Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nurses Face Sack Over Parking Fines, Get-tough policy from health board
GG
post 25th Mar 2012, 01:28pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Glasgow nurses could now face the sack for parking without permits at the hospitals where they work. The dismissal threat comes after bosses at NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde said that they would take tough measures against nurses who do not pay £40 parking fines issued for their vehicles on hospital premises where they are working.

The news was delivered in an uncompromising staff memo, in which the health board – Scotland's ­biggest – said that they intend to escalate action against nurses who refuse to pay hospital parking fines.

The NHSGGC memo said:
"We will no longer be imposing fines on staff breaching the ­policy. Action will be taken by line managers and may include use of the disciplinary policy and ­procedure."

The Glasgow hospitals affected include Gartnavel Royal and General, the Southern General, the Royal ­Hospital for Sick Children, Stobhill, ­Victoria Infirmary and Western Infirmary.

Most nursing staff do not receive parking permits and are forced to leave patients every four hours and pay exhorbitant parking fees into coin-operated meters, including those facilities owned by private companies.

Even those staff lucky enough to get a permit for parking still face huge costs at some hospitals. Last November, nurses at the Royal Infirmary staged a protest over a 113% increase in fees. The cost of a "14-exit" monthly permit for Royal Infirmary car park had risen from £42 to £89.50.

Speaking about the sacking threat, a nurses' leader said:
"It looks as though nurses will be sacked if they continue to defy this unfair system."

Attached Image

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 25th Mar 2012, 01:59pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Lets face it we hear of issues every day,we get uptight and put our thoughts down here but I have to say having read this makes me want to throw up.This has been festering for a while and I think it is time the Government stepped in and got it resolved.Why should nursing professionals have the worry about expired parking tickets when they are dealing with life/death situations.
Is it beyond the government and the NHS to sort this?
This threat of disciplinary action is just so ludicrous.It is a civil matter between the NHS and the non payer of the fine and certainly not a work related matter.
I want to hear from Ms Sturgeon tomorrow.

+Quote Post
stratson
post 25th Mar 2012, 02:17pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Yes jupiter, am with you on this matter. Time Scottish Health Minister ie. NICOLA STURGEON GOT HER FINGER OUT.!!!

All the promises made for Independant Scotland, let's get some action now.
Perhaps then you can prove to our nation it really can work.

Have never understood how this paying for hospital parking(particularly for staff on duty) ever happened, angry.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
margie
post 25th Mar 2012, 02:59pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,901
In Full agreement with you Stratson. This is absolutely absurd. These nurses are under enough pressure without worrying about parking their cars.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 25th Mar 2012, 03:30pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
As I have a few Nurse's in the family, I am angry that they are expected to pay for parking in the Hospitals they work in.
They have an early start when on an early shift, and a late finish when on a back shift.

Who ever it was decided to make Nurse's pay for this parking should be ashamed of themselves.

I am well aware that other people have to pay for parking when going to work, but Nurse's and Doctors provided a service we could not survive without.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
andyguinness
post 25th Mar 2012, 03:33pm
Post #6

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,467
This is just another type of going private, it is now common to place physio on contracts, when it ends, the waiting list is extended, or days of access are limited as i found out.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 25th Mar 2012, 03:40pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Ms Stugeon enquiry as Health Minister at scottish.ministers@scotland.gsi.gov.uk

+Quote Post
Harrymc
post 25th Mar 2012, 03:44pm
Post #8

Special Visitor
Member No.: 5,658
Is this how a modern society shows it's appreciation for the caring profession?We are constantly told how much the nurses are valued,particularly when a politician,of whatever persuasion,senses an opportunity to score some brownie points.They are among the lowest paid employees in the NHS and are being milked for more of their hard earned cash for the priviledge of parking at their place of work.What a disgrace!Paper shufflers and Heads of useless quangos cost the NHS a fortune and we can't afford to provide adequate parking for the most important people who care for us?
It's time Sturgeon and her like started to take some meaningful action!!!

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 25th Mar 2012, 04:25pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,183
Even on sheer logistics -- how much will it cost to train a replacement nurse? It would be a whole lot cheaper to sack the ass who dreamt up this proposal.

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 25th Mar 2012, 04:34pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
I thought hospital parking was free, i attend Crosshouse hospital in Kilmarnock at least once a week and have never paid to park, the same when i visit the R.A.H In Paisley, or is it up to individual hospitals whether they charge or not?

+Quote Post
chas1937
post 25th Mar 2012, 04:45pm
Post #11

Special Visitor
Member No.: 10,795
If all the major Supermarkets and places like Makro and Costco can provide free parking then it should be the same with hospitals.Every nurse and other employee should get a pass for free parking especially as more and more Hospitals are using Private companies now too build new spaces which they do for profit

+Quote Post
Mrs L
post 25th Mar 2012, 05:31pm
Post #12

Visitor
Member No.: 7,894
QUOTE (Alex MacPhee @ 25th Mar 2012, 08:30am) *
Even on sheer logistics -- how much will it cost to train a replacement nurse? It would be a whole lot cheaper to sack the ass who dreamt up this proposal.

Well said Alex!

+Quote Post
Martas
post 25th Mar 2012, 06:31pm
Post #13

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,312
QUOTE (Heather @ 25th Mar 2012, 03:35pm) *
As I have a few Nurse's in the family, I am angry that they are expected to pay for parking in the Hospitals they work in.
They have an early start when on an early shift, and a late finish when on a back shift.

Who ever it was decided to make Nurse's pay for this parking should be ashamed of themselves.

I am well aware that other people have to pay for parking when going to work, but Nurse's and Doctors provided a service we could not survive without.

I agree with you, Heather, as I had to have a blood transfusion overnight and the Nurse who was attending to me was very attemtive and friendly to me, even though she was tired.
People would suffer without Nurses to look after them.
That would include those who were deciding to make Nurses pay for parking.

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 25th Mar 2012, 07:14pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
Parking in hospitals is free except for workers/patients at the Royal infirmary. It was Labour who introduced the parking charges(not fines) and the SNP who stopped them, unfortunately the car park facilities at the Royal are privately funded so unless they buy them out at the cost of millions charges are there to stay. My wife is a nurse and told me of this memo last week, apparently there are few nurses who pay the charges if they dont move their car every 4 hours. I doubt very much that any nurse will face discinplinary action because quite simply the union will not stand for it, irrespective of the fact parking has nothing to do with their role as nurses.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 25th Mar 2012, 08:02pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
This is all highly emotive stuff - however, I do know many staff (doctors or nurses) who park innapropriately, are subject to fines at most hospitals in England & Wales. And so they should be.

For example, there are red line areas at my local hospital, where ALL are liable to fines for ignoring them. The lines are there for good reason very good reason SO THAT EMERGENCY VEHICLES HAVE UNHINDERED access!

Nurses are only human, and are just as capable of being inconsiderate as the next person. It really gets up my nose when they are elevated to god like status.

Having said all that - in the unlikely event anybody is ever brought before a tribunal for parking misdemeanors - they'll pretty swiftly be supported.

My statement bears NO relationship to the admiration and esteem I have personally for ALL members of the medical fraternity, no exceptions.

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.