Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scotland Gets 50p-per-unit Alcohol Price, Minimum unit pricing of alcohol from next year
*john fegan*
post 14th May 2012, 08:51am
Post #16

I don't know if the minimum pricing will work but I do know it is a measure that must be tried. The only opposition to it is the opposition parties. Police, medical services and alcohol abuse organisations all agree that it must be tried. Other countries including England and Wales are trying a form of the same.

The Scottish Government have been consistent in saying it cannot be a stand alone policy and other measures must run parallel. That is correct.

A big play is made of the moderate drinker being hit hard, well as a moderate drinker I say the opposite. The very fact that I drink moderately means that any extra I pay will be ....well...moderate.

It is the heavy drinkers who will feel it in the pocket, it is the budding drinkers who will feel it in their pocket. These are the targets and if some inroads can be made here, especially within the younger element then it will have been successful. If not then other measures will be tried.

We live in a society where in some parts of this city people are afraid to leave their homes for fear of the groups of mostly young people who gather and drink, they are afraid of alcohol induced attack. So to sit on our hands and do nothing is not on, and anyone who advocates this is contributing to the problem. mad.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 14th May 2012, 08:56am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
This will have no impact on the problem of alcohol abuse because nothing is being done to tackle the root cause. The effect will be exactly the same as the previous, ludicrous law introduced by this government, we are denied deals being in the same stores in the rest of Britain (although we can get them by ordering on line) and I can't go shopping before 10am if I am buying any alcohol. Totally and utterly pointless.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
Heather
post 14th May 2012, 09:04am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I don't think it will make any difference to Alcoholics as they will always find the money, it's their families who will suffer with less money for food and clothing.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
**BOB**
post 14th May 2012, 09:33am
Post #19

This will only hit people like myself who like a whisky or two and as a pensioner put it out of my reach.
But the young ones will still manage to get the money to buy drink.
This will not stop it.

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 14th May 2012, 09:40am
Post #20

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,333
Jennifer Trueland wrote a detailed article in the Caledonian Mercury in January this year concerning Minimum Alcohol Pricing as part of an overall alcohol strategy.

It is really worth reading the whole article. Professor Timothy Stockwell of the University of Victoria in British Columbia at the Centre of addiction studies has advised the governments in both Scotland and England.

But here is Jennifer Trueland on why the alcohol industry does not want minimum pricing:-
This is why the alcohol industry – much of it at any rate – is against minimum pricing. What they don’t want is a clear governmental message that their product can be harmful – and who can blame them, as that’s how they make their money? And they have a good point in many cases – minimum pricing would have no actual effect on top-of-the-range malts, for example, because they already cost more per unit than even the wildest dreams of the pricing advocates. But the message that sends out – that alcohol can cause harm – could cause sales to take a hit.

What’s more, if Scotland pushes ahead with this, then she certainly won’t be alone. Other parts of the UK are already signalling pretty strongly that they are likely to follow suit, such as Northern Ireland (a fellow nation with an alcohol problem). Look at what happened with the ban on smoking in public places. Once a couple of jurisdictions introduced it, then much of the rest of the world followed like a set of dominoes.

Alcohol is different to smoking, of course – drinking in moderation can even confer health benefits, unlike the evil weed. So it’s understandable that the alcohol industry does not want to be (low) tarred with the same brush.

Link to full article which is well worth reading:

http://caledonianmercury.com/2012/01/10/co...alcohol/0027064

Regards

Ian

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 14th May 2012, 10:01am
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
I don't think it will make much difference. Like everything else, if they really want something they'll find the money somewhere. And as Heather says, sadly its usually the families of the drinker who suffer most. I think education from a young age is the way to go and introducing small amounts of alcohol, say some watered down wine with a meals, as they have done in Europe for centuries is 1 wat to go. We are told from a young age that we can't drink alcohol until we're 18, then once we reach 18 and think we know it all, its too late to try to teach moderation. Mary

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 14th May 2012, 10:21am
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
Brilliant news. Anyone who picks booze over food for their weans should not only have them removed but be put in jail. Higher prices in the 'offies' and supermarkets will help the pubs, people stopped going due to low supermarket prices, now those will be higher they might as well go to the pub.

(off topic)
Anyway is it just me or does anyone else think that a Health spokesperson (shadow or otherwise) should actually look like a healthy person, not someone who loses the fight with a plate of pies every night.Maybe it's a Glasgow thing because some Glasgow council gym employees look like they've never used the facilities themselves.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
*annemarie_m*
post 14th May 2012, 10:30am
Post #23

I hope they feel this will help out very young kids from drinking. A lot of kids have drink within the house.

Everyone in front of you at the supermarket buys alcohol. A wee bread and anything else? but beer, wine and any alcohol on offer from the supermarket.

