Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bringing Home The Bacon In Byres Road, Customers resort to nicking cheap meat
amclpreston
post 30th Sep 2011, 10:49am
Post #16

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,716
The poll...

If someone is stealing to feed their kids, I have no problem with that.

Tesco make squillions in profit, their workers are hardly paid a kings ransom, and the shareholder are rewarded handsomely.

I noticed on the poll, that 2/3rds said that stealing food to feed your children is unacceptable. Perhaps they are ones still with jobs, and they are .... all right Jack.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 30th Sep 2011, 11:09am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,183
QUOTE (*bette* @ 30th Sep 2011, 10:36am) *
Morrisons are the height of customer care.

Not in my book, I'm afraid. They handled our complaint very badly, and as a result, we stopped buying from them. It won't be enough to damage their annual profits, but as a result of the poor response to a customer complaint, they've lost around 20,000 of our custom in the years since then, which Sainsbury's gained.

Others, I'm sure, will have a different experience, but ours was not good.

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 30th Sep 2011, 11:10am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
There is one big drawback when stealing from a shop such as Tesco or any other supermarket.You are liable to get caught,arrested and taken to court.So what happens to the kids when their mum is taken away by the Police.Ill tell you.If a relative cannot be found quickly the social work dept become involved and they take the kids.Now is that worth all the hassle?
Forget the profits and shareholders.Supermarkets are businesses there to provide a service and make a profit and if a person takes their property they normally take proceedings as far as they can whether its a 2 pack of bacon or a 30 bottle of whisky.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 30th Sep 2011, 11:11am
Post #19

Perhaps Springburn Tesco should have security guards on the front door to make sure that only locals get access and not these hooligans from across the city intent on thieving.

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 30th Sep 2011, 11:12am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (amclpreston @ 30th Sep 2011, 12:35pm) *
I noticed on the poll, that 2/3rds said that stealing food to feed your children is unacceptable. Perhaps they are ones still with jobs, and they are .... all right Jack.

Are you prepared to be repeatedly robbed and burgled by someone who gives a plausible explanation for choosing you as his victim?

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
**bert millers son**
post 30th Sep 2011, 11:13am
Post #21

I blame the tourists.... first they are throwing their fags in the streets.... and now they are nicking our streaky bacon!! Next they'll be getting bevvied and shouting the odds at Old Firm matches!!

Ban them!!

+Quote Post
0141black
post 30th Sep 2011, 11:15am
Post #22

Visitor
Member No.: 11,825
Of course, the fact that the local Tesco manager chooses to do this might not bear much relation to the size of the problem.

And that fact that other Tesco managers choose not to do it...etc

--------------------
website - facebook - (please "like) - twitter - @glasgownoir

+Quote Post
stratson
post 30th Sep 2011, 11:30am
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
One of the local Govanhill girls way back in the late 50's or early 60's married and she and hubby duly bought villa in Newton Mearns.
This may sound off topic...It's not.
Afew of us visited each other and had dinner. When we went to said persons home we were given a !Spam Sandwich.
She could not afford shopping due to mortgage!

Perhaps those would be "Byres Road shoppers are in similiar position.

No excuse for theft.

Mind you if my kids were hungry no telling what level would stoop to put a bit of food in their mouths.
My priority after roof over your head is proper nutritional food. unsure.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 30th Sep 2011, 11:31am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
QUOTE (*greta* @ 30th Sep 2011, 11:10am) *

Well said, greta

However its probably more accurate to say, youve never KNOWINGLY stolen anything LOL) if you were given change of a tenner, instead of a fiver, on the high street - would you go all the way back into town, pay the parking charge, and offer the difference back to the retailer???

I too find it very difficult to sympathise with the 'big boys' at this time - they're xmas's have all come at once, with the present austerity climate.

I saw somewhere, they're putting tags on big bars of chocolate - I can see a lot of gloomy female faces out there laugh.gif

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 30th Sep 2011, 11:34am
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
No excuse for theft.

Mind you if my kids were hungry no telling what level would stoop to put a bit of food in their mouths.

classic, stratson smile.gif wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex MacPhee
post 30th Sep 2011, 11:58am
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Perhaps supermarkets could have a special counter with the sign 'Free food, poor people only'.

--------------------
Alex

+Quote Post
*MM*
post 30th Sep 2011, 11:59am
Post #27

In the recession of the late 1970/early 80s we moved to be near husband's work. Living in a rented flat while trying to pay mortgage on our old flat which didn't sell until about 18 months later was now easy. Worse off, couple off years later when we tried to get back into the housing market. Older cottage flat that needing re-wiring. Then the rates went up. Husband walked to work as we couldn't afford petrol. Really had to eke out our money as unfortunately earning just over the benefit line. Never crossed my mind to steal food or anything else for that matter. We just made do.

Came across a photo some 20 years later, of me from then and showed it to some of my colleagues. Younger ones liked my ripped denims. Hadn't the heart to tell them that wasn't the fashion, they were truly worn out. LOL

PS Why you would want to steal in this day and age. Its not the 19th century. There is help out there if you get down off your high horse and look for it.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 30th Sep 2011, 12:01pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (wee davy @ 30th Sep 2011, 12:17pm) *
... if you were given change of a tenner, instead of a fiver, on the high street - would you go all the way back into town ... and offer the difference back to the retailer???

Davy, in an other existence ... my wife who had walked all the way into town to pay the weekly newspaper bill, discovered as she almost reached home on the way back, that the newsagent had given her tuppence too much in her change (it had taken her that long to work it out rolleyes.gif ) and went all the way back into town to return the 2d.
"Here's the man with the most honest wife in town", was my greeting on the Monday morn as I collected my paper on my way to work, amid howls of laughter; since almost everyone who knew her knew also that she was the most noted liar in town. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 30th Sep 2011, 12:35pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Alex MacPhee @ 30th Sep 2011, 12:44pm) *
Perhaps supermarkets could have a special counter with the sign 'Free food, poor people only'.

Thats around the back, Alex.
ts called a SKIP!

--------------------

+Quote Post
thunder badger
post 30th Sep 2011, 12:44pm
Post #30

Unpacking
Member No.: 11,412
The poll never mentioned anything about feeding kids on my screen, but it wouldn't change my answer. I was raised to be honest & my parents always managed to put food on the table, maybe cos my dad grew loads of veg in his garden. He'd often swap surplus for somebody else's chicken or pork, maybe these 'poor' people could get an allotment?

Times may be hard at the moment, but as someone with an interest in history, I know for a fact that we've still got it easy compared to our parents & grand-parents. I don't have any sympathy for thieves, especially those stealing to prop up their middle-class mortgage. The phrase 'fur coat an' nae knickers' comes to mind.

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Aug 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.