Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ruchill Hospital Bids Close, Site entirely for private housing
sumac
post 18th Feb 2007, 01:10pm
Post #16

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 3,359
I know that the only constant is change, and that Ruchill is probably past its best as far as nursing people is concerned, but I was a patient in Ruchill practically every year from a baby till I was twelve. I was a very asthmatic child, and suffered many respiratory conditions that required hospitalisation. So you will understand how sentimental I feel about it. It really was like a second home to me, smile.gif mainly because of the poor conditions we lived in, in Townhead. I am sorry to hear that it may become flats, as I don't think that sort of conversion works very well, no matter HOW MUCH it costs.

I am a member of a site called The System, which is actually an urban exploration site (I only look at the site - I don't go exploring!) where you can see photos of many of Glasgow's abandoned buildings and sites. Ruchill has lots of photos which are quite sad to look at.

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 19th Feb 2007, 06:31pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
QUOTE (marydee @ 17th Feb 2007, 07:36 PM) *
While there are pockets of Glasgow where severe deprivation exists it has never been easier to be in full time employment and to get on. I appreciate that folk have special memories of 'old Glasgow' but I'm afraid they tend to be the same people who couldn't get out of it quick enough. I love and live in what I believe to be a modern, progressive and wealthy city where houses on the riverbank cost half a million and it is ordinary boys like my son, who was born and raised on the Maryhill Road,

Okay two things here
1. Some of us who left Glasgow never had a choice in the matter, I look back on my life now, and I may be better off in some area's but I am poor in others, yes I have my home & family hear but I work hard and my memories and my memories, You know nothing about me or the others who left Glasgow, if you read back in my posts you will see I am sorry that, I was taken away form Glasgow, although I still have family there is is almost impossible for them to get ahead as you put it, I admit the Glasgow we left is not the Same Glasgow today that does not mean that we don't care about it ,
2 I was born & raised in Maryhill Road, above the Viking pub, there's nothing wrong with that , and there is notheing wrong with trying to better yourself, what I can't see is buying something that you can't afford like a half of a millon pound home, if you have to pay in it for 50years, wou never will own it. or can people even afford to furnish it? I grew up poor, and I am not affraid to admit that to anyone , I don't put on airs I am just me and people either take me the way that I am or they don't take me at all I wear my heart on my sleeve.

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
mitchell
post 19th Feb 2007, 09:47pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,377
Such a shame to see one of the nicest hospital grounds go. The grounds were kept in immaculate condition.
My mother was also a nurse there in the 50s and 60s, she worked mostly in Ward 12 with the meningitis patients, remember going up there one day and met one of the patients. Andy Weir who was a great player for Motherwell.

+Quote Post
marydee
post 20th Feb 2007, 12:47am
Post #19

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,766
I think you miss my point Lennox the vast majority of people who live in Glasgow today are not poor there are plenty of jobs and there are lots and lots of expensive homes worth up to a million pounds. The people who pay a fortune for these homes either come from or have chosen to live in Glasgow. You ask what is the point of aspiring to own such an expensive property or any property if you have to pay for it for 50 years well if you work you pay rent and you pay it forever, you usually stay in a less desireable area and when you die you leave nothing, in terms of property, to your children. As I already acknowledged there are pockets of severe deprivation in many areas of Glasgow and the people who live there face many structural barriers to moving up the social ladder but on the whole Glasgow is a thriving and prosperous city where like anywhere else hard work brings it's own rewards. An example of this prosperity is the fact that it is second only to London for shopping. In answer to other comments about the mix of social and private housing I think Glasgow has make great strides towards this with it's early embracing of the housing association movement that has, throughout the city, built or acquired and renovated many homes for rent. The firm that has bought the Ruchill site is a profit driven business and the provision of social housing is not in it's remit this is the job of local government and housing associations that are registered charities. The inclusion of social housing within private developments would serve to reduce the value of the properties they sell and so reduce their profits. There is no longer the need for social housing on the scale required after WWII Ruchill and places like it have been just about emptied, the old Corporation houses are demolished or boarded up awaiting demolition the people who lived there have been rehoused the new private developments that are up or under construction are affordable to the ordinary Glasgow folk that have bought them. The fact that I was brought up in terrible poverty, in a scheme never stopped me from aspiring to do better and while I never quite achieved what my children have it never stopped me encouraging them to do better and 'get on'. So what do we do with Ruchill Hospital leave it to rot as a monument to the terrible scourge that the infectious diseases that were treated there were, diseases that were so often caused or made chronic by the conditions of the slum tenements that evoke so many memories.

