Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glaswegians To Get Mickey Mouse Lessons, Charm school for Commonwealth Games
farci
post 4th Jun 2012, 02:01pm
Post #31

Visitor
Member No.: 5,346
QUOTE (*Old Sailor* @ 4th Jun 2012, 12:58am) *
This has nothing to do with accent! Accents are tolerable in all countries when the provider's usage of language goes beyond two syllables and the conjugation of the verb is placed properly. The language that is predominant in the typical Glaswegian is a guttural comedic drone and is not pleasant to listeners.

Old Sailor has got it right. The announcement about customer service training is a godsend to those who indulge in the 'we wuz robbed' widespread wingeing amongst Glaswegians and other big city Scots. I'm sure there would be a similar outcry in Liverpool or Newcastle.

The fact is that many of us are not good at eye contact, listening etc and low on self-esteem. It's all very well for Janey Godley and other luvvies whose careers are built on their ability to project themselves to pooh-pooh this idea but if it opens the door for the rest of us to communicate mor effectively - where's the harm?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rumcdonald
post 4th Jun 2012, 02:55pm
Post #32

Resident
Member No.: 7,818
I see the funny side of this. It's not a bad idea, and some people might need it more than others..ha ha. I must admit I don't like when people "write" with a broad Glasgow accent. Even I can't make out what they mean sometimes, and I'm FROM Glasgow.

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 4th Jun 2012, 02:59pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
I was raised in a housing scheme (Ruchazie) All our neighbours were working class folks like our selves.We had a Glasgow accent ,however it did not include,breed,naw,canny,waz, hoose ,I think you get the picture.

Last visit home I was blown away with the slang I was hearing in the city. Its sad really because Glasgow folks are friendly folks ,but many of the young ones have been brought up listing to all this slang and don't know any better.

Perhaps a few lessons at the primary level in school would help.Maybe a refresher at high school.You can have a nice Glasgow accent and still speak proper English.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
angel
post 4th Jun 2012, 03:17pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
Hi Isobel , when I recently spent that very pleasant afternoon with Anne1 and Heather in glasgow , I understood every word that they said , laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
rumcdonald
post 4th Jun 2012, 03:23pm
Post #35

Resident
QUOTE (Isobel @ 4th Jun 2012, 11:14am) *
I was raised in a housing scheme (Ruchazie) All our neighbours were working class folks like our selves.We had a Glasgow accent ,however it did not include,breed,naw,canny,waz, hoose ,I think you get the picture.

Last visit home I was blown away with the slang I was hearing in the city. Its sad really because Glasgow folks are friendly folks ,but many of the young ones have been brought up listing to all this slang and don't know any better.

Perhaps a few lessons at the primary level in school would help.Maybe a refresher at high school.You can have a nice Glasgow accent and still speak proper English.

Well said Isobel.

+Quote Post
rumcdonald
post 4th Jun 2012, 03:39pm
Post #36

Resident
I live in Canada now but when I was in a Glasgow park a few years ago, a little Indian girl dressed in a sari, who was catching minnows in a jar, came over to me, and with a very broad Glasgow accent said "Dae ye waaant tae see ma fish Misses?" It was quite endearing, because she looked like a tiny Indian princess. We still laugh at this today. I go home to Glasgow often because I will always love the place.

+Quote Post
cowcaddens kid
post 4th Jun 2012, 03:44pm
Post #37

Visitor
Member No.: 7,915
Its a liberty telling the former european city of culture / Garden festival city that it needs lessons in more picturesque speech.
the though that this smart idea came from Embra the city of" ken this ken that and ken the next thing "makes this Weggie laugh.
I worked out of Edinburgh for 20 years and have had long term exposure to their dialect and attitude.
Ps remember Billy Connolly and his stint about americans "have a nice day " "you have a beautiful home here" culture
smacks of that
welcome to Skatland . Hope you have a nice day------away and biell yer heid pal. and to quote a certain royal princess Sod off and give us some peace.

rant over.

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 4th Jun 2012, 03:54pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
QUOTE (droschke7 @ 4th Jun 2012, 02:01pm) *
Not sure how old you are but most of us over 50 can remember the belt, I had it worse I went to a Military boarding school in Dunblane (secondary school) they had the belt the can the slipper drill time & cleansing duties. (Queen Victoria School Dunblane)

Thats not what I said D7. I said I had never heard of anyone being belted for "speaking in broad scots" Last week i posted a lengthy response to my experiences of getting strapped on a cold wintry morning by a sadistic bully of a teacher. I attended a pretty rough glasgow school where being belted was a regular daily event.
Thanks for responding though

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
benny
post 4th Jun 2012, 04:35pm
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
QUOTE (Isobel @ 4th Jun 2012, 05:14pm) *
I was raised in a housing scheme (Ruchazie) All our neighbours were working class folks like our selves.We had a Glasgow accent ,however it did not include,breed,naw,canny,waz, hoose ,I think you get the picture. . . . .

I too lived in Ruchazie as a wean, and my speech certainly did include words like breid, naw, canny, hoose, etc. - just like the speech of the other children I played with.
I wish people - and Glaswegians in particular - would lose this idea that such speech is "slang", or a mark of social or intellectual inferiority. It is nothing of the kind, but just another form of regional differences - and long may they continue.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 4th Jun 2012, 05:20pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
QUOTE (Isobel @ 4th Jun 2012, 04:14pm) *

Well said Isobel thumbup.gif

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 4th Jun 2012, 05:56pm
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
Yes Isobel we can all speak with a nice Glasgswegian accent but as I was born and bred in Glasgow Scotland why should I speak proper English. I speak English with a Glaswegian accent and anyone who doesn't like it can lump it and that includes the superior eejits in Edinburgh. Mary

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 4th Jun 2012, 06:05pm
Post #42

So many of you are missing the point. This isn't just about word choice or accent. It's about image. And there's nothing at all wrong with seeking improvement.

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 4th Jun 2012, 06:33pm
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Your so right guest. thumbup.gif

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 4th Jun 2012, 06:43pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
There is the Glasgow accent and patois, and then there is Ned talk. Two of them are different.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
angel
post 4th Jun 2012, 07:03pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
QUOTE (Guest @ 4th Jun 2012, 06:20pm) *
So many of you are missing the point. This isn't just about word choice or accent. It's about image. And there's nothing at all wrong with seeking improvement.

Tourism is a world wide market , and if Scotland does'nt come up to the standards that are expected by tourists's , who pay big money to visit , then Scotland will have failed as a tourist destination , and lets face it , the weather is'nt a plus .
Also as Guest has stated nothing wrong with improvment , whether that be volcabulary plus attitude , and service , it is an on going job in todays tourist Market , if you do'nt keep up with the other tourist destinations , you fail.

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.