Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Townhead
Rating 4 V
Elizabeth H
post 9th Apr 2009, 05:18pm
Post #16

Settling In
Member No.: 5,577
I lived in Kennedy Street and also frequented the Pinkston we had great times playing in the old railway carriages just over the bridge, and at the canal. McAuslin street was great for roller skating. We also had some terrific times when there was heavy snow sledging down Ballmano Brae? which was just behind the Rottenrow. Kennedy Street swing park was great, many a picnic we had during the summer. People came from all over to St Paul's hall for the dances at the weekend. We either spent our time in Valerio's or Gizzi's cafes which were both on Parliamentry Road.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 9th Apr 2009, 05:48pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
HI Cathy,

Welcome to the nuthoose!

The Cuddies and Stinky Ocean, ah the memories and the smell of it all.

Did ye ever have hot shower under Pinkston Power Station cooling tower, and then have a wee swim in the canel to cool aff. The waater wus roastin.

Saved paying to get in the baths.

Aye the swing park was great, remember the big slide and roondaboot and wee house that the park keeper wus in?

I knew a lassie from Lister St, her name was June and we used to go to her hoose to watch Lost in Space on Sunday afternoons, then we wid go back to the swingpark.

Also ended up winching a Lassie called Liz Robertson, she stayed at corner of Lister St and Parly Rd, jist beside Coop.

As a kid I was screened at Black St Clinic, wusnea fur STD, I wus too young to have that, honest!

Great to hear yer wee stories!

Rabbie*

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
**weelew**
post 9th Apr 2009, 06:23pm
Post #18

QUOTE (Elizabeth H @ 9th Apr 2009, 05:47pm) *
I lived in Kennedy Street and also frequented the Pinkston we had great times playing in the old railway carriages just over the bridge, and at the canal. McAuslin street was great for roller skating. We also had some terrific times when there was heavy snow sledging down Ballmano Brae? which was just behind the Rottenrow. Kennedy Street swing park was great, many a picnic we had during the summer. People came from all over to St Paul's hall for the dances at the weekend. We either spent our time in Valerio's or Gizzi's cafes which were both on Parliamentry Road.

I remember running down the brae in a guidie and nearly killing myself at the bottom.

+Quote Post
weelew
post 9th Apr 2009, 06:48pm
Post #19

City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,131
I remember running down that brae in a guidie and nearly killing myself .I also vaguely remember a boy getting seriously hurted going down in a bike.

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 9th Apr 2009, 08:31pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Ahh Weelaw, so it wus you!

Hows the bike?!

laugh.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
klingon
post 27th May 2009, 11:33pm
Post #21

Super Resident
Member No.: 4,815
QUOTE (catherine hadnum @ 1st Mar 2009, 02:35am) *
i lived in black st and went to st mungos and then st rochs, i also spent many summers up the cuddies park and playing at the stinky ocean, Does anyone remember the wee bridge on baird st that crossed the canal and had a wee white house attached to it just up the road from the sawmill. does anyone also remember the rag man shop just off mc aslin st where u could take rags and get money for them. also there was a pawn shop on mc aslin st. one of my memories is the clinic in black st we used to think the girls who went there in big black limo's were really rich and lucky, only to find out later that they were actually from childrens homes being screened for std.s- the wee hoose was actually the bridgekeepers gate for the canal-guy used to keep a goat!-in Glesga toon centre!

we also used to play in kennedy st park, the greatsest park ever! one of my favourite memories of the 60s was finding a fiver which was a lot of money then and not telling my mammy but taking all my pals to the ice cream shop on parly rd buying ginger, chocolate ice creams and then going to the park and having a picnic. needless to say i couldnt spend it all and my mammy found out and apparently it was a neighbours who demanded it back!! but my mammy said she would have to prove it was hers to get any change i had left and when she couldnt my mammy kept it but gave me right ticking off, but i enjoyed my wealthy moment!!
cathy hadnum (nee sweeney

Mind the name of the parkie at Kennedy st swings?-wan rotten tooth and bellowed like a bull!-was called "Bibbie" by us weans but was actually a nice auld man who lost a leg in WW1-just his way I suppose-used to go to Romeo Valerios tally cafe for hoat peas in the winter and if I was real flush a bottle of coke from his "magic machine"-put a bottle in from the crate-pull a lever and it came rocketing out freezing cold!-never twigged it was a "wan in wan oot" fridge! fair miss my childhood in Toonheid-amazin whit 50 years can dae!

