Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Panama Papers, The Rich get so very, very much Richer
GG
post 6th Apr 2016, 10:07pm
Post #31

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Good to see that two elitist organisations (UEFA and FIFA), who have combined effectively to destroy the game of football over the last few decades, might get their comeuppance ... although probably not! mellow.gif

Panama Papers: Uefa offices searched by Swiss police

The offices of European football's governing body Uefa have been searched by Swiss police.

It follows the naming of ex-secretary general Gianni Infantino - now president of world governing body Fifa - in papers leaked from Panamanian law firm Mossack Fonseca.

Meanwhile, a Fifa official also named in the papers - Juan Pedro Damiani - has resigned.

Infantino has denied wrongdoing while Uefa says it is helping police.

While working for Uefa, Infantino co-signed a television rights deal in 2006 with two businessmen who have since been accused by the FBI of bribery.

Cross Trading - owned by Hugo Jinkis and his son Mariano - bought TV rights for Uefa Champions League football in 2006 for $111,000 (78,000) and immediately sold them to Ecuadorian broadcaster Teleamazonas for $311,170 (220,000).

Cross Trading also paid $28,000 (20,000) for the rights to the Uefa Super Cup, selling those to Teleamazonas for $126,200 (89,000).

The contract came to light after 11 million documents were leaked from Mossack Fonseca. [...]

Full story here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35981302

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Melody
post 7th Apr 2016, 12:26pm
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Brilliant article from The Guardian by Jess Philips.

In the Name of the Father, the Son and the Spirit of the Law

David Cameron pays his taxes. What does he want, a round of applause? Tory MPs in defence of their premier last night took to Twitter to almost congratulate a man for saying he pays tax. What a guy, what a hero.

Am I missing something? Applauding such mediocrity seems unusual. Are we now to expect celebrations because he can tie his shoe laces or that he can grow hair. He's not a toddler, he's the sodding Prime Minister. Later I shall take to the streets of Yardley and hand out gold star stickers to all the people in the local Tesco, "well done Barbara, lovely tax-paying you did there while buying that curling iron, you really are a very good girl."

So David Cameron's dad didn't pay his fair share of taxes. The sins of Cameron's dad are not his fault. True, but the Government are no strangers to damning the children of people who they think aren't doing their bit for society. Barnardo's, the Child Poverty Action Group and many others have all said that the Conservative Welfare and Work Bill will make poor children poorer. Policies such as only paying tax credits to the first two children in a family directly penalise children for the decisions of their parents. So in Tory Britain poor kids are paying the price for the actions of their parents but David Cameron doesn't have to?

The Tories want taxpayers to hate people on benefits and be annoyed that we are paying for their lifestyle, I think it was IDS referred to as, "a direction which divides society". To use the words of the Prime Minister, 'let me be clear': The sins of Daddy Cameron were not illegal but they are utterly disgusting. They are worse than the sins of fathers up and down the country who can't find work, even the most feckless amongst them.

People who don't pay their taxes are robbing from us all. The Camerons may well have forked out for education and health services, but it was my money that trained the doctors, nurses and teachers they used. Without the taxpayer the posh who jump the queue would just be sitting in a rather nicely decorated room without the staff to actually deliver the service. Every time Cameron Snr drove his car on a public highway, every time he could see on the street because of a streetlight, every day when there was a pavement outside his house and a regular bin collection, he took money from you, the nation's honest taxpayers, without seeing fit to put his hand in his pocket. And while the Camerons had a bob or two I doubt very much they funded their own private police force and army. I mean the Eton set are a bit old fashioned but think the acts of livery and maintenance is a step to far even for them. So they got the security we all enjoy but it was you footing the bill, not daddy darling.

What makes it worse is that they got the best of everything while you paid the tab. They reaped the benefits of your hard toil, and because they had money to spare they got the best education, smaller class sizes, better service. Their kids got privilege that you paid for but never benefited from.

So David Cameron doesn't need our praise for paying his tax. He's not a very clever boy, he's a very average boy who used privilege rather than brains to get where he got. Perhaps we could all buy our babies a better life if only we weren't burdened with being decent human beings.

Jess Phillips is the Labour MP for Birmingham Yardley

+Quote Post
GG
post 7th Apr 2016, 09:37pm
Post #33

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Great article, Melody. Thanks for sharing. It shows the selfishness, greed and class hatred that defines psyche of our ruling elites.

And just when you thought it could not get more seedy ...