+Quote Post
mitchell
post 20th Feb 2007, 01:16am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,377
Great post!

+Quote Post
Melody
post 20th Feb 2007, 07:01am
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
I think that a lot of this is due to the fact that those who have moved away from anywhere naturally imagine that things have stayed the same as they were when they left them. It always comes as a sad disappointment when we see something that has changed completely since we were young. It saddens our memories.
I wish somebody would tell me where all these well off folks live who can get access to affordable housing most folks I know are struggling to make ends meet and find getting on the property the ladder one horrific struggle. My girls have good jobs and have done extremely well academically however both find it a struggle to buy their flats on one wage. The girls don't live on the crazy Riverbank houses either. That always amuses me because in the past you could not have paid anybody to live in some of these now glamorous addresses. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
marydee
post 20th Feb 2007, 09:18am
Post #22

City Key Holder
Melody your reference to your daughter's struggle to pay for their flats suggests that they have actually purchased homes and are in fact managing to pay for them.

This post has been edited by GG: 20th Feb 2007, 09:23am

+Quote Post
Melody
post 20th Feb 2007, 05:38pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Yes Marydee ' managing' being the operative word. I can't believe that it is easy for very many these days to buy a house with such exorbitant prices. To get away from the personal Marydee, I note you state that you consider there is little need for social housing in that case, have you ever thought about the homeless figures? The fact that grown children have to live with their parents for much longer than they ever did in the past, not through choice but because they cannot afford to move out. Indeed billions of pounds get put into the NHS however this is not being seen at the point of need as the NHS was designed to provide, it is being siphoned off by the large drug companies and PFI. The same applies in housing, people are living in the same standard of housing as would have been built by the corporation however they are made to pay a fortune for the priviledge.

This post has been edited by Melody: 20th Feb 2007, 06:03pm

+Quote Post
marydee
post 20th Feb 2007, 09:44pm
Post #24

City Key Holder
I do not think I said in any of my posts that buying your own home was easy I merely said it was affordable. I agree with Melody that many young people stay longer with their parents now but I think that is more to do with cheapness than necessity. My daughter only recently left home at the age of 29 and before she did her good salary was spent on new cars, clothes and holidays. While she now realises how much of her income goes on housing costs she is hardly living in poverty. Having to tighten her belt now will mean that when she marries she will have a good deposit for her first marital home and the bonus of two incomes to pay for it. While I think homelessness has many definitions I agree that it must be an awful situation to be in and so I would hope that there will always be a safety net for those who do not wish to buy and those who can never hope to. I also believe that the accommodation available to those who live in social housing should be modern, well built, energy efficient, situated where people want to live and come with subsidies in place for rent and council tax, based on income. I think that the Glasgow housing association movement has gone further towards this and in fact has far exceeded the standards set by the old Corporation's Housing Dept. The take-over of the City Council's housing stock by GHA has seen thousands of homes being provided with new central heating, new bathrooms and new kitchens. This has operated alongside the planned demolition of surplus housing stock in areas where even the homeless refused to live. The conversion and development of Ruchill Hospital will bring a lift to a run down area as council services will improve due to owner occupier's demands, it will boost the city coffers by increasing council tax revenues, it will encourage professional and skilled workers to remain or to come to our fine city and it will preserve what is left of a fine old building at no cost to Glasgow's council tax payers.

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 21st Feb 2007, 01:04am
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Having lived out the loop for twenty years now, maybe I shouldnae butt in, but ye's no me so ah will laugh.gif

I have to agree with what Melody's said here Marydee in regards to struggling and getting that down payment for the house.
With the cost of actual 'just living' alone, it's no easy job, no matter how much you want it.....we all know how other things get in the way and need to be paid too.
I also agree with Marydee here in saying that Yes.....it IS affordable to many....but at what cost of quality of life, ie a night oot, a meal ordered in, savings for Retirement ect.....because by the time we get pensions it's going to be iffy if they'll even be in line with Living Costs.