--------------------
I hate two faced people-I don't know what face to punch first!

+Quote Post
maggie mc manus3...
post 28th May 2009, 01:11am
Post #22

Settling In
Member No.: 6,062
[font="Arial Black"][/font][size="4"][/size] See Klingon ah just don't get this 'aka stuff' I like to know who i'm talking to but mind you i am a wee bit of a 'Trekky' so if your gonny be called summit it might as well be that eh? Anyhoo!! My family were all from Mc Aslin St. facing St. Paul's chapel and next close tae the pawn (haundy eh?) I'm sorry but i'm going to have to go into 'the vernacular' now which my hubby says makes me sound like i'm a ' hunner years auld ' but speaking nicely when i'm regailing about 'The Toonheid ' just disnae sound right. Wid ye agree 'K'? Ma best memories are of ' Toonheid baths.' Nip intae Peaches furr a couple of whoppers, an MB bar and aff we go. Whit a fab time we had there and 4d tae get in, circa 1956-62. If you didnae get oot that watter when big Annie blew her whistle and flung open the wee swing door tae reveal yurr simmet n drawers her next move wis tae toss the said items intae the pool. If ye felt like paying in again ye'd tae queue ootside in yer cozzie in aw weathers just tae get another turn. More often than not we had tae hire a cozzie, you know wi Glasgow corpy splashed aw doon the front and it of course wis made of kinda itchy woolly stuff that when ye dived in wi the cozzie oan ye came up wi a catsuit oan ye daren't get oot tae go tae the lav. Well ye did eventuaaaaaaalllllyyy. By the way, if ye were a wee St. Mungo's person, go to the part of this forum that's under churches and religion, ah wrote a wee ditty about living under the shadow of St. Mungo's and it still makes me titter' Let me know how you get on 'k' LLAP as they say.

+Quote Post
klingon
post 1st Jul 2009, 12:33am
Post #23

Super Resident
QUOTE (maggie mc manus34 @ 28th May 2009, 02:28am) *
[font="Arial Black"][/font][size="4"][/size] See Klingon ah just don't get this 'aka stuff' I like to know who i'm talking to but mind you i am a wee bit of a 'Trekky' so if your gonny be called summit it might as well be that eh? Anyhoo!! My family were all from Mc Aslin St. facing St. Paul's chapel and next close tae the pawn (haundy eh?) I'm sorry but i'm going to have to go into 'the vernacular' now which my hubby says makes me sound like i'm a ' hunner years auld ' but speaking nicely when i'm regailing about 'The Toonheid ' just disnae sound right. Wid ye agree 'K'? Ma best memories are of ' Toonheid baths.' Nip intae Peaches furr a couple of whoppers, an MB bar and aff we go. Whit a fab time we had there and 4d tae get in, circa 1956-62. If you didnae get oot that watter when big Annie blew her whistle and flung open the wee swing door tae reveal yurr simmet n drawers her next move wis tae toss the said items intae the pool. If ye felt like paying in again ye'd tae queue ootside in yer cozzie in aw weathers just tae get another turn. More often than not we had tae hire a cozzie, you know wi Glasgow corpy splashed aw doon the front and it of course wis made of kinda itchy woolly stuff that when ye dived in wi the cozzie oan ye came up wi a catsuit oan ye daren't get oot tae go tae the lav. Well ye did eventuaaaaaaalllllyyy. By the way, if ye were a wee St. Mungo's person, go to the part of this forum that's under churches and religion, ah wrote a wee ditty about living under the shadow of St. Mungo's and it still makes me titter' Let me know how you get on 'k' LLAP as they say.