David Cameron had stake in father's offshore trust

David Cameron has said he and his wife Samantha owned shares in an offshore trust set up by his late father, before selling them for 30,000 in 2010.

The PM has faced questions over Blairmore Holdings, an offshore company set up by his late father, Ian.

He told ITV News he had paid all UK taxes due on the profits he made from the sale of the shares and said the firm had not been set up to avoid tax.

Labour said the PM had been forced into the "extraordinary admission".

The BBC understands Mr Cameron will publish his tax returns, possibly next week.

There have been days of headlines about Blairmore Holdings, a fund for investors which, until 2006, used "bearer shares" to protect its clients' privacy, following the leak of 11 million documents held by Panama-based law firm Mossack Fonseca. [...]

Full story here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35992167

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 8th Apr 2016, 08:34am
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
Sometimes I just despair.
I would mind if they used their tax savings to pay for this but WE are paying for it ...

Samantha Cameron has hired a 53,000 aide to help keep her fashionable using taxpayer's money, it's been reported.

The Prime Minister's wife is said to have recruited former model Rosie Lyburn to organise her designer wardrobe and social diary.

The 28-year-old is apparently Ms Cameron’s official “special adviser”, a title usually given to ministers’ aides.

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 8th Apr 2016, 08:37am
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
And this was the liar who said that he came in to clamp down on this kind of thing when he is actually already and still profiting from it.... time for this horrible little man and his snobby wife to go!!

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 8th Apr 2016, 08:55am
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Meant to say 'wouldn't mind', of course.

As a fashion advisor, I'd advise them to get matching outfits with all over little arrows, accessorised with a ball and chain!

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 8th Apr 2016, 08:58am
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Anyone fancy a day out in London?

Edward Snowden has called on the British people to rise up and demand that David Cameron resign.

The fugitive whistleblower urged voters to attend a protest outside Downing Street to force the Prime Minister from office.

In a series of tweets, Mr Snowden , said the next 24 hours "could change Britain."

He suggested the outrage at Mr Cameron's admission that he trousered thousands in profits from his father's offshore fund could spark the same kind of protests that yesterday forced Icelandic PM Sigmundur David Gunnlaugsson to quit.

An estimated 10% of Icelandic voters took to the streets on Tuesday night, furious at the revelation that Mr Gunnlaugsson had hidden millions in an offshore fund.

Mr Snowden tweeted: "It's up to the British people, not us. In Iceland, 10% of all voters were in the streets within 24 hours, and for less."

+Quote Post
Melody
post 8th Apr 2016, 09:04am
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Oh the papers are good today.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/commentisf...=share_btn_link

+Quote Post
Melody
post 8th Apr 2016, 09:07am
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Brilliant:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/if-cam...d-a6973161.html

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 8th Apr 2016, 09:24am
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
The one thing I don't understand about all this is - why is anyone surprised???
What else would you expect?
Or is it just the glee of having proof?

+Quote Post
Melody
post 8th Apr 2016, 09:30am
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
I don't think anyone is surprised in the slightest Betsy but it's just fab to see them all exposed in the media just in case anyone is not sure of what the Tories are all about. laugh.gif
Absolute glee.

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 8th Apr 2016, 09:33am
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
flam
post 8th Apr 2016, 11:53am
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
I bet some of you on here have lovely bought houses/homes after Mrs Thatcher gave people the opportunity to buy their own houses at a marvellous discount..I would call that greed, so it is not only Tories who have greed on their mind
If I could get something for nothing, I would take it in a minute,just give me a ring

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 8th Apr 2016, 03:46pm
Post #44

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,333

Did anyone see the Industry Minister Nick Boles MP on BBC Breakfast this morning? Obviously he drew the short straw and was sent out to defend Cameron. It was a car crash of an interview. Boles had probably been coached by his staff and had a 'script' to an anticipated question which was not asked. Charlie Stayt of BBC Breakfast is, in my opinion, highly under rated. He did a good job on the weasel Boles.

Well worth watching. It will cheer you up.

https://youtu.be/7VmgIF7jhTU

Regards

Ian

+Quote Post
flam
post 8th Apr 2016, 06:14pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
I see there is 2 Irish Guys named in the "Panama Papers" one being Dermot Desmond a large shareholder in Glasgow Celtic ,and reputed to be worth 1.38 Billion, also J.P.McManus, I think that guy owns horses,and I believe his stable Jockey was at one time A.P.McCoy.maybe somebody on this forum would correct me if I am wrong

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.