Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

16 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Garngad Family History, Irish families of the old Garngad
Rating 4 V
valros
post 25th Jun 2007, 06:19pm
Post #106

Super Resident
Member No.: 2,069
Hi Lena,

Thanks for your reply. You are more than welcome for any help I can give.

I thought that your Mum may be interested in a photo with Lena in it, that's why I mentioned it. I would be only too happy to let you have a copy of it, maybe Maria would like a copy too?
Just click on my name as before and send me your e-mail address so I can attach the photo for you. Perhaps your Mum may recognise other faces from it as another couple of the girls lived in Villiers Street then--Agnes Daly, Helen McShane who was also known as Rice, think she lived with an aunt. I have all the names at the bottom of the photo.
You can always print out a copy of the photo too if you have a printer, you will probably know all this yourself though Lena. I use glossy A4 size paper for photos.

I remember Silvio's okay-many a "pokey hat" I had out of there biggrin.gif

When you went into Anderson's dairy Lena, did you know one of the workers called Betty Wright? she lived at 134 Earlston Avenue, had a son and daughter who both went to St Mungo's primary.
She worked in the shop for years.

I lived in the building facing the swing park in Rhymer Street, our windows looked into the boys end of the school.

I just loved John McLaughlin's site in fact I have printed all the stuff out, so sad that he died shortly before I had discovered the site. I recalled all the names he mentioned, mainly through my parents speaking about them. Will have to have a look at the site again because I may well know some of your relatives, are they still living up there?

St Roch's Church and school are in their centenary year just now and I believe there will be some celebrations in August.

Believe this or not but over the years I have often thought of Lena and the other pals I had at the primary school---they are such good memory's too.

Look forward to hearing from both you and Maria again

Valros
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Maria M6
post 26th Jun 2007, 10:33pm
Post #107

Unpacking
Member No.: 4,848
Post#105 & 106
Hello Lena & valros

Don't know if you got my PM's I have written down my e-mail address...I know that Lean's PM that I sent has no tracking that I can follow...I must have done something wrong...I received your PM Lena...have sent you an e-mail off to your address that you gave me...hope that you receive it OK...Cheers to Valros for the kind guesture of a copy of my aunt Lena's school photo...I have sent a PM to you also with my details...I do hope that you receive it...

Thanks once again to both of you...

Maria xx

+Quote Post
valros
post 26th Jun 2007, 11:04pm
Post #108

Super Resident
I have received all PMs from Lena and yourself Maria, have sent you both a copy of the photo

Best wishes

Valros wink.gif

+Quote Post
*Eddie Johnston*
post 4th Aug 2007, 07:48am
Post #109

QUOTE (valros @ 16th Jun 2006, 08:23 PM) *
Tommy,

It's been Royston Road and Roystonhill since 1942 but people still said Garngad. I never knew it as Garngadhill or road but my parents did.

Valros

From memory, people simply refrerred to "The Hill" or "The Road".

+Quote Post
*Guest Bill **
post 20th Aug 2007, 09:28am
Post #110

Has St. Roch's had its centenary celebrations yet?

+Quote Post
Paul Kelly
post 8th Sep 2007, 08:51am
Post #111

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,956
I understand St Roch's church and St Roch's primary school (the Wee Roch) are both celebrating their centenary this year, though not the secondary school (the Big Roch). I don't know anyone who stays in Garngad/Royston these days and I am not sure when exactly the celebrations are being held.

--------------------
From every mountainside, let freedom ring. Martin Luther King

+Quote Post
valros
post 8th Sep 2007, 11:09am
Post #112

Super Resident
I have a booklet that was specially printed for the Centenery year and according to that the celebrations were supposed to be held in August. I didn't hear anything about it though.
I have a friend who lives there and I will e-mail her and ask.

Valros

+Quote Post
*Eddie Goodbrand*
post 6th Oct 2007, 02:03pm
Post #113

HI Paul,

My mothers name was Helen Kelly (born 1935) and Her Father was Edward and they came from the Garngad and ended up in Avonspark Street.

Either coincidence of there must be some connection.