Awrite- Andy then!-aye I mind well gaun tae toonheid baths-just aboot every day!-I was a maniac swimmer-I remember the vending machine getting installed-chicken soup and all!-only if someone had hot chocolate before ye it ended up in the soup as well-VERY strange taste!-thing I remember most aboot the "pond" was the Brylcreem vending machine-1d in the slot and a daud of brylcreem could be obtained by pressin a button-instant Teddy Boy!
mc Aslan st-rerr street fur playin wi a guider-was like a snooker table for some reason-smooth as glass-2 roller skates and a orange boax and wheech!
We stayed in the "posh" hooses in Parly rd-corner of Lister st-inside loo and a bathroom!-oh and the ubiquitous "wally close" as well!-wish I had it noo-3 bedroom city centre victorian flat?-gotta be 250,000 quid!-coulda bought Parly rd for that in 1959!

--------------------

+Quote Post
glesgagirl
post 1st Jul 2009, 01:35pm
Post #24

Visitor
Member No.: 6,895
QUOTE (Isobel @ 21st Apr 2007, 03:39pm) *
I was not born in Townhead but as my granny lived at 2 Black St. just off Parliamentry Road I did spend lots of time there. .There was a street very close to St Mungo's chapel that was so smooth when I would go there I took my roller skates to play there. No street like that in Ruchazie. We just thought it was great.

My granny lived at 3 Black Street, Mary Milne (Moir) top floor.

+Quote Post
klingon
post 21st Aug 2009, 02:26am
Post #25

Super Resident
QUOTE (klingon @ 28th May 2009, 12:50am) *
Mind the name of the parkie at Kennedy st swings?-wan rotten tooth and bellowed like a bull!-was called "Bibbie" by us weans but was actually a nice auld man who lost a leg in WW1-just his way I suppose-used to go to Romeo Valerios tally cafe for hoat peas in the winter and if I was real flush a bottle of coke from his "magic machine"-put a bottle in from the crate-pull a lever and it came rocketing out freezing cold!-never twigged it was a "wan in wan oot" fridge! fair miss my childhood in Toonheid-amazin whit 50 years can dae!

Know the funny thing I remember about living in Parly road?-we virtually never went "doon the toon"!-and Sauchiehall st was at the end of the road!-jist nae need-I remember ma granny saying she coulda been born brought up and died and didnae need tae leave Parly rd-there was everything ye needed in the wan area-schools-churches-pictures-shoaps I loved living there and sair wish I still did-but tempus must fugit I suppose-although over the last 45 years or so I don't think Glasgow has got any better-thanks to the muppets in the City Chambers all they succeeded in doing was destroying a vibrant living community and replacing it with modern slums-think Ruchazie-Drumchapel-Easterhoose,oh aye and the best of the lot-the Gorbals "regeneration"-I seen them all built-and then demolished again because they were all s**te!-well done ya bams-ye completed whit the Luftwaffe couldnae dae-destroyed Glasgow!-noo ye cannae get a hoose in Glasgow for love or money!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 21st Aug 2009, 03:33am
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Aye!

The heart of Glasgow has been ripped oot.

But.. they cannea kill oor memories or will.

--------------------

+Quote Post
maggie mc manus3...
post 22nd Aug 2009, 01:42am
Post #27

Settling In
QUOTE (glesgagirl @ 1st Jul 2009, 02:52pm) *
My granny lived at 3 Black Street, Mary Milne (Moir) top floo
[/size][font="Arial Black"][/font][size="4"]Well hello there Glesca girl noo like ah said tae Andy aka Klingon (thank you by the way Andy) gonnie no use these akas. Ilike to know TO WHOM I'M SPEAKING. God ah just love turning on the 'posh'. Anyhoo hen!!! yes i knew and am in fact the wee cuz of one of the Moirs. ( sorry hen ah sound like a 17yr old chav ) actually i'm 58yrs old and my wonderful auntie Nellie was married to my uncle Dougie Moir. They had my big cousin Helen Moir-64yrs and we all lived in Mc Aslin St. The Milnes lived in Black St next to easifit shoe shop( the height of style i might add) Obviously your connected to the Chuggs and the Hunters but if the auld yin was your granny, are you Walter's lassie? If so i remember you like it was yesterday hen. It was so nice to at last, see a name i recognise. Keep in touch hen. Eileen was my wee sister, you might remember her eh?

