Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> No Butts... We're Not Coming Back!, Canadian tourists shun Glasgow
**misterglasgow**
post 27th Jul 2011, 11:31pm
Post #16

Can anyone tell me how much you get fined if you are the leader of the council and get caught snorting Cocaine ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 27th Jul 2011, 11:36pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
O' 100 pounds , that would hurt! But the law is the law.

+Quote Post
angel
post 27th Jul 2011, 11:50pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
I don't know if Ontario has a law regarding littering with dog ends
but you can be assured , that if there is a law the "criminal "would be given a warning.
Should'nt be smoking anyway ......

You would think that with all those 100 dollars on the spot fines being
dished out , surley there would be enough money to pay for the street clean-up.

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 28th Jul 2011, 12:16am
Post #19

We elect em, we gotta live with what they dish out.

Crap in, you get crap out, diffinently applies to most ciities fathers here in the USA, WOW look at our Washington DC talk about crap In!

Here in Henrico Virginia the cops are eager to shoot.

But our streets still are unsafe to walk, so few butts abound on the
ground.

I'll be careful in Glasgow in October, 100 pounds is a bit heavy, that's $200US.

Jerry

+Quote Post
wombat
post 28th Jul 2011, 12:25am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
angel sed:You would think that with all those 100 dollars on the spot fines being
dished out , surley there would be enough money to pay for the street clean-up.

surely with todays technology we can invent a biodegradable filter?
problem sorted. what if yie smoke cigars ?dis that incur a fine as well since it is 100% organic material (rolled in leaf with no filter)??????
if winston churchill drapped a big cigar in the city wid the cooncil fine him ?NAW

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
**klingon**
post 28th Jul 2011, 12:44am
Post #21

Why not put ciggie bins on the lamposts as I've seen in the US?-the smoking nazis would have less to dig folks up about and mebbe they could hit the Glesga doos with £100 fines for crapping on the street!

+Quote Post
klingon
post 28th Jul 2011, 12:47am
Post #22

Super Resident
Member No.: 4,815
QUOTE (glasgow lass @ 28th Jul 2011, 12:22am) *
O' 100 pounds , that would hurt! But the law is the law.

thats no law hen-it's just a cash generation scam by the cooncil-I got dug up for flicking the ash aff ma fag oot the window of my car!-Ford in their wisdom don't fit ashtrays any more to their motors! mad.gif

--------------------
I hate two faced people-I don't know what face to punch first!

+Quote Post
Ian
post 28th Jul 2011, 01:18am
Post #23

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,281
These days I live in Northern California, where the fine for littering (cigarette butts or otherwise) is a flat $1,000. Normally it's only imposed when the litter is thrown from a moving car, but I have no idea what percentage of the time anti-littering laws are enforced on pedestrians.
Whether in California or other countries, my experience has been that tourists tend to get off lightly when committing minor infractions unless the tourist (usually ably assisted by alcohol) decides to argue with or denigrate the officer.
Not having been back home to Glasgow for some time, I don't know the circumstances, but I find myself often in California cities thinking that there'd be fewer butts on the ground if there were a few ashtrays in busy shopping or entertainment districts.

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 28th Jul 2011, 01:28am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Hello Klingon, ciggy bins will just over flow like the very small trash bins that dont seem to get emptied regularly in Glasgow. Stop feeding the cooncil and quit smoking.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 28th Jul 2011, 02:11am
Post #25

Of course common sense should prevail, a warning should have been
issued. Perhaps the Glasgow Council should be brought to task for not
giving proper training to the employees ie. council officers involved. I am sure that these employees have zero skills in how to be pleasant with
the public and still get the message across. The sad part about this case is
that 2 empoyees think they are policemen, I am sure that Glasgow Police
would have dealt with these tourists in a more congenial manner. It seems to me that Scotland and Glasgow must have a vibrant economy when they have so little thought for the manner in which they conduct their civic affairs. In the long run so many lose out for the stupidity of people who should never have been placed in council employment.

Unfortunately I do not believe that much will change in Glasgow unless the Glasgow people elect new councellors who are able to act 100% on behalf of the citizens and the wishes of the ratepayers.

Keep me posted as to how the officers are dealt with. !!!

Billy Gibson

PS. Born in Glasgow

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 28th Jul 2011, 02:13am
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Mary and I had just visited Basel Zoo (10 minutes over the Swiss border) yesterday and although there's absolutely no "No smoking" signs anywhere there wasn't a single cigarette butt to be seen on the ground at all. This made Mary a bit anxious about lighting up ... she certainly forbade me to ... until we noticed that at every seating bank there was a litter bin complete with ash tray.
I can understand the feelings of the Canadian visitors to Glasgow. A polite warning would have sufficed. Demanding identification in the form of producing a passport is just too much "little corporal" for me ... and we know what they grow up to be. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
RobBob
post 28th Jul 2011, 04:14am
Post #27

Unpacking
Member No.: 10,707
Why not turn the 4 million pounds into labour and pay someone to clean up the mess rather than pay someone to fine everyone. In Canada, we take pride in our cities and even though we come from all over the world our people learn that cleanliness is next to godliness. CLEAN IT UP or supply ashtrays on every corner....that's what I say.....do you expect the Turners to butt out their cirgarettes in their pockets.....and I can see now why Sir John A. Macdonald, Canada's first prime minister left Scotland if this is the kind of calibre of thinking that existed back then. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 28th Jul 2011, 04:49am
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Do you commit an offence if you are unaware the action you took was an offence?I dont think so therefore I suggest the butt busters could have used a wee bit discretion with the tourist butt tossers,pointed out what was what and issued a word of warning.Its a shame that some people have left Glasgow with a negative feeling.
Can anyone tell me how these people operate? What happens if a butt tosser refuses to give the butt buster his name and address or gives false partics? Do they arrest you?
I seem to recall that as far as litter is concerned if a person drops,for example a cig packet in a public place,he would be given the opportunity to pick it up and dispose of it,only if he failed to do so would the offence be complete.
I wonder if the Canadian butt tossers were asked to pick up the offending butts by the butt busters?

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 28th Jul 2011, 06:22am
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 28th Jul 2011, 07:35am) *
Do you commit an offence if you are unaware the action you took was an offence?I dont think so

Whatever happened to " Ignorance of the law is no defence" ? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 28th Jul 2011, 06:26am
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 22
A warning would have sufficed ... HOWEVER ! decent citizens do not litter , so it makes you wonder about the person complaining. If this fine stops her being a grub, then at least the warden has achieved something.. Go home and litter your own streets lady . !

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Aug 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.