My pal who's just moved back was thirty pounds a day travelling back and forth from Glasgow to Edinburgh, and lots of people commute too.
I know I wouldn't like to be starting out again with today's prices that's for sure.
We moved to our present home nearly six years ago, and in those six years prices have jumped that much in this neighbourhood that there's NO WAY we could move in here now without a lottery win laugh.gif

Phew bless the Edit button.....ah furgoat we werr talkin aboot Ruchill Hospital!
Now that they've sold the Property over I just wonder where they've put the Patients who needed a Hospital to begin with.
Has another one been built? {ask a stupid question}

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 21st Feb 2007, 03:49am
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
biggrin.gif Theres no doubts for me that theres no requirements for a new Hospital being as the populations are reduced etc & yes I too have special memories of folk & family who were patients whom lived & died in Ruchill Hospital but when I was home in 2005 I cried at the wasteland of the entire areas & yes it would be great if we could keep some of the tremendous place as artifact or monument ,especialy I loved the homes for the Drs & them lovely front Entrance areas However man does progress & people & their needs die off it is a harsh reality Folks. May I just say I have read all these posts & from every angle I can objectively see you all have great points to make however one noticeable point for me that is amiss is that Glasgow / Scotland Britain if you like,in comparisons to here in Australia ,are doing & standing a better chance of living there life with a purchased home.

Homes which will eventuate profitts to leave their loved ones regardless as to wether or not they outlive their 50yrs mortgage since we all know theres profit to be gained in purchaseing ones home/flat/townhouse/detached house etc & as I recall from my own experiences of buying & selling our homes before we left Glasgow 17yrs ago we always enjoyed the benefits from 100% Mortgage does that not still be available?If so then thats so great cos it isn`t here,we have 90% Mortgage rates
Over here in Australias Brisbane, Neil & I were so gobsmacked to learn we couldn`t do that here & the homeloans percentages then were 21% so it took us 5 more years than anticipated to save on 1 income with prvate rental living at same time to eventuate to purchaseing our 1st home here 12yrs ago which was to the cost of 6% interest rate by then. We had to raise Lawyers fees up front & pay seperately each bill & the utilitys as well as 10%of the cost of our first home of 107 thousand dollars,I didn`t see that as an easy task,if anything it was harder to move here & go without the trimmings of the brittish Governments provisions to promote homebuyingetc.

My children are going to have to live here with us longer in order to save for the same things as we had yet there going to find it even harder as even with a new 1st home buyers grant of 2000 bucks there homes have tripled in price in the past 5 years we did ok but it appears if the Aussie Governments do not get a move on & allow 100%Mortgage to the young ones now then theres going to be a mammoth need to rent here,when a private rentals on the market one requires a competition with a dozen others to get a chance to rent & well unless you want to live in the bad areas here with the commission homes which yeev a chance in heck of getting unless your a married or unmarried person with kids.

My other point is here that just because we leave Glasgow doesn`t mean we don`t Love it & it also means it isn`t always easy for those whom leave they get culture shocks such as Neil & I had & have to work so hard to get established it wouldve been easier to stay in uk for us but we see our best gain as the weather & the Health systems here so eachypeachy pudding & pie regardless to where what when & how Glasgow folk have to let their expats love their homeland & they mustn`t feel their the ones getting it tuff & us expats getting it easy theres no competitions here we all love the homeland & most of us have been poor so many chipped shoulders around these days,Honestly what was expected of me from Glaswegian family friends & outer ring folks & neighbours was a disgrace they expected me to be well off /richer but Iam no different from them having to make a living crikey if you sold your 100000 hame yeed buy a mansion here for that & when I saw all relatives bought there council homes or there council homes were being renovated well all I could say is crikey yees don`t realise how lucky you all are,oh yes bye the bye theres bad places the world over because theres always some who wont look after there place in the midst of the many who do & willyes theres always gonna be some who shall buy & some whom won`t & theres always gonna be dwindling necessity for the Hospitals homes etc & those whom commute mostly do it cos further away you are the cheaper homes can be.Lets be Gleswegians here & respect regardless to whom left or stayed we are all entitled to grieve what is being lost or celebrate it for that matter & have memories etc. heres to Glesga the ever growing city of Culture & success Glesgas Flourishing just as it wanted to then & it is still doing so today.cheers to all patriots & expats too ye cin take the lass oota Glesga but ye cannae take Glesga oota the Lass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!or Laddie haha

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
Java
post 21st Feb 2007, 07:42am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
I still can't understand why there is a problem with mixing the types of housing. The fact that there were around 17000 home repossessions last year and around 2 million over 30's living with their parents surely indicates that there are still people struggling to own their own homes.

