Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Second Betrayal Of William Wallace, Wallace's Well on brink of destruction
Heather
post 26th Aug 2011, 11:50am
Post #91

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
That's true Ash.
So we now have parts of Glasgow especially George Square done up to look like Philadelphia and the natives seem to be enjoying it as well as the City Father's with the money it will bring in to the town.

They say Glasgow was picked because parts of it looks like Philadelphia, and although I've been in Philly it was only for a day and too long ago to remember what it looked like.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 26th Aug 2011, 12:49pm
Post #92

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Probably like Glasgow on a rainy day ... but dearer. laugh.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 26th Aug 2011, 01:51pm
Post #93

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (ashfield @ 26th Aug 2011, 10:35am) *
Dead simple, the Irish gave the company making the film bigger tax breaks. It was all down to economics and nothing to do with locations.

True Ash, that's why World War Z is being filmed here, as Philadelphia couldn't give the makers a definite tax break level, so instead of waiting on them deciding they moved production to the UK picking Glasgow as the only city in the UK to resemble Philadelphia (Buildings, street grid layout).

+Quote Post
GG
post 31st Aug 2011, 07:58am
Post #94

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Meant to post this earlier: the improvements to Wallace's Well over the summer can be viewed here:

http://www.robroyston.org/wallace_wallaces...y_2011june.html

Thanks to everyone who posted here and also left a message on the Robroyston Wallace Monument guestbook; it's important we keep pressure on the council to fulfill their obligations to this site of national historical interest. Now all we need are the road signs and traffic management upgrades to promote and protect both the Monument and Well!

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 31st Aug 2011, 10:14am
Post #95

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Happy Smiling People biggrin.gif
What a dreat difference that has made.

Attached Image

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 2nd Sep 2011, 10:40am
Post #96

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
A big improvement on what it was before.... well done!!

+Quote Post
*Duncan Fenton*
post 6th Sep 2011, 05:44pm
Post #97

QUOTE (GG @ 16th Aug 2011, 10:43pm) *
Funnily enough, Delia, there was an article in the Scottish Daily Mail yesterday about the Robroyston Wallace Monument and Wallace's Well. I can't find it online (the SDM doesn't put content online), though I do have the paper version somewhere. I'll look it out and relay the contents.

Duncan, don't know if you saw this artilce, but email me and I will send on a copy. There's a couple of rather questionable quotes from Historic Scotland.

GG.

The reporter who did the article phoned me for input. We spent over an hour on the phone & I later sent him an e-mail with some quotes that he requested.

When the piece was printed, it was all edited out. Reporter e-mailed me back to apologise, but it's up to the editor.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 6th Sep 2011, 05:49pm
Post #98

Here is the latest development at the monument & Wallace's Well. The information boards are now up.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Society-...5714&type=1

+Quote Post
Jeannine
post 20th Jan 2012, 05:46pm
Post #99

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,209
i have only recently become a member of this board and that was to seek information on my husbands birth mother and other possible family members

however i have just come across this news story and i must say when i read the first page i was in shock that your council was going to let such a wonderful place die off, seems we all have the same opinion of Labor, ours arent much better here in Australia

however i decided to skip to the last page for an update only to be pleasantly surprised by the outcome but over joyed for you all

well done, im sure William will be proud of you and his Wall and surrounding area's look lovely, good job

i am also jealous of your green landscape considering we currently live in the outback and green is not a color we see often

+Quote Post
The Callands Reb...
post 20th Jan 2012, 06:33pm
Post #100

Visitor
Member No.: 9,211
Here's the Yank's take, again.

It still PO's me that several years ago 2009 my newly formed Camp in Glasgow offered to take over the maintenance of the Well at no "COSTS" to GLASGOW government and we were never contacted.

But we were blown off when we asked the council to recognize a glasgow born man, named Burley (Burleigh) a Confederate hero of our civil war.

Not to exhale the Confederacy or his service to but acknowledge this man was a NATIVE son.

They would have no part of it.

I expect this shallow thinking from the U.S. A politicians, but politicians are the SAME no matter the culture.

WHAT A SHAME

Jerry, the "Rebel" virginian

+Quote Post
*William Dryden*
post 5th Jun 2012, 09:53pm
Post #101

The real traitors in Scotland are the Labour party.

+Quote Post
GG
post 18th May 2014, 05:59pm
Post #102

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
No surprise here, just more of the same obfuscation and avoidance from Glasgow city council ... from yesterday's Herald:

William Wallace monument is refused by city council

An army of William Wallace enthusiasts have been refused permission to erect a monument to their hero.

In the year Scotland holds an independence reference, the group had been hoping to put up a memorial near Glasgow Cathedral to mark a battle with the English in the 13th century.

But the city council has refused to allow them to use a piece of its land at the rear of Provand's Lordship.

The Society Of William Wallace has already commissioned a work to commemorate the Battle of the Bell o' the Brae on a steep slope where High Street and Rottenrow meet.

The battle is believed to have happened in about 1300.

Members, who have already spent about 1,200 on the project, heard of the decision in a letter from Stevie Scott, the city parks and open spaces manager.

It says: "At this stage, I have taken the decision to refuse permission for the use of our land.

"I have taken this decision at this time to allow my service the opportunity to review all monuments and statues across the city's parks and public domain spaces to determine their current condition.

"I expect this exercise to commence post the 2014 Games period and would hope to be in a position to reconsider your request nearer the end of the calendar year.

"Thank you for your interest in this location."

Full story here:
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-ne...ign=Home%20News

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
*Tally Rand*
post 20th May 2014, 03:29am
Post #103

QUOTE (William Dryden @ 5th Jun 2012, 10:10pm) *
The real traitors in Scotland are the Labour party.

Labour? Traitors to all working class peoples wherever they rear their yuppie social engineering heads. " The working class can kiss my a....s, Iv'e got a pollies job at last" Sung to the tune of "The Red Flag" a song to scare the pants of any Labour politician.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Dec 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.