 41  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Statues To Be Moved From George Square, All historical figures to be relocated
GG
post 23rd Jan 2013, 07:04pm
Post #601

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
And finally for the moment, an architect's reply to the above comment:
At the time of the 'miles better' and 'city of culture' campaigns some (but far from all) of the city centre streetscape was overhauled, with prominent use of fine Caithness flags and Brazilian granite setts. There has been considerable wear and tear, with flags left damaged and broken by vehicles and cack-handed 'restoration' of areas after excavation. No sign of reasonable care in maintenance.

Some of the central streets - let alone the spectacularly sleazy back alleys - were never given the 'treatment'.

More recently large advertising panels have been installed on many pavements, obstructing pedestrian movement and creating hazards for the disabled, blind and infirm.

Meanwhile the city council has been led by people who've proved themselves devoid of integrity.

'All fur coat and no knickers' could be a fit description - and it's a rat-eaten fur coat.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 27th Jan 2013, 09:05am
Post #602

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
From today's Herald:-

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/pol...-whole-project-

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 27th Jan 2013, 10:17am
Post #603

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 27th Jan 2013, 09:22am) *

Now this is more believable than his "I've listened to the people of Glasgow" spiel.

His choice came fourth, so he threw a strop, picked the ball up stamped his feet and stormed off shouting "the games a bogey, it's ma ba' youze urny playin'".

Like i said, far more believable.

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 27th Jan 2013, 12:47pm
Post #604

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
Two independent council sources? Sounds like moves are afoot to oust him, and if the stories are true quiet right too. Add the dalliance in the park and i'm wondering why he's still a Councillor never mind leader.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 27th Jan 2013, 06:39pm
Post #605

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
The item in the Herald,(unfortunately unconfirmed sources) puts the whole George Square situation into a very different light.Is it really possible that one man proposed the change,organised a world wide competition which when concluded was over ruled by him on the grounds that it was against the publics wishes or as is suggested it was not his choice of regeneration plans that were picked?
In this instance I really wish the "sources" would man up and come out into the open and let the public know exactly what is happening otherwise this whole saga will fester on.
No matter what occurred public money was used to finance this fiasco which drew public opprobrium right from the outset so why did one man wait till the 24th hour to pull the plug?
The truth needs to be got at.

+Quote Post
Rab
post 27th Jan 2013, 07:20pm
Post #606

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,266
Elequently put as usual Jupiter, but this just goes to show once more that we can rarely believe anything we read in the papers. That is why I treat it all with a very cynical eye, as usually, the truth will out - eventually.

Whatever, the sooner this Matheson is out, the better - or are the rest as bad?.

--------------------
Back to using my original name... Rab

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 28th Jan 2013, 12:35pm
Post #607

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
So he didnae really listen to the people but just listened to his own ego talking to him. What kind of crazy mixed-up stuff is going on in City Chambers. The city is being made a laughing stock by this sorry mess and nobody seems to be able to stop it. Politicians ignoring pollsters and the public and then ignoring the experts they brought in in the first place. And now we are back at square one and the councillors are busy fighting among themselves.

Agree with you Jupiter and Rab.... the truth needs to be got at and if Matheson wont let that happen then he has to go. Time for the other councillors to stand up and be counted and not hide behind journalists!!

+Quote Post
GG
post 28th Jan 2013, 09:31pm
Post #608

Administrator
Group Icon
The 'winning' architect met the public today to discuss how his company's plans can go ahead. John McAslan met more than 30 people who turned out this afternoon to make sure their opinions on the scrapped redevelopment plan for the civic space were heard. He said:

"I am here because I think it is important that architects are seen as people who listen and who engage. We are prepared to engage and we want to try and rescue something from this process," said John.

I would like to see something happen. I am from Glasgow, I was born in Glasgow, all of my family is from Glasgow and my great-grandfather wrote the history of Glasgow in 1920 so it is in my blood.

To me you wouldn’t get a better commission than George Square because it is where I am from.

It is all very personal. It is not about money, it is about trying to do what you think is the right thing and because of my upbringing I have got a stickler when I think processes aren’t followed. Politicians are known for wriggling around.

I would like to meet Gordon Matheson. It is good to meet somebody who you can engage with and have two people who share two very strong views about something.

He will have a strong view and I will have a strong view but I can honestly see a positive outcome.

I think that the reason it was dropped was because he [Councillor Matheson] didn’t get the scheme that he wanted to win. He was part of the process that selected the winner and I think you have to honour that.

You had really good firms entering and his actions undermine the process. But I would like to think that we can draw a line under it. We are in the second stage which is to engage.

We have had this meeting which has been great and people turned up and we will get the social media thing going. We will develop ideas, have public meetings, talk about it and by the time we meet Councillor Matheson have a plan.

It’s all about communications and you can communicate an idea slightly differently. What we have done is two tiny little shifts, one is more greenery by turning off the water and the second a slightly less linear approach by turning down the limestone, that’s graphics."

Full story here:
http://local.stv.tv/glasgow/magazine/21176...s-can-go-ahead/

Revised plan attached.

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 28th Jan 2013, 09:59pm
Post #609

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
With all due respect to Mr McAslan's sincerity - grit and determination - his 'alternative' submission, appears to be missing some (if not ALL)the odd statue here and there!
(Unless their hiding in the woods wie the kids frae Narnia)

Yep - this appears to have a LONG way to run.

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
GG
post 30th Jan 2013, 11:42pm
Post #610

Administrator
Group Icon
Many thanks to all who posted in this topic – one of the most popular ever in the 'News' forum. The people of Glasgow most certainly made their voices heard here. Thank you.

I am closing this topic because the debate has now moved on. The statues have been saved, but much work is still to be done to ensure that George Square itself can be saved.

Your posts, along with the thousands of other voices which made themselves heard across the web, helped contribute to the vigorous debate about the statues in George Square. thumbup.gif

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post

41 Pages V  « < 39 40 41
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Jun 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.