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 21st Feb 2007, 08:38am
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
rolleyes.gif I think Java theres nothing wrong with a mix actualy here they mix we can have a mansion next door to a coonsil hame here & maybe the reasons behind repossesions are people truly have been living beyond their means Pal,I know that whenever we bought homes we based the purchase price on the affordabilitys of 1 wage seems there are too many folk out there purchasing with 2 wages & when theres splits or babys born they get in strife & theres also the sad destructions that come with elderly folk dying & leases of hames in ma or das name & Adult kids urr kicked oot or theres the dreadfull factors of Druggs ,Booze & keeping up with the Jonses & everythings expensive etc etc there has tae be millions of folk who just wait for help & some desperately trying hard for help,Most people who progress tend to move into newer circles,I mean the snooty ok ya brigades that forget where they come frae. Theres the amount of illness & health service cut backs etc plus theres the fact that many scotts leave their hame for new Jobs & horizons,personaly We came here for the weather & Health services as well as populations being less we needed space.Glasgow gets the space yet fills it with hooses ye see am not against yer idea of folk mixing hence earlier I said theres always gonna be some who will maintain thurr hames & some who wont perhaps thats why the buyer wants to have sarrounding buyers so they will like mindedly maintain standards etc,There are a lot of Lazy folks out there as well as busy hard working ones. smile.gif

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
marydee
post 21st Feb 2007, 02:32pm
Post #29

City Key Holder
I believe that Ruchill Hospital closed in 1998 because its' facillities were surplus to NHS requirements and while it served the city well as an infectious diseases hospital for one hundred years the drive to eradicate the terrible incidences of cholera, typhoid,TB, scarlet fever and whooping cough succeeded. The scientific recognition that combined elements were essential to good health prompted the large scale provision of safe water supplies, efficient sanitation, social housing, mass screening and immunisation programmes and free medical treatment for all. As these moves bore fruit and as the conditions, that Ruchill specialised in, all but disappeared so did its' purpose. Several alternatives were tried out there and for some years it became a centre for respitory problems but it was soon recognised that it was cheaper to situate these services in small units, within more modern hospitals. It was also used for a short time as a centre specialising in HIV and Aids but the expected epidemic of these conditions never happened. The NHS were then left with a huge building, probably in need of major repairs and modernisation and extensive grounds that were expensive to maintain and impossible to police and it probably had no option but to close it down. Over the last nine years they then have had the ongoing problem of making the building safe and secure so that the vandals, who would no doubt visit, would not have any reason to sue for damages if they were injured within the property. The NHS estates department must have broke open a bottle of champers when they finally off loaded this albatross and I think the area will be better for its' redevelopment. I do not see what else could have been done with it but I am open to suggestions.

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 21st Feb 2007, 11:27pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Java and Linda, As I said previously, I come from a Council Estate, a house that was eventually bought by my parents, and many of their neighbours did the same.
I have no idea how many still rent in the Estate itself.
I do know though, that some who still rent have many updates completed in their homes by Council, as they should have since the Council own the home and are therefore responsible for the upkeep to the home.
There's no personal expense paid by them that any Owner of a home would have obviously....and that's fair and correct.

However..... biggrin.gif ...
I also know of people who cannot sell their home, {which they previously rented and subsequently bought from the Council} because of renting neighbours who refuse to clean up their outside property because it's 'no their job it's the Councils job'...who do nothing to enhance their surroundings that would subsequently give my friends home more curbside appeal to any prospective buyer.
There's something awfy no fair about this but absolutely nothing that can be done.
You can ask for neighbours help and understanding but it's a hit and a miss if you'll get it, and this obviously applies also to any Private Estate too......and that's a hard lesson in life.

I guess at the end of the day when we buy a home we take in the immediate surrounding properties to get a feel for the area, and most people who put a helluva lot of effort and money of their own into their home would attract me more than taking a bigger chance of maybe...jist maybe...getting a neighbour who expects everyone else to do the everyday grubby work because they don't own the property themselves and therefore have nothing to lose first and foremost financially.

Please understand here.......I was brought up in Council housing, so I'm no 'forgetting where I come from or who I am' but I was also brought up to respect others rights as much as my own....and some people sadly in this world were not, and continue to bring their own up in the same way.

For the reason above, it would not be my first choice to look in a Council Estate if I were buying my own home.
Nor Java would I go for mixed housing, the majority of Human Beings are supportive to each other, but there's always those selfish bastards out there too....yes they could live in Private Estate Housing too......but I believe that's where I would take my chances if given the choice.

Jist my opinion an ye's kin aw shoot me noo laugh.gif

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th Dec 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.