My mother had a Brother Edward who died young, about 5 I think, and two sisters Annie and May who was the youngest.

My mother died in 1991 aged 56.

+Quote Post
Paul Kelly
post 9th Oct 2007, 08:16am
Post #114

Super Lord Provost
Hi Eddie.

What a strange coincidence! I spoke to my dad last night on the phone and he says there were other Kelly families staying in Avonspark Street but he did not know them that well. He says he did not know a Helen Kelly. My Kelly grandparents - James Kelly and Sarah Rutherford - married around 1925 and stayed first of all with my greatgrandfather - Hugh Kelly - at McNeil Street, Hutchesontown, Gorbals. Around 1928 they moved to their own place at Bright Street, Garngad and around 1933 they moved to Gadshill Street, Garngad where my dad was born in 1934. They moved to Avonspark Street, Balornock after the 2nd World War. My dad says he was evacuated to Kilmarnock for a short period during the 2nd World War. Avonspark Street is a long street. My grandparents stayed at the end of Avonspark Street next to Edgefauld Road (containing Barnhill/Foresthall) and the block they stayed in was directly opposite the opening to Dykemuir Street. My dad says this sole block was demolished in the 1990s.

My dad's family consisted of Betty (born 1926), May (1927), Hugh (1928/29), Bernie (1930/31), Jim (my dad 1934), Jack (1937), Jinty (1941)

You say your grandfather's name was Edward Kelly. Do you know the names of his parents? My greatgrandfather - Hugh Kelly - came to Glasgow from Donegal around 1886/87/88 and lodged with his older brother Willie Kelly and wife Mary McGlynn at Villiers Street, Garngad. He seems to have stayed with them until he married in 1890. I remember looking up Willie Kelly's family in the 1891 and 1901 censuses at the Mitchell Library the last time I was home in Glasgow and he had 6 children, 3 boys and 3 girls. I think the names of the boys were Charlie, Danny and Eddie. I would need to double check this and I will the next time I purchase units on the scotlandspeople.gov.uk website.

All the best,

Paul

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Guest Lena **
post 12th Oct 2007, 12:35pm
Post #115

Response to post 113

Hi Eddie, my mother knew a Nellie Kelly who lived at the bottom of Villiers St. She said that Nellie had really dark black curly hair... could this be your mother? She had an older sister Kathy...possibly a brother called James...she is not sure as it is so long ago.
My mum was born in Villiers St... and my research shows that my father an mothers family resided in the area for some time.
My mother tells me that there were a lot of Kelly families...common name in the Garngard ...

+Quote Post
Eddie Goodbrand
post 24th Oct 2007, 09:18am
Post #116

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,057
QUOTE (Guest Lena * @ 12th Oct 2007, 01:35 PM) *
Response to post 113

Hi Eddie, my mother knew a Nellie Kelly who lived at the bottom of Villiers St. She said that Nellie had really dark black curly hair... could this be your mother? She had an older sister Kathy...possibly a brother called James...she is not sure as it is so long ago.
My mum was born in Villiers St... and my research shows that my father an mothers family resided in the area for some time.
My mother tells me that there were a lot of Kelly families...common name in the Garngard ...

Hi Lena,

Not really sure where my Mum lived exactly, but she had a brother Edward who died when he was 5, and two sisters Annie and May.

My Grandad Eddie was in the Fire Service during the war years, and when I was small I remember him mentioning the Fire at a Whisky Bond called Brabbies or Brabby's, not sure of the spelling.

The only person remaining is my Auntie May who is now in her 60's and lives in Carmyle.

+Quote Post
valros
post 28th Oct 2007, 05:25pm
Post #117

Super Resident
Eddie,

I have just seen your post. Braby's was a steel work my fatherworked in it. Trying to post a photo of it for you

Braby's 1910

Frederick Braby and Company moved to the Eclipse works in Petershill Road from Garngad Road, owing to Springburn's excellent location adjacent to sidings from four railway companies.

The company made galvanised iron and steel products including roofing and windows, hot-water cylinders, chimney cans, wine bins and even cattle troughs. Some Braby workers were involved in the construction of the Ferris wheel at Blackpool in the 1920s.