+Quote Post
glesgagirl
post 27th Aug 2009, 01:25pm
Post #28

Visitor
Member No.: 6,895
Maggie,

good to hear from you. my name is Janet Campbell I am Christina's (Chrissy's) daughter, there was Mary (married a Yank, came to the states and never returned to Glasgow) who passed away a few years ago, she was 83. Then there was uncle Douglas as you know has since passed, then my mom, Chrissy, 85 still going strong, Uncle Walter still OK, uncle Sonny recently passed,Betty - passed, James-passed, Margaret Chugg who now lives in Riddrie. Two of my sisters and me come home every year, this year my brother Walter will be with us, we are coming for the Cliff Richard/Shadows Concert . Keep in touch

+Quote Post
maggie mc manus3...
post 4th Sep 2009, 03:10am
Post #29

Settling In
QUOTE (glesgagirl @ 27th Aug 2009, 01:42pm) *
Maggie,

good to hear from you. my name is Janet Campbell I am Christina's (Chrissy's) daughter, there was Mary (married a Yank, came to the states and never returned to Glasgow) who passed away a few years ago, she was 83. Then there was uncle Douglas as you know has since passed, then my mom, Chrissy, 85 still going strong, Uncle Walter still OK, uncle Sonny recently passed,Betty - passed, James-passed, Margaret Chugg who now lives in Riddrie. Two of my sisters and me come home every year, this year my brother Walter will be with us, we are coming for the Cliff Richard/Shadows Concert . Keep in touch

Hi Janet as soon as i came off the pc i knew right away you weren't big Walterand Jean's daughter coz you would've mentioned 28 mc aslin st where we all lived. I'm 58yrs old but i have a great memory like my daddy (Michael Mc Manus). Obviously i know more about Jeanie n Walter but i still remember you lot, some vaguely and some i remember well even tho' i was only a kid and mostly thru' my wee auntie Nelly, uncle dougie and my big cousin Helen who i'm still very much in contact with. Spooky or what?i'm also going to see Cliff and the Shadows on Oct. 10th and tho' really i'm an Elvis wummin wheeeee!!! can't wait. By the way is Walter's daughter Margaret still in USA and how is she? I can't wait to tell Helen Moir about this, however, she's not easily excited so it should be interesting. How about i give you her e-mail address, tho' actually it's Chanel, Helen's granddaughter who has the pc but i reach her thru' that. Dye fancy? let me know Janet ( i hope you don't mind me being so familiar. Speak to you soon

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 18th Feb 2010, 10:14am
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
From Sickness and Health Thread

My rabblings prolly would be better suited to this thread as they digress from originating thread!

QUOTE (jimmyt @ 17th Feb 2010, 09:48pm) *
regarding old doctors i have been told by big brother the nane of the doctor on ally pde was dr vernon nurse.also he was chienese.i lived at 67 ally pde.can remember the cowies and the apsleys

Hi Jimmy,

Dr. Vernon Nurse, that be the wan. No so sure he was Chinese tho, pretty sure he was of Indian origin, as far as ah ken chinkies dinnea wear turbans, reek of garlic and vindaloo.

Anywi, great to ken somewan so close to hame. I knew a Jimmie Tomlie who had a big brother Andy, I think.. but they lived in 30(something) next tae Marrs Newpaper shop. Jimmy (Jimego) and maself used to dog school before they moved oot to Roebank Street in '69.

I wus 3 flights up in 61, The Clarks, Devaneys and Mrs Harvey whurr aon bottom floor, so ye whurr a few closes up the parade frea me. Havenea came across to many yet Davy44 wus in 115 but no seen him aroont here fur yonks.

Billy Cowie used to work in Stevedores and Tailors as a barman, he has twa sisters, Irene and Linda. Last ah heard of him a few years ago he was still staying in Taylor St flats.
He was wan of the 2 original tenents left. The other is my pals maw, Jean Pedersen. Shes been there since they were built and opened in late '69 / early '70. So they huv been there 40 years now, scary shit how time flies.

Dea ye remember the McDougalls, Lowes, Allerdyces, McKennas or Heggies? Frank and wee Mary Sculloin, Wee Boabie, McClardies Dairy?

You will prolly ken Dot's Dairy and wee Carrie Ross's shop (next shop tae 67).

Catch ye in a bit, aff tae the Quackery fur a check up.

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Sep 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.