Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tradeston
Catarina
post 19th Nov 2013, 09:53pm
Post #16

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,071
Hi there,
So glad to hear from folks who went to Centre Street school,like I did...I do recall the teachers,
Hunter and McCallum,so maybe we were in the same class. I was a McLean and I have a class photo.
I attended I believe starting in in 1942 or three,as I went to live with my Grandmother on Nelson Street. After Centre Street school, I went on to Lambhill Street School.

The old swing park was my favourite haunt in those days. Also Paddy Black's Memorial mission,where they had the girls guildry,silent movies,and weekend bus trips to different places in Scotland. Great memories of rollerskating on the smooth streets,and bicycling to Maxwell Park.cannies and beds.Backcourt concerts,where we charged a halfpenny to get in. Hollering to my Granny who lived in the top tenement flat for a piece n Jam. No family remaining in Glasgow,but have a daughter and half sister living in England...Just recently returned from a trip there,but returned to Glasgow many times over the years,while my Dad was still living. Love Glasgow,and the Barras.

Emigrated to Canada in 1953 took hubby and four kids to visit their Grandpa who by that time was
living in Bridgeton Cross...The kids have great memories of climbing the dykes,and teaching the local kids how to play baseball. Yep...memories
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Catarina
post 19th Nov 2013, 10:07pm
Post #17

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,071
meant to ask in my upper posting....
Does anyone recall the red brick fire station and houses that was just facing Centre Street Schooll
I used to enter the centre courtyard of the station on my byke,and felt as though I was in another
world...It all seemed soo posh and clean. I imagine it doesn't exist anymore.

+Quote Post
d.c.
post 19th Nov 2013, 10:49pm
Post #18

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 19
QUOTE (Catarina @ 19th Nov 2013, 10:24pm) *
meant to ask in my upper posting....
Does anyone recall the red brick fire station and houses that was just facing Centre Street Schooll
I used to enter the centre courtyard of the station on my byke,and felt as though I was in another
world...It all seemed soo posh and clean. I imagine it doesn't exist anymore.

Catarina, the fire station buildings are still there, but I think it is now a homeless shelter. If you Google '180 Centre Street Glasgow' you will be able to see some streetview images. Zooming out of streetview, the satellite image will show the yard and drill/exercise tower behind the main building.

You mention Lambhill Street School, that building also still exists but is now a nursing home. If you Google '40 Lambhill Street Kinning Park' you will find streetview images of it.

+Quote Post
d.c.
post 19th Nov 2013, 10:51pm
Post #19

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 19
Duplicate post - sorry

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 2nd Jun 2014, 07:16pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
Trish Caird interviewing 'Curren' about the history of Tradeston on Sunny Govan Radio... http://soundcloud.com/sunny-g-5/trisha-and...n-tradston-show

+Quote Post
**Geraldine**
post 21st Mar 2018, 11:06am
Post #21

QUOTE (*Sandra* @ 8th Dec 2009, 09:03pm) *
I have found documents showing that relatives were living in 153 Gloucester Street, Tradeston in 1873.
Can anyone advise where this was located as I believe it may now be an on or off ramp from the M8.
Was it near where Sher Bros cash and carry is now located????

Help.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Nov 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.