The man in the centre of the foreground is a foreman. The 'hard-hats', as they were called, were not popular among the working men, and it was said that the bowler hat was not only a symbol of the foreman's position but protected him from rivets and the like 'accidentally' dropped by workers from above.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
*Catherine Kennedy*
post 31st Oct 2007, 07:50am
Post #118

Thank you Paul for some fantastic information. I'm just researching my family history and have found a list of addresses where my great grandparents lived from around 1892 through till about 1918. At some stage they came to Australia (around 1914), but when my g-gf was injured in WW1 my g-gmother did come back to Scotland. I had figured out that Garngad Rd had become Royston Rd, but couldn't figure out where the other streets they had lived were. I'm not sure if anyone could help me and I'm not even sure that the addresses are in Garngad, some of them are in Dennistoun, please forgive my ignorance, I've never been to Glasgow so have no idea of the geography and how far apart places are.
My great grantparents were married at St Mary's Chapel Calton, in 1892. Their address at the time was given as 89 King St,Glasgow. The next address I have is 6 Comely Park Place, Glasgow, I can't find this address anywhere. The next address I have is from my great aunt's death certificate. In 1906 they were living at 37 Cobden St, which was described by Paul so now I have a mental picture. In 1911, my great grandmother inherited money from her brother, so there is a lot of correspondence from the solicitors and her address changes 3 times in about 2 years. In April 1911 it was 7 Wesleyan St Gallowgate, then by August 1911, 20 Bright St Garngad and finally Dec 1912, 149 Garngad Rd. My great aunt Ellen Kennedy married William Croal at St Roch's 18th July 1913. It's been interesting to read all the information, and I'm sad in a way that I won't be able to visit and see where they lived, but I'll look up the link suggested and hopefully find some old photos.
Catherine

+Quote Post
*Catherine Kennedy*
post 31st Oct 2007, 11:00pm
Post #119

Hello Everyone,
Just wanted to thank you all for the interesting information and you Paul for the old map site at NLS. I've looked on the site, found a 1912 map, and located all the streets where my great grandparents lived. I was so excited. Wesleyean St and Comley Park Place are both off Gallowgate Rd, on a modern map they aren't there, but the nearby Sword St is, so I still have an idea of the location. I have also looked at the Garngad addresses of Bright St, Cobden St and Garngad Rd. After reading the other postings the ghettos sounded awful. I have copies of letters that were written to my great grandmother from her brother, where he asks after her mental state. No wonder she was probably going crazy, shared outside toilets, whole families and lodgers sharing one room. She moved around alot, I'm not sure if this was common, who knows, she was probably evicted many times. Does anyone know where the closest burial ground was? My g-grandmother buried at least 2 children while living in the area. One died when she was living in Cobden St and the other when she was on Garngad Rd. Would it have been St Roch's?
kind regards
Catherine

+Quote Post
Paul Kelly
post 2nd Nov 2007, 11:27am
Post #120

Super Lord Provost
Thanks Catherine.

As I mentioned in post #20, Garngad's streets were sometimes described as being in the neighbouring district of Dennistoun on official documents, especially in the late 1800s. However, Garngad and Dennistoun were separate districts and had very little in common other than the fact that they were neighbouring areas. Garngad was a very poor area with a large Irish immigrant population whereas Dennistoun was probably the best off area in the east end of Glasgow and had very few Irish immigrants staying in it.

The following link shows an old image of Cobden Street, Garngad, a street of course which no longer exists.

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitc...QiO30=&pg=2

In addition, if you zoom in on sheet VI.7.19 of the following link, you will find a street map of Garngad in 1894.

http://www.nls.uk/maps/townplans/glasgow_2.html

St Mary's, Abercromby Street, Calton, next to Bridgeton, is the 2nd oldest Catholic Parish in Glasgow (established 1842), and is where Celtic FC was founded in 1888. (see post #53 and post #70 of the topic 'Common Irish Surnames In Scotland')

I know of 2 Catholic cemetries in Glasgow:
St Kentigern's, Balmore Road, Lambhill
and St Peter's, London Road, Dalbeth

--------------------

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Apr 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.