A lot of people are drinking at home, its cheaper than going out to a pub. Maybe not drinking at home but going out maybe once a month would be good for them. No drinking with children around.

+Quote Post
Plain Jane
post 14th May 2012, 12:15pm
Post #24

Unpacking
Member No.: 10,684
Good for Nichola Sturgeon - never mind all the selfish moaners. What about all the hardship and unhappiness drink can cause - all the kids downing copious amounts of alcohol and maybe in later years wasting their lives and the lives of others and having liver damaged into the bargain - this is what it's all about - not whether all our rights are being interfered with or whether we can't afford the extra - drink a bit less and face up to life as it is, not through a happy haze! .... and by the way, I too enjoy a wee glass of wine excl.gif

+Quote Post
aussiejimmy
post 14th May 2012, 12:41pm
Post #25

Settling In
Member No.: 12,691
Over here in Aussie (Victoria) pubs and Clubs are strictly monitored re serving alcohol to patrons who have had too much. This appears to have had some affect as the law is heavily enforced and proprieters dont want to lose their businesses. Aussies drink as much if not more than Glasgow patrons. Sounds like the corner shops need strict scrutiny as this is where our kids start drinking, the vicious circle. If the corner shops are not regulated then the problem persists and Joe Blow foots the bill for the cleanup which can last for years a lot of mazoola. Dont get me wrong I drink and learned to do so in my home town Glasgow but age gives sensability and moderation keeps me reasonably sharp.

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 14th May 2012, 12:48pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
Has anyone worked out if this new law will effect the price of a bottle of Buckie? Thats the drink of choice round here for the kids out on the randan.... so unless that has its price hiked sky-high then theres not going to be much difference here in the East End!!

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 14th May 2012, 12:51pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
The Licensing Scotland Act makes it an offence to be in,enter or attempt to enter licensed premises whilst under the influence but whether it is enforced is a different matter.I dont frequent pubs but when I did it was a rare sight indeed to see Police officers come in and I only think they do so when they are summoned.The new law as far as Im concerned is the proverbial sledgehammer to crack a nut scenario.
Scotsman how much was Buckie the last time you bought it?
rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 14th May 2012, 12:59pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
Hauf a shillin!! smile.gif

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 14th May 2012, 02:50pm
Post #29

Super City Key Holder
QUOTE (Scotsman @ 14th May 2012, 01:46pm) *
Has anyone worked out if this new law will effect the price of a bottle of Buckie? Thats the drink of choice round here for the kids out on the randan.... so unless that has its price hiked sky-high then theres not going to be much difference here in the East End!!

Unfortunately, the ASBO's drink of choice in Scotland, Buckfast would not be affected by minimum alcohol pricing even at 50p per unit. The alcohol content is 15% so a 75 cl bottle would have 11.25 units of alcohol. At 50p a unit it would cost 5.62 under minimum pricing. As I believe it already sells for about 6-7 minimum pricing would have no effect.

Down in England we are blighted by cider - particularly the white variety (Frosty Jacks, White Star). The market leader was White Lightening but Heineken dumped it as they did not want to be associated with it.

White Cider has been compared to heroin for alcoholics. Alcohol Concern carried out a study of white cider and street drinkers - you need a strong constitution to read the report - it is simply shocking. Supermarkets should be ashamed of themselves for selling such stuff.

http://www.alcoholconcern.org.uk/publicati...street-drinkers

Regards

Ian

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 14th May 2012, 03:28pm
Post #30

Super City Key Holder
QUOTE (droschke7 @ 14th May 2012, 02:00am) *
My Local Off Sales charge 4:50 for 4 cans of Tennants and 5 for a bottle of wine what exactly is the 50p unit limit supposed to do? Do these people even go to an off sales?

The above is a good example. Under minimum alcohol pricing even at 50p a unit there would be absolutely no effect on this carry-out. The prices would be exactly the same.

4 cans of Tennents assuming 440ml cans and 4% alcohol. This is a total of 7.04 units of alcohol. 7.04 X 50p = 3.52. You are already paying 4.50 so no change or effect.

1 bottle of wine 75 cl and assuming 13% alcohol. This is 9.75 units @50p = 4.87. You are already paying 5 so no change or effect.

It is not until you do the sums you see that minimum alcohol pricing makes sense as it targets cheap ciders, superlagers, & unbranded spirits.

For Norrie, Bob and others who have commented it will not effect your wee drams of whisky at home, or the cost of drink in the pub. Unless, of course some of you are partial to the likes of Frosty Jack's white cider - currently 3.15 will get you a 3 litre bottle containing 22.5 units of alcohol - almost a man's weekly recommended amount of units in one handy bottle. But I very seriously doubt whether anyone on this Board would be doing that!

Regards

Ian

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th Jun 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.