Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

13 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Accent Sounds Most Stupid, Researchers claim untainted snobbery
GG
post 1st Aug 2011, 09:58pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Academic researchers from King's College London (KCL) have concluded that the Glasgow accent is one of the stupidest sounding accents in the UK. The researchers say that they have identified an "untainted snobbery" where owners of a Glaswegian accent are wrongly judged to be less capable because of their accents.

The findings indicate an enduring class prejudice where speakers with a 'posh' accent consistently look down on Glaswegians, rating people with a Glasgow accent lowest for traits like intelligence, competence, confidence and leadership.

Dr Julia Snell, a sociolinguistics lecturer, who led the latest research, said:
"While everyone judges people according to their speech these perceptions were usually based on social prejudices. What we find is that when people evaluate how we are speaking these are social, rather than linguistic, judgements."

The KCL academics also found similar negative associations with the Birmigham accent.

Attached Image

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Glasgow Girl
post 1st Aug 2011, 10:31pm
Post #2

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,419
Never heard anything so ridiculous and I've never had a negative response to my Glaswegian accent. ohmy.gif

--------------------
Triumph is temporary, glory is eternal.

+Quote Post
benny
post 1st Aug 2011, 10:46pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
The problem is that there's nae such thing as "a Glasgow accent", really. There are Glasgow accents, rangin all the way frae panloaf Kelvinside tae gutter Govan, wi numerous shades in between. (Sorry, Govanites, nae offence intended. Jist a bitta alliteration. biggrin.gif )

Some Glesga accents approximate merr tae Standard English than others, so it's quite possible that some are greater objects of prejudice than others.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
Glasgow Girl
post 1st Aug 2011, 10:56pm
Post #4

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,419
I'm a born and bred Govanite myself benny smile.gif

--------------------
Triumph is temporary, glory is eternal.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 1st Aug 2011, 11:21pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (GG @ 1st Aug 2011, 10:44pm) *
The KCL academics also found similar negative associations with the Birmigham accent.

GG.

I voted yes ... but the only instance was in fact in Brumijum. rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
**elaine24**
post 1st Aug 2011, 11:22pm
Post #6

My husband, an edcuated highly experienced airline Captain, was told by his Chief Pilot that his Glagow accent may come accross as aggressive on the PA! (public address tannoy)

+Quote Post
farci
post 1st Aug 2011, 11:23pm
Post #7

Visitor
Member No.: 5,346
I'll see your Glesca accent and raise you a Brummie, GG. Selective quoting of the research may make for a bit fun but is hardly fair - or should that be 'ferr'?

The good Dr Snell also had a go at RP - or old-fashioned BBC - accents and was making a serious point about different accents being increasingly judged as right or wrong rather than just different.

It's only a few years ago that call centre operators sold the idea of Glasgow as a location based on research that
43 percent of respondents judged speakers of (Scottish) accents as likely to be successful; 40 percent found them hardworking and reliable
while trashing Scousers and Cockneys.

Those call centres came here and Glaswegians proved that they could talk clearly when it mattered. Just smile at the prejudices which probably result from knowledge of wir superior life style and kulchur biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
*wee don*
post 1st Aug 2011, 11:34pm
Post #8

As ex radio operator with Royal Artillery I was always the chosen op because of the accent as most of the English accents were too varied.

regards Wee Don.

+Quote Post
grannymo
post 1st Aug 2011, 11:39pm
Post #9

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,007
If you have what it takes to win and get on in life, you will do it no matter the accent. Look at Duncan Bannatyne or Anita Manning - never off the telly.

PS seen this?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-12398366

+Quote Post
Marje
post 1st Aug 2011, 11:44pm
Post #10

Unpacking
Member No.: 561
During my working years as a PA/Secretary in New Zealand I found that my Glasgow accent was an open door to interesting conversations with all kinds of people from all walks of life. All loved the accent (except one Chinese client who complained that I didn't speak English). Most people wanted to talk of their Scottish ancestors, relatives-in-law, time spent there working, or touring Scotland during their UK trips. One of my colleagues said that she (as a Kiwi) never had such interesting conversations!

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 1st Aug 2011, 11:50pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 22
I voted yes , but wish to point out , that the only people to "have a go " in a serious manner have been English.. others may take the proverbial, in a fun way.. I have found my accent to be an asset ,here in Oz. I have worked in many areas , and apart from one factory job , all have been involved with people . Most will say the love the accent .

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 1st Aug 2011, 11:58pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
I mentioned before on the boards here that I worked with a German guy in Hannover airport who picked out my Glasgow (not Scottish) accent when I was conversing in German with him.
He had worked at Glasgow airport for 12 years and said he'd have recognised the accent even if I'd been speakin' Chinese wi' him.
He loved the accent and had no bother understanding it at all.

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
Robert Stewart
post 2nd Aug 2011, 12:24am
Post #13

Unpacking
Member No.: 130
I work from home, mainly Internet but also often on the phone. I'm 'real Glesga'. Some people in the US told me I sounded like a 'film star' - I wondered what they were on but they seemed sincere. A Quebec/French woman said she could listen to my voice all day - don't know why. I try to be honest, sincere and straightforward and it has worked for me.
At other times the 'Glesga growl' has stopped a Lot of people from trying their luck with me, so it does come in handy. Only twice has someone pretended they didn't understand me so I said two wurrds to them - then I said 'how did you manage to understand that?!'
An Arab heard my voice one time, rushed over and started calling me 'Jimmy!', seems he had enjoyed working wi' Glesga guys.
Toronto is full of all nationalities and years ago they all seemed to understand. Nowadays with the young ones working and the Scots dying off (and not coming here or being let in) some of them just don't have a clue about what I'm saying.
It's my voice and I'm keeping it, I couldn't change it anyway. I sometimes have difficulty understanding the folk on Coronation Street and hate the edjimicated wallies who talk on TV about the 'next king of England' - if so, then let it be, the queen is a phony, there never has been a Queen Elizabeth I of Britain.

+Quote Post
klingon
post 2nd Aug 2011, 12:27am
Post #14

Super Resident
Member No.: 4,815
I got the flipside of my Glasgow accent when I was fired from a bar job in Canada as they reckoned my Glasgow accent was to aggressive and scared the punters!-

--------------------
I hate two faced people-I don't know what face to punch first!

+Quote Post
**George Brown**
post 2nd Aug 2011, 12:28am
Post #15

Having seen and heard the effluent examples of typical life and language of London as portrayed in ''Eastenders''
enough said

+Quote Post

13 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Jun 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.